• PG, 1 hr. 55 min.

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 16, 2010
There Was Only One.

Good baseball movie! This film was genuinely uplifting and to all who only saw the negative side of this film, shame on you. John Goodman is a huge Babe fan and even he felt that this was an acurate portrayal of the Bambino. The film is inspiring, positive for the most part and it's made me feel good every time I've seen it.

The Babe is a biopic of George Herman 'Babe' Ruth. The film follows his seemingly bi-polar life from being abandoned by his father at an orphanage, to the discovery of his tremendous home-run hitting ability and finally to his later days. Several items from his legend are included (whether true or not) including: His calling of of a home run, the promise to a dying youngster to hit two home runs in a game that day, and the quote that he had a better year than the president.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 21, 2013
Considering that Babe Ruth is the greatest Baseball player that ever lived, you'd think that a film on his life would a memorable and highly entertaining film. The Babe is not a great film, but it's not an awful one either. As a whole it a fun little film that is good, but leaves a lot to be desired. There could have been many things that could have been improved upon, but for what it is, it's mindless entertainment value. I felt that considering Ruth's story, a film based on his life could definitely have been something great, but this film falls short. I enjoyed the film, but considering that Babe Ruth was such an icon, it could have been much better. Despite the inaccuracies, John Goodman is quite good in the lead and does what he can with the material. This film may appeal to Baseball fans, and they mind it entertaining and it is, but it far from what it could have been. The script is underdeveloped and there are clearly good ideas at work, but it plot could have been better structured. With The Babe, we get an underrated biopic of Babe Ruth, that is better than what most critics have said, but the definitive film on Babe Ruth has yet to be made. Entertaining and amusing, The Babe was made with inaccurate facts of Babe Ruth, instead opting for your typical Hollywood style storyline. Although flawed, I liked it, buy like I said, it could have been better as well. Although not the greatest Sports drama filmed, it is not the worst, that honor belongs to The Rookie, which was awful. Goodman gives the film its charm, and he is quite good here. The Babe is a fun little film that manages to overcome its imperfections due to an interesting subject.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

June 14, 2007
John Goodman turns Babe Ruth into an asshole - pretty much sums up the film.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Made for TV feel good film. I kept watching so it couldn?t have been all that bad. Goodman is very good but it helps if you?re a fan of baseball (I?m not though so whatever)!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 20, 2007
its been a while but i remember liking this movie. john goodman is always good and the babe is a good time. while liking this flick, it was fairly historically inaccurate, but most of these movies are.
February 13, 2010
A huge disappointment. The Babe paints a very harsh portrayal of an American hero. It has to be one of the worst baseball movies I've seen. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
June 29, 2013
Possibly the worst sports film I have ever seen. Goodman is absolutely dreadful and full of more ham than an entire delicatessen. Frankly, this film is an insult to Babe Ruth and everything he did. I wish this film was never made.
kinadeon
February 11, 2012
In the world of baseball, there's no kid out there who hasn't heard the name Babe Ruth. I can't even remember how I first learned about the Sultan of Swat. Maybe Ted Marrugi?

It was good to learn a little history about the man I knew so very little about. The movie seemed very rushed, especially the Babe's highlight years with the Yanks. But in the end, it was decent and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it.

Man, I can't wait for the season to start. Watching these baseball movies makes me want to go read tons of history and biographies about these teams and players.
MovieGuruDude72
May 11, 2007
Hands down the worst Babe Ruth movie ever made. Not only over the top, but so overdramatical that it tarnishes Ruth's memory.
August 11, 2006
This movie was great. John Goodman's protrayal of Babe Ruth was classic and perfect... just a huge lumbering drunken ass
September 13, 2014
Like all true baseball fans Babe Ruth is still where we go when we begin speaking of the game that we love so much, and John Goodman is one of my favorites, which just makes the fact that this thing is this bad makes it even worse. Every time MLB plays it I end up watching, but I hate myself afterwards.
May 5, 2013
One of the best baseball movies. I thought it was entertaining throughout and undeserved of critics' "criticism". Hollywood just could not come up with a fictional Babe Ruth. I would suggest picking-up HBO's "Babe Ruth: The Life Behind The Legend" DVD.
January 15, 2013
I like movies that make me think. If a movie can't do this then it probably won't keep me long. This was so entertaining that I couldn't help but continue watching. Goodman is very good as well as the rest of the cast. I'm not sure how accurate it was but they certainly relied on coincidence to allow for as many (historical?) events to make their way in as they could. There will be no tribute to this film in Canton anytime soon due to the fact that the film doesn't take itself too serious but Ruth is painted as a bit of a tragic figure without resorting to being sappy. NOT for children.
January 7, 2013
This film's quite boring in my opinion.
August 1, 2011
I didn't think this was as bad of a movie as most of the critics say. I mean, it is pretty cheezy, but it does tell the life of Babe Ruth pretty damn well. The acting wasn't the best, but they did do a really good job of making John Goodman look really young and then old too. Besides the end, when Babe has throat cancer, this is a pretty mood raising movie. It was really fun to watch, and although it has some flaws, it's a good movie all in all
July 4, 2011
the best movie by the great part that the hit with the fact of two home runs for that one sick boy that and has one of basball gods like hank aron barry bounds. watch it....
Ira K.
February 2, 2010
Could they have gotten a character double for the baseball scenes? I look more like a baseball player swinging the bat than John Goodman did. Movie was rather slow, and distorted some realities of his life, while not showing me anything I didn't already know. C'mon who is going to believe that the best and most popular baseball player of all time is focused on managing while still at the height of his talent and fame as a player? In reality, only when his skills had diminished did he yearn to become a manager.
Paul Celano
November 27, 2009
This was a pretty decent film and I would say that John Goodman did an excellent job playing Babe Ruth. The one thing that bugged me was the fact that they tried to fit all of Babe Ruth's life within 115 minutes. So you could say that the film jumped around a lot and it did test my nerves a little. The rest of the cast was ok. I actually liked Kelly McGillis's performance more than Trini Alvarado. The movie was just a nice little film that was fun to watch. You find yourself enjoying how they bring up all the other baseballs players from the past.
jennifer's picks & pa
April 22, 2006
I'm beginning the rather lengthy task of entering into the database every film I have seen, at least those I have a decent memory of. Some may have the briefest of reviews while many will just have a number. Those films that I consider personal favorites and/or those that have some historical signficance I will add later when I have time for more lengthy reviews.

[b]White Squall[/b] Director: Ridley Scott. Stars Jeff Bridges, Scott Wolf, Caroline Goodall and John Savage. Fact-based coming-of-age story about a bunch of wealthy prep-schoolers who's parents pay for them to learn how to sail. Tragedy soon strikes.

[b]A Walk in the Clouds[/b] Director: Alfonso Arau. Stars Keanu Reeves, Anthony Quinn, Aitana Sanchez-Gijon, and Giancarlo Giannini. Romantic drama set after WWII. Not horrible, but not good enough to recommend.

[b]White Man's Burden[/b] Director: Desmond Nakano. Stars John Travolta, Harry Belafonte, Margaret Avery and Kelly Lynch. The film takes a look at racism in reverse where blacks are wealthy and the whites are the poorer underclass. Good idea for a film, but poorly written and executed here.

[b]The Babe[/b]. Director: Arthur Hiller. Stars John Goodman, Kelly McGillis, and Trini Alvarado. Forgettable sports drama about Babe Ruth.