Kid Galahad Reviews

June 15, 2010
Kid Galahad is just an okay boxing movie when you consider the talent involved. Edward G. Robinson seems to be just kind of... there and Humphrey Bogart merely turns in a canned Murderer's Row performance. Bette Davis plays a forgettable role but considering she's never looked better, I didn't mind. Kid Galahad definitely doesn't fall into the essential viewing category but if you're on an Edward G or Bogie kick that just won't die, its not a bad way to chase the dragon...
½ September 5, 2010
This movie brings the words quaint and sentimental to mind. This movie combines elements of romance and sports drama in a nice way, but it was too nice I think, it could have been more realistic. In other words more conflict. Good, but it could be better.
rubystevens
December 2, 2009
despite bogie, edward g and bette davis, the film is just ok. the usual boxing cliches...anyway it's gotta be better than the musical remake with elvis :p
jjnxn
February 17, 2008
Excellent fight picture with Edward G and Bette working well together, her role, Fluff, seems atypical for Davis but its nice to see her in something a little different and of course she infuses the part with her customary grit.
½ October 27, 2014
This gangster-boxing film with Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart and Bette Davis, though predictable, really scored a knockout with me. It definitely ranks amongst my favourite boxing films now.
½ September 14, 2013
Kind of a hokey boxers-and-gangsters picture, with some good actors in it to keep things entertaining. I like Edward G. Robinson as the larger-than-life boxing manager, and Bette Davis looks particularly fetching in this. The "Battling Bellhop" himself (Wayne Morris) is a vanilla stiff, and Humphrey Bogart is still going through his period of playing generic gangsters, so no great shakes from him. Predictable and sentimental ending aside, if you're a fan of any of the actors involved, 'Kid Galahad' is still worth a watch.
March 12, 2013
Edward G. Robinson is cast as a tough manager who discovers, quite by accident, a young bellhop (Wayne Morris) with a punch he feels is strong enough to win a championship for him...

When the fighter falls for his sister (Jane Bryan), Robinson decides to double-cross him and arranges a bout with a tough opponent he feels will beat the kid to pieces...

Bette Davis shows a softer demure and fierceness when required at the flick of a switch. I enjoyed this film!
½ December 17, 2012
Again, there are a lot of themes we've seen before... from movies that came later. That says a lot! The dynamic relationships are what's most intriguing here. Like most good stories this one is about friendship, love, idealism, loyalty, and redemption.
March 24, 2012
One day I'm going to meet a guy that can go the whole distance.

Nick Donati is a crooked fight promoter that wants revenge for a championship fight he was recently upstaged and lost a significant bet money on. He finds a young naive kid with a wicked right hand that has the potential to be a star; however, the kid's career can go many directions once he experiences some success. Can Donati groom the kid to become the eventual champion or will the kid fail before he ever reaches his potential?

"With a mother as nice as yours I can't understand how you turned out the way you have."

Michael Curtiz, director of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Hangman, We're No Angels (1955), White Christmas, Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and The Sea Hawk, delivers Kid Galahad. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. The acting is outstanding and the cast includes Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Edward Robinson, and Jane Bryan.

"You have dynamite in that right hand of yours."

I found this movie while flicking through Bogart pictures and was surprised at his role in this movie. He was a supporting character but played it very well. I really enjoyed watching the depiction of each character as they each seemed to have their demons to conquer. I strongly recommend seeing this picture. This is not Bogart's best film but this picture was fun to watch unfold.

"It's your own foul temper and dirty mind."

Grade: B
½ August 25, 2011
Bette Davis, Edward G. Robinson and Humphrey Bogart. What more can you ask for.
January 25, 2010
Kid Galahad is an amazing film. Edward G. Robinson is excellent in his role. Bette Davis is up to her smart-as-a-whip self which makes it even more entertaining. Humphrey Bogart puts on a role of a scheming man that makes him look better than he already is. Near the end, the film started to derail a bit and got a bit pointless, but it was in good taste. It was well-directed with Michael Curtiz at the helm. I couldn't imagine anyone else directing this. This was an enjoyable movie.
½ November 28, 2009
A great and realistic Boxing Drama with the one and only Edward G. Robinson as Box Manager and Humphrey Bogart as his Antagonist
May 31, 2009
With Michael Curtiz at the helm, and with stars Bette Davis, Edward G. Robinson and Humphrey Bogart, it can't help but be a terrific film, and that it is. Good story, great pace. Exciting and very well done. A wonderful classic.