The Cutting Edge Reviews

½ March 20, 2007
This movie shined because of the great rapport between DB Sweeney and Moira Kelly. It was a fun, funny and cute movei wrapped up in a nice package. When i worked at a video store when this came out. When people asked me for a good movie they hadnt heard of I recommend this one. We had one copy and it was never in. Not one person ever said they disliked it.
½ April 28, 2012
Somewhat a cult classic, and more than anything a vapid romantic comedy, The Cutting Edge is a slightly mindless film about a figure skater and a hockey player who need each other in order to succeed and go to the 1992 Olympics in pairs figure skating. I shouldn't say it's completely mindless, because though the plot is low and meandering, and the actual film itself borders on boring in originality, the characters aren't too bad. Their banter is probably the most enticing aspect of the film, and the reason many people love this enough to grant it another two movies in the late two-thousands. The characters themselves aren't very bright or intuitive and they follow the standard calibration for a romantic comedy: she's rich and privileged, he's blue collar rogue. It's very simple and neat as we expect, but there are some things that really bother me about this film, to an extent. Well, I found that formula without wanting, but the skating routines in this film are lazy. The nineties didn't yield the best slow motion, CGI, or freeze frames, and certainly didn't have music that doesn't make us cringe today. The routines are shown mostly from the skates, and leave much to the imagination They pan to the actors' faces, and then it's back to the skates. It's not that big a deal, but the final scene that clenches their victory is based on a singular move they pull off, and we as the audience don't even see it because they're focused on their faces. I saw a lot of the spoof Blades of Glory in this, especially in the last scene, and weirdly I think that film did a lot better in showcasing the actual skill and beauty of figure skating compared to this, which was far more focused on this partnership. Don't get me wrong about the actors, as Moira Kelly already enchanted me in Chaplin, and D.B. Sweeney is likable though pretending to be rough and tough whilst wearing spandex. There's nothing new or passionate about this, but you'll generally like it if you're into ice skating or want to lie around and watch a goofy romantic comedy.
FilmFanatik
December 24, 2007
Not entirely worth your time.
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
Toe pick! Toe this! 2 stars!
October 4, 2007
Excellent movie with a great cast. These to have chemistry on the screen and the movie is fun.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
boring
sainttom93
January 14, 2007
Good for Olympic buffs -- good skating scenes -- they never tell you who did the doubles, though ---
November 7, 2006
I love this movie, very well done.
½ July 31, 2012
The Cutting Edge is a fun romantic comedy, and a beloved cult classic from the '90s. It's the story of a washed up hockey player and a stuck-up figure skater that must work together in order to reach their dream of winning Olympic gold. The cast includes D. B. Sweeney, Moira Kelly, and Terry O'Quinn, who all deliver good performances. Sweeney and Kelly have great chemistry and really work well together. However, the directing is a bit weak and doesn't build the tension of the skating competitions well. Yet, The Cutting Edge holds up as an entertaining film with a touching story.
November 17, 2009
"It skated into my mind, and made a goal in my heart!"

"The Cutting Edge" is a timeless classic, that unlike "Dirty Dancing", is good for the heart and powerful to watch.

When opposites attract, things could be explosive, not implosive like two physicaly attracted, star crossed lovers in "Dirty daning'.

"A Sensational Film" Four out of Four Stars"

Skip " The "Dirty" and "Dancing" and go for some of "The Cutting Edge"
April 1, 2010
Only watch this movie if you dreamed of being an ice skater when you were little. And you are super depressed, lying on the couch, eating chocolate, and thinking of simpler times.
½ May 20, 2008
cute chick flick, thats all i have to say about this one, worth the watch
½ August 11, 2007
This movie was fun to watch. D.B. Sweeney was simply adorable and Moira Kelly plays such a rich bitch, that the opposites attract keep this movie fun and charming. It's mainly on ice skating and we see how this duo work out their differences to be a team and eventually grow to fall in love in the end. A total chick flick that will keep you smiling.
iLeo
½ April 12, 2007
A favorite from my childhood.
½ May 30, 2012
½ May 19, 2012
Somehow, I've only seen the sequel before this movie, so I was really surprised to find that it's really good. As in, the chemistry between the characters is wonderful, the plot moves at a good pace, and the conflict was mainly their sizzling relationship. The crazy skating trick was...meh. But, luckily that wasn't the focus. It was the relationship of the characters while performing their art.
December 4, 2011
Fantastic movie. Great ice skating flick that I very much enjoyed. Moira Kelly and D.B. Sweeney were amazing! The ending is awesome too. Loved it a lot.
June 9, 2008
I love chick flicks and this is one of my all time favorites. I have no idea why I am such a sucker for anything that involves professional ice skating, but I am. This movie is the perfect combination of ice skating, sass, and romance. Of course the crude hockey player and perfect princess with an attitude adds to the greatness.
½ December 9, 2010
The Odd Couple on ice skates. Naturally, they fall in love. There's Olympics gold, too. I like this one. Romance, athletics, gamesmanship, self-knowledge. Plausible story.
October 13, 2008
when circumstances bring a professional hockey player and a professional figure skater together, comedy, drama and romance ensue.

uber chessy and oh-so corny, I still love this film. ♥

** review to be continued **