14% No Good Deed Sep 12

Cyrano De Bergerac Reviews

garyX
garyX

March 16, 2007
Based on the classic of French literature, Cyrano is the tale of a brave and noble soldier with the body of a bearish brute but soul of a poet who helps a more visually appealing competitor gain the affections of his true love. There are a few parts that certain actors were born to play, and this was Gerard Depardieu's. He is simply wonderful as the eloquent and dashing hero who sets aside his jealousies to achieve true love by vicarious means. It's essentially about being true to one's soul and failing to compromise through all adversity as well as a morality fable with the simple message of "don't judge a book by its cover". It's a faithful adaptation of the material, and as such is quite wordy although its eloquence will win over all but the most hardened action junkie. Passionate, larger than life, romantic and tragic in equal measure, this Cyrano is easily the best screen adaptation and very, very French.
Pierluigi P

September 10, 2010
Gerard Depardieu shines as Cyrano, the brute swordsman with the soul of a witty and loquacious poet. A passionate chant to real love, beyond any superficial matter.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 22, 2009
There is no better Cyrano De Bergerac like the one with Gèrard Depardieu my friends.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 22, 2007
a striking portrayal of the classic work, the story is told well and the camera work and acting are excellent. the choreography and length of the battle scenes was a little less than desireable, but the rest of the film was near perfect. the use of poetry was engaging. a highly recommended and beautiful film.
Lady D

April 3, 2007
Possibly one of the most emotionally charged tragic romances ever written, re-made as a comedy with Steve Martin ? Roxanne, the comparisons between the two storylines were very similar, of course this one the serious version and the re-make, a comedy.

This version offers a poetic tale set back further in time. Quite strangely the star crossed lovers in this case are Cousins, plus the film is in the French language, but it?s English sub-titles are the lines in the poetry that rhyme.

This film does require a certain amount of patience, but it?s worth it for this great French classic.
Daniel P

January 9, 2008
High school French class... yeah... or maybe university?? I don't know... I think I'd remember if it was a better movie, but I remember that it didn't suck despite it being a very slow starter.
ebs90
ebs90

May 26, 2007
A modern epic... when I saw this, which my dad bought for me, i just thought, Wow, this is a real movie. And Gerard Depardieu is a real actor. It just feels a real movie, that lends importance to all five senses of the viewer. The dialogue, in verse, is both hugely romantic and hilarious (in reference to its terrific sense of humor). Perhaps a bit long, but it doesn't show. Depardieu's performance is larger than life: just watch the scene at the balcony. Wow.
deano
deano

March 13, 2007
Gerard Depardieu is perfect for the part, and eminently believable in the more emotional moments of this brilliant French film version of the famous Rostand play.
Byron B

October 3, 2007
High production values, the lived-in colors and the sound of the original French language are really the selling points of this adaptation in my opinion. The sets are freed from the stage. Some slapstick-like comic bits are returned to lighten the mood particularly in the scenes with the soldiers. Gerard Depardieu is made up with a more natural looking large nose. He is more believable in his low self confidence when it comes to expressing his love for Roxane. Anne Brochet as Roxane gets to play a slightly larger role near the end when she sneaks into the camp where Cyrano, Christian and the other soldiers are surrounded. Vincent Perez gives the best portrayal of Christian of the various versions I've seen. A great romance that looks back on a chivalric time and the ideal of a poet/soldier.
Rostron2
Rostron2

September 16, 2010
The 1990 version by Jean-Paul Rappeneau is, to my mind, one of the best adaptations of the Rostand story, and a great romance/drama. This version even surpasses some very fine stage adaptations that I?ve seen, and it?s a great story for the stage. You?ve seen the theme many times, the unrequited love of a tragic hero for the maiden, but never like presented here. Gerard Depardieu made this character and movie completely his own, and Rappeneau managed to make all the members of the love triangle equally sympathetic. Christian does come off as sincere, and Roxane does come off as intelligent, but also kind. This pays huge dividends at the end of the movie, with Cyrano?s big revelation that he?s carried with him for many years.

