44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Field Reviews

John B

August 20, 2013
This film explores similar themes to Manon of the Spring and Jean de Florette. Those films do it far more effectively. Harris is fantastic as could be expected. Any shortcomings are not attributable to him.
Marcus W

March 27, 2008
Seen Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood? Thought he was good? Me too, till I saw Richard Harris in this. The film itself is very good but it's Harris' stunning performance that grabs you and holds you taught right to the very end when it seems as though even the film can't keep up with him. This is the finest and most powerful performance by an actor I have ever seen. Outstanding.
January 7, 2008
Actors and cinematography where all in rhythm... John Hurt is outstanding. A rather underestimated jewel of filmmaking about hardship and humanity in the emerald island. An underdog movie that'll kick anyone of those"must see movies of the year" mediocre flicks ass.
dakcarm
July 23, 2008
Shows a young Sean Bean. You see him go from being a shy young man growing into being a man who finally stands up for himself.
jopaki69
September 11, 2007
"This movie will teach that greed can take it's toll on on walks of life , a fabulous cast!" I dout you would be disapointed.
jimmorrison713
July 29, 2007
So many movies concentrate on the action(things blowing up) etc etc.. this movie has a time-bomb in it, Bull ....
MovieGuruDude72
July 19, 2007
Richard Harris at his best. A good movie to watch if you're in the mood for good drama and good acting.
ayron.
May 13, 2014
The Field is a film that for me, I only began to like when I thought about it after watching. The film, after a compelling, atmospheric opening sequence dissolves into uninteresting drama involving a man (Bull McCabe) who seems to be very disappointed in his son (Tadgh McCabe) and is incredibly defensive of a large plot of land that he claims to own, but is being held for auction. Towards the final act, the film begins to tell us why he is so defensive of his land, and gives Bull a lot of depth as a character, and also leaves the film open to a lot of thematic interpenetration. However, for a large portion of the film I have no idea why I'm supposed to care for the land or why Bull even cares. One could argue that it adds some mystery to the film, I would argue that it just makes a large portion of the film uninteresting and ponderous. As I said however, the film definitely comes full circle in the end, and I enjoyed interpreting some of the symbolic and thematic elements of the film. I was also very impressed with Richard Harris' diverse performance, he definitely brought a lot to his character and kept my attention even in the uninteresting parts of the film. I liked how much the film differs from the play also, because it still represents the same themes but also gives us a slightly new story with new surprises throughout. Overall the films narrative is lackluster but it deals with interesting themes very well and Richard Harris elevates it all.
September 1, 2013
Richard Harris delivers a magnificent performance of Shakespearian tragic dimensions as the Terrible Old Man of the the grim, powerful film, The Field. This picture has many of the same plot elements as John Ford's The Quiet Man, but where Ford's movie shows the Hollywood fantasy of what every Irish American like Ford would like Ireland to be, The Field depicts the reality of centuries of suffering scraping a near starvation minimum in the best years from the soil taken by foreign landlords centuries before and the horror of the Great Famines that plagued Ireland in the 19th century whose effects are felt there to this day. The beauty of the land is shown in both films, and the audible haunting beauty of the music is heard in both, but the mood of The Quiet Man's soundtrack is joyful and charming, like Ford's sentimental film, while the melancholic tones of The Field reflect the great sorrows of Ireland's fatalistic reality in the 1930s, as does the 1990 movie. Not an enjoyable experience to watch, but the cathartic experience of a great tragedy like Othello, where a man also loses what he loves most through his obsession.
May 27, 2013
Awesome movie, loved it!
May 7, 2013
Superb performance by Harris. Well worth watching, and the bad reviewers shouldbe ashamed of themselves. If only for Harris's powerhouse performance, this is worth viewing.
February 20, 2013
The Field. I went into it with skepticism but Richard Harris was just unbelievable. The detail they went into with his character was sickening. Entertaining the whole way through. I was torn between deciding who was right. Raw drama the whole time, absolutely loved it. 9/10
April 6, 2013
for what its worth the field will show you a simple empoverished rural ireland in the 1930s and may make you laugh even though its not suppose to be funny. now who will dance with this tinker..
March 18, 2013
What an amazing film. Any critic who gave this a bad review is worthless.
February 16, 2013
An Irish farmer upon encountering the possibility of losing the land he has been renting for years when competition arises with the arrival of a wealthy American, comes in contact with his darker side. Sheridan's film loses power by giving way to clichés and sentimentalism to appeal more easily to a wider audience. In this way, he is a little untrue to the original work by John B. Keane. Nevertheless, The Field has a great performance by Richard Harris that is worthy of praise.
October 20, 2010
El orgullo correoso irlandà (C)s
March 20, 2011
Very moving film. Great acting. Both beautiful and Tragic.