Singles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Singles Reviews

½ October 20, 2013
Good movie.
September 6, 2010
I caught this on TV one day a long time ago, I thought it was pretty boring. I only watched it for the cameo from Tim Burton, which was cool, but the rest of the movie wasn't anything special. Overall, it's okay.
½ July 2, 2006
The story of a circle of friends in Seattle during the grunge era of the early 90s and their adventures with dating, work and friendship. Sure, the look is somewhat dated and one has to wonder how people ever thought such clothes looked good on them. The soundtrack, on the other hand, is still one of the finest ever, with timeless bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in chains and Soundgarden appearing in guest roles in this film that grasps the feeling of that time so perfectly while saying a lot of timeless truths about the relationships between men and women. The acting is great, the dialoges funny and true, the characters real and likable. Cameron Crowe soon after directed in a higher league but already showed his talent here. A movie like a comfortable old blanket you still love after all these years.
October 20, 2009
Love this movie, so funny and could really relate to it when I first saw it. Not sure if a younger person watching it now would like it as much. Maybe one for GenX.
Beefy
May 13, 2007
Worth it for a great soundtrack and a terrific performance by Campbell Scott.
garyX
½ March 10, 2007
Yet another example of Cameron Crowe's penchant for putting the soundtrack above any depth or intelligent storytelling. Alright, but forgettable (much like all his others...)
December 31, 2006
Every once in a while a movie soundtrack comes along that's considerably better than its movie. This is one of those movies.
½ August 27, 2015
Rather than say 'Aloha' to Cameron Crowe's prodigious talents ebbing and flowing in dodgy waters, check out a 1992 gem by this writer-director that winningly captures grunge and knowingly looks grungy while doing it. Someway somehow, Crowe - the Rolling Stone reporter who brilliantly documents a fan's-eye-view of '70s rock 'n' roll right from the trenches of his own young adult experience with Almost Famous - shows up right as grunge is being conceived and provides a series of bitingly truthful love stories that just happen to perfectly document an important time in music history. You know how Forrest Gump pops up at just the right times throughout U.S. history to make his mark and provide us with a wink and nod lesson? Well, Cameron Crowe does the same for rock history without playing Zelig ... at least he did before becoming too sentimental with projects like Elizabethtown, We Bought a Zoo and the aforementioned Aloha. With Singles, he provides a hip, vervy portrait of the influential '90s Seattle scene that's far from a love letter - it's a full-on time capsule. It's not like Titanic where a flimsy love story got framed around a disaster. These relationships happen organically and Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains just happen to be in the background.

In this PG-13-rated dramedy, a group of twenty-something friends (Fonda, Scott, Kyra Sedgwick, Matt Dillon), most of whom live in the same apartment complex, search for love and success in grunge-era Seattle.

Though the story doesn't boast as much character as Crowe's '80s youth-defining work in Say Anything and the dialogue doesn't ring as resonantly as with his much more polished '90s rom-com masterwork Jerry Maguire, Singles' acting and setting provide a whipsmart and smart-ass look at a semi-modern romance. Plus, you get to see a Point of No Return-era Bridget Fonda, Dead Again-era Campbell Scott, Born on the Fourth of July-era Kyra Sedgwick, and Drugstore Cowboy-era Matt Dillon giving it their youthful all before taking on some more career-defining adult roles. Best of all, there's that soundtrack. Pearl Jam's "State of Love and Trust" - released exclusively for the motion picture - ranks among the band's best works.

Bottom line: Grunge Match
August 26, 2010
My ultimate movie.
July 13, 2008
I was expecting this to be something I loved... it isn't. The whole film feels undernurtured, uninspired and dragged out. There are no interesting characters to latch onto and the comedy falls flat more often than not.
November 8, 2008
Finally saw this movie after years of loving the soundtrack. It's a cute story of twenty to thirty somethings dating or avoiding dating. Some of it's cliche, some of it is just funny. Looking at the clothes and props is EXCELLENT, since it's the perfect example of that period where the eighties was morphing in to the grunge scene.
½ June 7, 2008
Welcome to Seattle 1991 where everyone wanted to be the next Kurt Cobain. Sadly the setting is completely irrelevant to the film and seems to be there merely to try and capture a zeitgeist. And so here we have another Cameron Crowe plotless character piece about a bunch of people without character who fall in love, fall out of love, say how great it is to be single and say how great it is to be in love. The films only saving grace is a 45 second cameo from the amazing Tim Burton who for 45 seconds makes this film great even though he only says one word. Otherwise, it's nearly as bad as Vanilla Sky
poohtiger
December 21, 2006
A pretty good romantic comedy set in Seattle with lots of good actors. You've got Bridget Fonda (who pretty much owns the movie every time she appears), Matt Dillion, Kyra Sedwick, Campbell Scott, Bill Pullman, Eric Stoltz and Jeremy Piven. A great rocking soundtrack plus hilarious situations involving the dating scene in the 90's equals an enjoyable movie. Directed by Cameron Crowe so you know it's going to be good.

