Mad Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Love Reviews

September 3, 2010
I'm madly in love with this movie and Peter Lorre! It's so beautiful and horrific all at once, very romantic. If you love old horror movies, you must see this one.
½ October 6, 2009
Peter Lorre gives another wonderfully creepy performance as brilliant but off his rocker Dr. Gogol. He is in love with actress Yvonne Orlac (Frances Drake). She is married to a concert pianist (Colin Clive). When Orlac's hands are crushed in a train accident, Yvonne goes to him for help. His love for her (and his loose screws) persuade him to do some dastardly deeds that he hopes will ruin Orlac, both physically and emotionally, on the idea that Yvonne will leave her husband for Gogol. Soime really unsettling scenes, particularly when Gogol kisses Yvonne at her going-away party. Gets fewer stars than it should because the character, for comic relief I suppose, of the wisecracking reporter (played by Ted Healy, who I believe gave the Three Stooges their start) was out of place. Otherwise, well-done.
rubystevens
January 2, 2008
muahahahahaha! peter lorre's first hollywood film is a remake of the german silent horror orlacs hande, in which a mad doctor grafts a murderer's hands onto a pianist. fantastic campy performance
366weirdmovies
½ June 15, 2008
Demented surgeon Gogol (Peter Lorre) grafts new hands onto a concert pianist who is also the husband of the woman he loves. Trouble is, he chooses hands that once belonging to a murderer. Lorre's hammy yet tragic performance is the main attraction here.
½ October 7, 2010
I usually hate Peter Lorre, but I didn't mind him in this. I found it fairly 'meh' though. For a simple plot and a short film, it took a long time for things to happen.
December 12, 2008
It felt like a foreign film as I just found out that it is a remake of a German film. Strange context and subject matter. A really cool film. Lorre is very good as the obsessed surgeon.
February 24, 2008
Peter Lorre is amazing in this quirky cult classic. Very fun.
½ February 22, 2009
Mad Love (1935) -- [7.0] -- Peter Lorre stars as a doctor so obsessed with an actress (Frances Drake), that after a train wreck destroys her husband's hands, Lorre offers to perform a transplant. Problem is, the new hands once belonged to a murderer, and old habits die hard... even for disembodied hands. "Mad Love" benefits from Lorre's creepy performance and many exotic settings, including recreations of a famous Guignol playhouse where the ushers are masked monsters and the ticket salesman has no head. The plotting is far more intricate than most other horror films from its time (or beyond its time). For a while, the script feels like its all over the place, but rest assured that all of the disparate elements -- including a wax doppelganger of the actress -- come together in the end. My favorite scene is a clandestine meeting between the actress' husband (Colin Clive from the "Frankenstein" films) and a masked, whispering character who reveals himself to be the previous owner of Clive's murderous hands. Director Karl Freund worked as cinematographer on "Metropolis" and "Dracula" before directing his first American film, "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff. Though he'd continue photographing films and television into the '50s, "Mad Love" would be his last time in the directing chair.
½ June 27, 2009
What a creepy little film. Great atmosphere, genuinely eerie and Peter Lorre is amazing as a mad doctor. His performance is over the top, but he is supposed to be insane. Good cinematography and lighting. Short and fast paced. A unique and fascinating story that is very well done.
April 19, 2008
One of my favorite 30's horror movies. Really creepy. Peter Lorre is a lonely but insane surgeon who replaces a pianist's hands with the hands of a killer. Lorre can go from funny to frightening to sad and touching quicker than any actor. He's absolutely amazing.
March 8, 2008
Mad Love is a terribly underrated horror gem. It's very original and has a great plot with Peter Lorre in the lead. Very suspenseful climax.
February 24, 2007
Just about the finest crazy-guy performance by Peter Lorre ever put on film. (And that's saying something!) The luminecent cinematography, and a great show by Colin Clive create a classic Universal-type vibe.
November 24, 2006
Peter Lorre is a creep. The ending seemed a little abrupt, but it's a very stylish horror piece for 1949. I've also decided that I have something of a crush on Colin Clive. He's so intense.
December 6, 2012
A perfect little horror film. Lorre's first in the US, and quite a treat to see him with both Clive & Healy.
½ October 12, 2015
It's absurd that this has 100% on rotten tomatoes, but yeah, it's a good movie. I've seen it a handful of times and always enjoy it. Lorre is great. The wax dummy stuff is great. Very enjoyable little film.
March 26, 2015
Perhaps more appropriately titled, "The Hands of Orlac", after the French source material, this horror film involves a hand transplant (from knife throwing murderer to concert pianist) where the hands have a will of their own. Peter Lorre, in his first American film, is disturbing as the icky sleazy warped doctor who is infatuated with the actress married to the concert pianist. There are some good creepy moments where Lorre seems to drool over torture scenes in a play starring the actress - what is his infatuation with her? Is it some kind of degraded sexual fetish? Lorre makes you think so. The rest of the film (and even Karl Freund's heralded direction) can't keep up with Lorre's standards.
½ January 7, 2015
Each man kills the things he loves.

A mad scientist falls in love with an actress of a local play. Unfortunately, the actress is married to a traveling musician and intends on leaving the play and town. The pianist is in an unfortunate accident and loses his hands and the only person who can save him is the mad scientist. The scientist gives him hands that work, but they're the hands of a killer. The hands will make him start killing hopefully leading to the pianist getting locked up and the scientist getting the girl...but nothing ever goes as planned for mad scientists!

"I've been meeting you in my dreams all of my life."

Karl Freund, director of The Mummy, Dracula (Bela Lugosi), The Countess of Monte Cristo, Uncertain Lady, Gift of Gab, and I Give My Love, delivers Mad Love. The storyline for this picture is compelling and contains fantastic characters. The villain was depicted perfectly and the script, backdrops, and costumes and make-up were perfect. The cast delivers splendid performances and includes Peter Lorre, Frances Drakes, Colin Clive, Ted Healey, Sara Haden, and Keye Luke.

"I'm afraid we'll have to amputate."

I DVR'd this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past holiday season and was excited to watch this Lorre masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance and thought he played the villain masterfully. This is a classic gem that belong on TCMs annual rotation and is borderline worth adding to your classic collection if you're a fan of the genre.

"That would probably cause him to...commit murder himself..."

Grade: A-
½ October 25, 2013
According to the reviews, this film is some kind of horror classic, but I'm not buyin' it. The story is ridiculous and the cast wisely performs it with campy gusto. I was laughing at the screen and yet I get the feeling that everyone involved was laughing along with me. Still, I wasn't impressed and Lorre would go on to do better things in his American career.