The film treats the key episodes of the romance and wooing by proxy with a skilled artistry that you don?t see in many romances. The idea of writing someone else?s letters for wooing is humorous, and the humor is played perfectly throughout: It?s never ridiculous, because Depardieu and his co-stars play their roles exactly right. The poetry and Cyrano?s love of words is clear, and even the inexperienced Christian is moved. The film could tip into the maudlin at times, but it doesn?t. It feels true. The duels and wordplay are also well-handled, and even Cyrano?s enemies have good moments. It?s also an interesting period of history, and the whole flashing blades/musketeers era beautifully portrayed. One of the best of its type. The acting and ?being there? feeling is spot-on. You feel every insult, and you see how personal the duels are, both with words, and with swords. The stakes are high with Anne Brochet as the object of the men?s desire. This talented comedienne and actress certainly found some depth and intelligence to a character that is often portrayed as merely coquettish or dismissive. Here, we get all the emotions of the love triangle.

The all-french production also shines with its cinematography, art direction, and of course, costumes. The score by Jean-Claude Petit is appropriate and understated.

The final sequences on the battlefield are well-shot and interesting to watch. The final minutes, with Cyrano?s death are well-handled. If you?ve ever loved someone that didn?t love you, that final scene will poke at your heartstrings.

In French of course, but you hardly notice. Recommended.
John B

February 2, 2008
My favourite film hands down. Is there anything more to say. The themes in the original play have been repeated again and again to death but only this film caputres the range of emotions in the Rostand work.
jimbotender
jimbotender

September 10, 2008
Forget the clumsy 1950 version (the outstanding Jose Ferrer is there but the rest is trash) and follow a re-newed Cyrano,anxious,pragmatist but totally imaginative,as Rappeneau cares not only for his main trio,thus leading us in a theatrical bravado of events and modernizing the classic tale in a charming,ironic way.
Marion R

June 24, 2007
The film didn't flow right and it felt really long. It had nice sets and costumes, but the direction was awkward.
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 27, 2007
Despite its French origins I did enjoy this bitter sweet tale of love and resentment.
zhtexas
January 24, 2010
I have seen bits of an older version of Cyrano de Bergerac in English but I never got to watch the whole thing through. This version was awesome! Gerard Depardieu was so cool! He did a great job being the French version of Cyrano. I didn't think that Roxanne was really very pretty but then I had to remind myself that their standards of beautiful are way different than what they are now. I also thought the Christian looked like Leonardo DiCaprio. Everything was amazing! Even though Cyrano taking on a hudrend men was quite ridiculous. I really don't like Roxanne because she only liked Christian in first place because he was handsome. She didn't even know the guy but yet she is madly in love. But then, she changes her mind and says that she likes even more the fact that he supposedly can talk pretty to her. What happens when he runs out of pretty things to say to her? I really don't like Roxanne until the end, after Christian dies. I thought that the Spainards looked like Ronald McDonald in the fight scene. Also, it was sort of stupid for Christian and Cyrano to be fighting over Roxanne when they are being invaded by Spainards. That was pretty stupid. One of my favorite scenes is when Cyrano pretends that he is a man from the moon to stop De Guiche from stopping the wedding. It was really sad when Cyrano died in the end but at least Roxanne knows now that it was he who wrote the letters to her. It was dumb though when he kept on saying he was going to die, but yet was still alive. Really good movie!
November 2, 2008
i saw this for english. i didnt like this version very much. i thought jose ferrer did a better job of playing cyrano then gerard depardieu
March 5, 2008
This is a great version of the classic Cyrano tale. Gerard Depardieu was totally born to play this role.
LeifSkywalker
October 27, 2007
Cyrano is the man! Screw Romeo and Juliet. If you want to see a classic romantic tragedy, this is the way to go!
luvaddie
June 29, 2007
I saw this movie for the first time in French class in high school and loved it (even with the sub titles).