Cliff: "Look, Janet you know I see other people still. You do know that don't you?"
Janet: "You don't fool me."
Cliff: "Janet, I could not be fooling you less".
June 26, 2008
This had matt dillon in another cool role (see my review on rumble fish) another melrose place type story with a cool cast living under neath the same roof.
½ March 28, 2008
Everyone loved this film, so it can't be that bad? I suspect a conspiracy.
iLeo
½ February 3, 2007
This is one of my all-time favorite movies! Love the soundtrack especially. Great storyline, and character relationships are a plus.

Fantastic!
½ July 15, 2013
I'm not much of a romantic-comedy kind of guy but Cameron Crowe kept my attention and I ended up loving this film. It really shows us how love in the 90's was, trying to stay cool as an individual yet be intimate when your with someone. A constant battle for everyone in the film. All in all it's a good movie and should be looked at more often.
½ December 24, 2013
The Big Chill had the same effect. They both reach out to the 20/30 something person living in that exact time period and talk about the same old dating hang ups that affect everyone. Which means the film becomes dated real fast and contains the same romantic clichés that have been around forever.
October 6, 2013
Singles may aspire to be a Big Chill from Seattle, but it is really a fizzled St. Elmo's Fire with rowdier music. and i liked it
½ July 9, 2013
Mostly, It Could Be Set Anywhere

It's funny, really. You get movies every once in a while that people think are a perfect demonstration of what a city is like. I mean, leave aside the whole "Seattle sound" aspect of this film. (Though it's worth noting that Eddie Vedder is actually from San Diego, originally.) There's the coffee and the quirky, and that's pretty much what people think of when they think of Seattle, though it doesn't rain anywhere near often enough. In fact, I'm not sure it rains at all in this movie, and that's flatly impossible for Seattle no matter what season the film was set in. I thought Cameron Crowe knew the city well enough to know that. But anyway, though the term is never used, one of the characters is even a barista. Because single young adults in Seattle. My sister actually moved to Washington about a month before this movie came out, and I think everyone she knew thought this movie showed what her life would be.

Most of our film's characters live in one of those quirky apartment buildings. Eighteen apartments, all one-bedroom. There's Steve Dunne (Campbell Scott), a traffic engineer or some such, trying to convince the Mayor of Seattle that what the city needs is a train to replace all those cars. His best friend, Janet Livermore (Bridget Fonda), is the barista, and she is in a relationship with musician/jack-of-all-trades Cliff Poncier (Matt Dillon), whose band is just about to break out. Any minute now. Though Cliff treats Janet like dirt. Steve gets into a relationship with Linda Powell (Kyra Sedgwick), whom he meets at a bar where Alice in Chains is playing. Naturally. There are a few other minor characters, including Debbie (Sheila Kelly) and her adventures in video dating (her cameraman is Tim Burton!), but it's really the two couples who are the heart of the film. Despite the fact that the title implies that these people are single.

Actually, it's kind of a weird middle ground that our society hasn't entirely picked up on. Legally, I'm single. I've been in a relationship for ten years and am going to have a baby literally like any minute now, but it doesn't count. We're going to have to fill out special paperwork at the hospital and everything. Okay, both couples break up through the third act of the film, but Janet and Cliff are together at the beginning--poor Janet--and the first act is about how Steve and Linda get together. Is it nitpicking of me to point it out? A bit. It's certainly true that we aren't supposed to be thinking about these characters as anything but single--even, I think, when they're together. After all, they could break up at any minute! But of course, we know that's true of married couples, too. It's just that it's more complicated legally. I consider my relationship more steady than several marriages I know, but I still get to check the box marked "single" on all those forms.

And seriously, Janet could do better. I know we're supposed to think that Cliff is improving, but who's to say that he won't just look at her in six months and think, "Yeah, bored now"? Yes, as I said, that's always a possibility, but with the way he's treated her until she seems to actually have figured out how to live without him, it seems more likely than not. That's probably the thing that bothers me most about this movie, even more than the fact that I frankly don't like Kyra Sedgwick all that much. It's that we're supposed to applaud that Cliff is really making an effort. However, from what we've seen of Cliff, I don't think we've seen that the effort will stick, and that bothers me. I think we're supposed to think he's better than nothing, better than letting Janet be alone, and I don't think that's true. Even if there were no other single men in all of Seattle--and hells, I think Eddie Vedder was single at the time!--better for Janet to be single than to let Cliff do the same thing to her again.

Or she could have moved to Olympia, which is a more interesting city anyway. Because the thing is, Seattle is kind of the way it appears in this film. It's relatively edgy, and there was at the time a lot of good music coming out of the city. However, it's also fairly . . . well, it's a real city. The mayor in the movie (Seattle resident Tom Skerritt) isn't interested in the train, because this is an idea that gets proposed all the time and never works. (I do think we need better commuting options between here, Tacoma, Seattle, and points north, but I'm not sure the "supertrain" is it.) There are people who are baristas and so forth, but there are also plenty of people with office jobs. (Though limited state jobs; state law holds that all departments are headquartered down here.) The movie is a lot more conventional than I think it thinks it is, a lot more conventional than I thought it was when I saw it twenty years ago. But isn't that always the way?