Teacher's Pet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teacher's Pet Reviews

dietmountaindew
August 12, 2008
"teacher's pet" is probably clark gable's best comedy in his long run career as king of hollywood, even with his leading lady still in the prime age of blossom (which means gable might age, but NOT his leading ladies)..this time sunny-temperamented doris day is the lad in his brutish masculine conquest.

the most grippling charm of "teacher's pet" would be the witty dispution between intellectual elitism and prole populism, and naturally day's professor stands as the former and gable's hard-boiled newspaper editor shall be the latter. as commoners' contempt to the literate educated men, gable dismisses professors as eggheads who only have ideas without practical economical effiency. the romance blooms along with their mutual appreciation and acceptance to their seperate classes. of course, according to the favor of mass ideology, gable's gotta be the one who captivates the lady of the golden key.

but the greatness of this flick would gable's humble willingness to ruminate himself and compromise with some self-reflections. he manifests the intimidation he feels over the elitist meanwhile strives to remain the man who stands firm on his own ground. what makes him adorable would be his boyish vulnerability, just like marlon brando's sexiest scene in "streetcar named desire" would be his heartbreaking snarling for STELLA. he acknowledges his own shortcoming and even bares some sense of insecurity which is not very common in the flicks of gable's younger days.

"teacher's pet" mingles sexual atagonism with class conflicts, and even further toward the coping of intellectual idealism and pragmatic cynicism in the newspaper business. it demonstrates great caliber of humanity with a light-hearted sympathetic touch, being substantially clever and also preserving a gay hollywood ending for audience who wish to have a pleasant time over the weekend.
½ December 23, 2010
It seems that Doris Day used to be the go-to-gal when it came to suffering from men and their mistaken identities. Teacher's Pet is a movie which stands in the tradition of the infamous three Hudson/Day/Randall movies from the 50ies. Oddly enough, the film was done in black&white and the reason for that may very well be the film's biggest drawback. It was done to disguise Clark Gable's age and weight and he still looks rather worn down and bloated. I do like him and while he is no Cary Grant I think he has proven his comic talent (It happened one Night is a fine example), but as a love interest for Doris Day ? I don't think so, he comes across as clumsy old chap more than anything else and I think they should have either cast someone younger and more vital or stuck to the friendship thing. Doris Day does what she does best and balances between the feisty and sexy female and the oogle-eyed blond and proves why she was unique in that respect, that she could play romantic comedies without being degraded into eye candy but still deliver the necessary on screen chemistry. The film is rarely laugh-out loud like other screwball comedies from the time and the humour is more tragic than anything else. I think the film could have done with a more interesting supporting cast, both in the scrip and on the screen. Maybe an elderly governess for Day or a goofy or witty sidekick for Gable, but both characters seem to float in a social vacuum somehow.

All in all, Teacher's Pet does not manage to be all it could have been but is still a charming little movie with a slightly miscast male lead.

HX
mingsysar
September 9, 2006
Clark Gable in the autumn of his career and Doris Day right in the middle of hers, it shouldn't work, but it does. Special mention goes to the late great Gig Young. He steals the film for me.
½ April 19, 2008
Caught Teacher's Pet tonight and watched it again,after many years.Starring the lovely Doris Day and Clark Gable-what a pair.I don't want to say too much to spoil the movie,but it is a wonderful film with witty dialogue and a clever premise.
April 18, 2016
Oldie but a goody. A die hard newspaper editor and a news teacher clash together. Two opposite sides of the idea how a newspaper should be run.
½ October 4, 2009
A fun movie, one of Clark Gable's better later efforts. Doris Day is well cast and does a fine job. They work surprisingly well together. Gig Young steals the show though, in a supporting role. Very entertaining.
June 12, 2009
Teacher's Pet (1958)

This is the beginning of the 60s romantic comedies that Doris Day is famous for. This movie also deals with the clash between the value of a formal eduction versus the school of hard knocks.

James Gannon (Clark Gable) is a hard-boiled city editor. He is ordered by the managing editor to help out the daughter of a renowned newspaper man, Erica Stone (Doris Day) who is teaching journalism in school. He sits in on the class and begins to be attracted to her. They strongly differ in their style of news reporting but they begin to be attracted to each other in other ways.

Of course there is that old fashioned men chasing women thing. And James must compete over Erica's younger boyfriend, Dr. Hugo Pine (Gig Young). Erica is no push-over either, but a self-sufficiant, knowledgeable, professional woman, so this really works out well against the old-fashioned cave-man antics of Gannon.

