Mad Love

90% Outlander: Season 1

Mad Love Reviews

AJ V

September 3, 2010
I'm madly in love with this movie and Peter Lorre! It's so beautiful and horrific all at once, very romantic. If you love old horror movies, you must see this one.
Cindy I

October 6, 2009
Peter Lorre gives another wonderfully creepy performance as brilliant but off his rocker Dr. Gogol. He is in love with actress Yvonne Orlac (Frances Drake). She is married to a concert pianist (Colin Clive). When Orlac's hands are crushed in a train accident, Yvonne goes to him for help. His love for her (and his loose screws) persuade him to do some dastardly deeds that he hopes will ruin Orlac, both physically and emotionally, on the idea that Yvonne will leave her husband for Gogol. Soime really unsettling scenes, particularly when Gogol kisses Yvonne at her going-away party. Gets fewer stars than it should because the character, for comic relief I suppose, of the wisecracking reporter (played by Ted Healy, who I believe gave the Three Stooges their start) was out of place. Otherwise, well-done.
rubystevens
rubystevens

January 2, 2008
muahahahahaha! peter lorre's first hollywood film is a remake of the german silent horror orlacs hande, in which a mad doctor grafts a murderer's hands onto a pianist. fantastic campy performance
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

June 15, 2008
Demented surgeon Gogol (Peter Lorre) grafts new hands onto a concert pianist who is also the husband of the woman he loves. Trouble is, he chooses hands that once belonging to a murderer. Lorre's hammy yet tragic performance is the main attraction here.
Lauren D

October 7, 2010
I usually hate Peter Lorre, but I didn't mind him in this. I found it fairly 'meh' though. For a simple plot and a short film, it took a long time for things to happen.
Marion R

December 12, 2008
It felt like a foreign film as I just found out that it is a remake of a German film. Strange context and subject matter. A really cool film. Lorre is very good as the obsessed surgeon.
Christopher B

February 24, 2008
Peter Lorre is amazing in this quirky cult classic. Very fun.
February 22, 2009
Mad Love (1935) -- [7.0] -- Peter Lorre stars as a doctor so obsessed with an actress (Frances Drake), that after a train wreck destroys her husband's hands, Lorre offers to perform a transplant. Problem is, the new hands once belonged to a murderer, and old habits die hard... even for disembodied hands. "Mad Love" benefits from Lorre's creepy performance and many exotic settings, including recreations of a famous Guignol playhouse where the ushers are masked monsters and the ticket salesman has no head. The plotting is far more intricate than most other horror films from its time (or beyond its time). For a while, the script feels like its all over the place, but rest assured that all of the disparate elements -- including a wax doppelganger of the actress -- come together in the end. My favorite scene is a clandestine meeting between the actress' husband (Colin Clive from the "Frankenstein" films) and a masked, whispering character who reveals himself to be the previous owner of Clive's murderous hands. Director Karl Freund worked as cinematographer on "Metropolis" and "Dracula" before directing his first American film, "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff. Though he'd continue photographing films and television into the '50s, "Mad Love" would be his last time in the directing chair.
April 13, 2011
Generally speaking, I am inclined to sympathize with the villain in this sort of tale. A mad man falls in love with a beautiful woman who belongs to another man and does everything in his power to make her his own in his obsessive desires... but Peter Lorre is so fantastically creepy that I have a hard time being truly empathetic for ol' Doc Gogol. Great flick.
jam233
June 27, 2009
What a creepy little film. Great atmosphere, genuinely eerie and Peter Lorre is amazing as a mad doctor. His performance is over the top, but he is supposed to be insane. Good cinematography and lighting. Short and fast paced. A unique and fascinating story that is very well done.
April 19, 2008
One of my favorite 30's horror movies. Really creepy. Peter Lorre is a lonely but insane surgeon who replaces a pianist's hands with the hands of a killer. Lorre can go from funny to frightening to sad and touching quicker than any actor. He's absolutely amazing.
holmennnguy
March 8, 2008
Mad Love is a terribly underrated horror gem. It's very original and has a great plot with Peter Lorre in the lead. Very suspenseful climax.
TheBogMan1031
February 24, 2007
Just about the finest crazy-guy performance by Peter Lorre ever put on film. (And that's saying something!) The luminecent cinematography, and a great show by Colin Clive create a classic Universal-type vibe.
mmesquid
November 24, 2006
Peter Lorre is a creep. The ending seemed a little abrupt, but it's a very stylish horror piece for 1949. I've also decided that I have something of a crush on Colin Clive. He's so intense.
BatMime
October 25, 2013
According to the reviews, this film is some kind of horror classic, but I'm not buyin' it. The story is ridiculous and the cast wisely performs it with campy gusto. I was laughing at the screen and yet I get the feeling that everyone involved was laughing along with me. Still, I wasn't impressed and Lorre would go on to do better things in his American career.
May 17, 2012
Peter Lorre's is masterful once again. Love obsessed Dr. Gogol is driven to madness. In his genius he is a wizard of medicine crossing the lines of taboo but yet he is socially inept. His ego cannot be denied and he is determined to conquer love. Great cinematography combined with science fiction issue of transplant surgery make for a great dark story. Lorre is powerful in obsession and madness.
January 15, 2011
Lorre's character is easily the most effective of the unsympathetic monsters in '30s horror and this version does a far better job of developing the supporting characters than the original 1924 film did. The only black mark is the ending, which is sudden and uninspired.
simon m.
October 22, 2010
This is Peter Lorre's first Hollywood film and it is a good one with lots of creepy atmosphere and effects. Lorre plays a mad surgeon, Dr. Gogol who becomes obsessed with an actress, Yvonne, who is married to a classical pianist and composer, Stephan.

After a terrible accident, Yvonne's husband Stephan has to have his hand amputated. His career seems like it is over. To avoid amputation, Yvonne takes Stephan to Dr. Gogol and begs him to save her husband's hands. Dr. Gogol has just returned from a beheading of a murderous circus knife thrower and comes up with a plan to graft the murderer's hands onto Stephan.

The operation is a success, but Stephan can't play the piano and he suddenly finds it impossible to stop throwing knives at people. Gogol finds this out and thinks he can take Yvonne away by convincing Stephan that he is a murderer.

I loved the creepy gothic look of this movie and the story, even though absurd, is well-done and at times fun to watch. Lorre was a strange looking man, but an actor that uses that strange look to maximum advantage. Just by gazing at Lorre's face, you can actually see the gears turning inside of his head. He was really extraordinary. This movie is definitely for people who like old black and white movies with great performances. It is a thrilling chiller of a move that is fun to watch.