The Front Page Reviews

hunterjt13
October 10, 2012
A reporter and his editor cover the politically motivated, impending execution of a Communist sympathizer.
A slap-dash, map-cap film filled with sharp dialogue, The Front Page is reminiscent of older films that accentuated good writing and fast-paced dialogue -- none of this subtext shit. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are at their comic best, spitting their lines out like the clacking of typewriter keys. From the "they don't make 'em like they used to" file, this film is a quick-witted ride that seems like the only thing it's missing is a Groucho Marx pun and a wave of a cigar.
However, at the end of all the shenanigans, I can't say that there's a lot of substance to the film. Each character is flat, and a young Susan Sarandon plays Peggy the way she's written -- as an annoying house frau wannabe whose sole ambition is joy-sucking her soon-to-be husband. There aren't many surprises in the plot.
Overall, I suppose that many of my criticisms judge the film on terms it doesn't subscribe to because in the end The Front Page wants to be fun and it is.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ March 1, 2012
So, His Girl Friday is my favorite movie, like, ever. And this adaptation is certainly missing that *thing* that makes His Girl Friday king. His Girl Friday has a kind of lyrical, musical quality about it that makes it fun, fast-paced and AMAZING. This, is a movie. And painfully so.
I watched this because of Jack Lemmon. And he was quite good. But not quite Rosalind Russell. I think he could have pulled off the fast-paced dialog that Hawks introduced too.
Overall, glad I watched it, but Grant and Russell do it MUCH better.
½ September 5, 2010
This is actually a remake of an older movie, which was a remake of an older movie too, so it's nothing new. It's pretty funny in some scenes, but that's about all I liked about it. It's pretty good, but it could be better.
dietmountaindew
September 30, 2009
"the front page" is the third time re-adaption of the stage play by ben hencht(who wrote the original scarface) and chas. macarthur. the first appearance on screen was in 1931, and the second time would be the most reputable one "his girl friday" in 1940 by howard hawks who had co-operated with hecht previously in "scarface"...now this time, billy wilder gets his feet wet with this sassy script of rotten journalism, spicing it up with even more political cynicism which is wilder's trademark, a sneer to various aspects of conventional americanism, such as patriotism gets mocked in "stalag 17", bureaucracy of enterprise in "the apartment", homophobia in "some like it hot", hollywood decay in "sunset blvd.", capitalist's narcissism in "love in the afternoon"...etc.

the script is also penned partly by wilder whose version is more faithful to the hencht's play except some few parts he added to make fun of emasculated dandyism, maccarthyism parody...and the stimulus appears so often that it loses its brightfulness and ceases to be funny when it comes to the satire of journalism, wilder does a superb job in his own script "ace in the hole" with kirk douglas in the 50s...
garyX
November 5, 2006
Disappointing remake of His Girl Friday kept watchable by the comic talents of one of the best double acts in the business.
October 26, 2009
Almost as good as its predecessor, "His Girl Friday" - but lacking the staccato rhythm and the charm that made Howard Hawks's film a classic. You can't compare Matthau's version of Walter Burns to Cary Grant's (they are playing on so different levels) but you may still enjoy it.

It seems that (as the word has it) Hildy Johnson as a woman works better as a character than Hildy Johnson as a man. It totally adds a twist to the plot, linking the two protagonists with a romance undercurrent...Wait a minute, this is not a "His Girl Friday" review.

Anyway, you get the point. I loved Hawks's film so much I can't even begin to write about this one. You can have your pick!
February 24, 2010
65/100. Although this is the least effective of the three filmed versions of this story, it is still good. You can?t go wrong with the Billy Wilder/Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau combination. Carol Burnett, as much as I like her, was a disappointment and over does it a bit. Austin Pendleton and Jack Lemmon come off best in the cast. Fair art direction and feel for the period. You can't really go too wrong with a great story like this one.
February 3, 2007
I confess, I've actually only seen the last half of this movie, but I found it amusing and enjoyable.
½ October 13, 2006
Never have I been so disappointed in such a dream collaboration in my life. Stick with "His Girl Friday".
June 3, 2006
This movie is based on the same play His Girl Friday is based on, and was also the first Lemmon-Matthau movie I'd ever seen. I didn't like His Girl Friday much the first time I watched it three years ago but this wasn't at all bad, so I now wonder if I'd like the first movie better. Desafortunademente, I have not much to say about this movie except that it was a fairly decent comedy, neither brilliant nor horrendous.
½ January 17, 2015
Muy divertida, no paran ni un instante
July 31, 2008
The first time I saw it I was very tense, because the atmosphere is quite claustrophobic and the issues treated are strong... However, at a second watch, you know how it's going on, you can concentrate more in the jokes, and that dark sense of humour becomes a little more quietful. The summary is that I liked each projection, by different reasons, which are different good points about the movie. Everything fits perfectly, every dialog, as it has to be, works with the precision of a Swiss clock. That's a classic, one you don't care to watch it one thousand times, you like it.
½ December 22, 2013
The Front Page is a decent film. It is about an escaped death row convict who shows up at the office of a tabloid newspaper trying to convey his innocence. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau give good performances. The screenplay is enjoyable but a little in places. Billy Wilder did an alright directing this movie. I like this motion picture because of the humor and drama.
½ October 30, 2012
"His Girl Friday' is sitll the better version. But I love me some Matthau and Lemon.
½ May 21, 2012
some of the scenes might get a little too silly, but for the most part, billy wilder's "the front page" delivers some really good comedy with hilarious performances from jack lemmon and walter matthau.
January 30, 2012
Not a rolling on the floor laughing kind of movie, but with an all star cast and Billy Wilder's direction it's first class entertainment.
½ January 17, 2012
This movie is great! Really sharp and layered and hilarious and poignant.
½ September 28, 2010
It's no 'The Odd Couple' but it is definitely a great film. It is a great satire wich whose genre is almost impossible to determent. It could be comedy , drama or even a thriller. Jack Lemmon is great as one of the 20's journalists Hildy Johnson who happens to be one of the best and also is about to get married and leave to California forever , so his editor Walter Burns (Matthau) tries to do anything to keep him from getting there. But Hildy's inter journalist can't stop himself from staying when he gets an exclusive front page story. With great directing of Mr. Wilder it scores where Grumpy Old Men later misses.
July 22, 2011
My favorite version of this is still 1940's "His Girl Friday," but this one was great, too. In this version, Hildy Johnson is played by a man (Jack Lemmon), with Walter Burns (Walter Matthau) as simply an old friend instead of an old lover. I'll admit, it's a good thing they were allowed to swear in this one because it's always fun to hear those two go full profanity.
January 14, 2011
Good story, but not as funny as other Lemmon-Matthau movies. Still pretty nice plot