Also, who can forget the Mamie Van Doren singing number, "I'm the Girl Who Invented Rock-n-Roll"? This is a great RomCom where the older Gable shows that he's still got it.
April 25, 2008
I found this movie to be very entertaining. Gable was hilarious throughout the movie, and I can never get enough of his classic laugh. Doris Day was radiant, especially singing and swaying around in her apartment... yikes! Overall great story too. Great sit down movie, very entertaining!
½ December 18, 2007
Here comes Doris Day, with her smoky voice and her cute romance movie. Oh yes, Clark is a hunk, of course.
½ August 25, 2007
It was cute, but I honestly wasn't that impressed by Clark Gable's performance. I was hoping for more comedy than there was, but if you're looking for the classic "Guy wants girl, screws up, then gets her anyway" film, pick up this one.
½ July 23, 2005
(The mood is saturated because I am so movie-sick right now, there are no words.)

So a few days ago (okay, a week ago), I finished watching Teacher's Pet with Doris Day and Clark Gable. I really enjoyed it, due in no small part to the incredible charm that is Clark Gable.

Today, I watched the rest of Indecision 2004 (so funny), The Devil's Rejects (also funny...and gross and violent and uncomfortable and possibly the most fun I've had in a movie theater in ages) and War of the Worlds (quite entertaining although wow, way to beat us over the head with the aliens-terrorists metaphor).

Now, anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a huge horror movie junkie. I started watching them when I was 9 (hello, Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child) and haven't really stopped enjoying them since. A couple years ago, Chicago-Josh introduced me to a little flick called House of 1000 Corpses, which is basically Rob Zombie's love letter to the horror genre. There are zombies and redneck killers and scary movie cliches aplenty. Oh, we love that movie. The Devil's Rejects is the sequel, and I so prefer it to the original. The soundtrack is awesome, there are great one-liners, and it's just really sharp and funny and gross. I hate to say it, but I hope it just flops at the box office so that I can buy it on DVD in, like, a month and a half. (No offense, Rob Zombie.)

Oh, and while I'm potentially pissing off a guy who could probably give me about 75 different inventive and painful deaths, let me just add that his wife is really hot.
½ June 19, 2005
April 18, 2016
½ December 7, 2015
Esta comedia romántica protagonizada por Clark Gable y Doris Day funciona a la perfección dentro del género, pero también esconde una profunda reflexión (todavía vigente) sobre el papel del periodismo y del periodista. "Teacher's Pet" es mágica, graciosa, actuada a la perfección (Gig Young y Mamie Van Doren no se quedan atrás) y es quizás, una de las mejores miradas cinematográficas al mundo de la prensa escrita.
½ May 21, 2015
ok late career Gable rom-com
October 31, 2014
Gable and Day are a super combination in this gentle comedy.
½ March 3, 2014
Very good and quite a fun dialogue
September 28, 2013
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Highly recommend this to all my friends and family.
December 7, 2012
''To me, journalism is, ah, like a hangover. You can read about it for years, but until you've actually experienced it, you have no conception of what it's really like.''

James Gannon, the hardboiled city editor of a newspaper, believes that the only way to learn the business is by way of the School of Hard Knocks...

Clark Gable: James Gannon / James Gallangher

Doris Day: Erica Stone

Teacher's Pet is a typically delightful B&W comedy/romance that Gable & Day pull off with flying colours and not to mention magnetic chemistry. These days viewers comment on the age differences. I can see why from certain views but in those days it was common place for the man to be older than the woman due to the fact women are far more mature in nature(Not always though!).

Gable gives us a fully realised character, a man consumed by his little possessed education and therefore resentful of anyone who has.

In a comic genius scene between him and Nick Adams, who plays a high school drop-out, he tells the young man that because of his lack of knowledge, "I've spent my life excusing myself from dinner tables and going to the mens room, and I don't want that to happen to you."

Day is a gem, tranquil, beautiful. Her best scene is her copy of Mamie Van Doren's nightclub act, singing The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll to the dismay of Jim, who was seen with her by Erica and Hugo in a club.

Gig Young, who was nominated for an Oscar for his performance, is hilarious as superman Hugo, who believes drunkenness is nothing more than a state of mind, speaks many languages, plays the bongos, and can exceed Jim's war service record. The confrontations between them are hilarious.

In modern times, it's tough to find this intelligent kind of comedy anymore where there are actual characters who have their serious moments, but when one comes along, it's well worth it. Teacher's Pet is a great example of Hollywood at its finest, a top notch script, great stars in Day and Young, and a living legend, Clark Gable, doing what he had been doing for thirty years.

Teacher's Pet is an old classic that still provides humour and Drama and some powerful messages.
½ April 17, 2011
Bitter newspaper editor enrolls in progressive working woman's university journalism course under an assumed name and learns to respect education.