Consenting Adults - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Consenting Adults Reviews

May 6, 2007
Insurance scam movie where a con man frames his neighbour for the death of his wife.
middleeasternfilms
May 9, 2008
This movie was just not quite as enjoyable as I'd expected it to be. It's got an interesting plot about swingers and a twist where Spacey's wife ends up dead after Kline sleeps with her. A great performance from Spacey, but...check this out...it seems like Kline actually phoned in his performance here. Yes, Kline didn't seem too interested in this and I don't blame him. Not as good as it could have been. Thanks to my mother, as well, for ruining this movie for me before I even watched it.
½ May 13, 2012
A sleek, sexy and solid thriller with good acting. Enough edge to darkness to it to make it engaging and enough eroticism to keep it from devolving into a chick flick.
August 24, 2008
A some-what smart idea, which requires an incredibly dull first half of the film to set up. The second half was a study in impossibilities, and a test to see how vapid Kevin Kline can be. With such an all-star cast I definitely expected better, although its obscurity was a clue that it wasn't really going to turn into much. Kevin Spacey is the only one here that really stands out; Kline and Mastrantonio just fade into the background. Forest Whitaker was solid, but just wasn't important enough to the film to be much help. All-in-all, a pretty half-assed thriller.
June 30, 2008
About four years ago I really got into Kevin Spacey and started renting/watching all the movies he was in. The only one I didn't get around to seeing was 'Consenting Adults' which I caught the other night on HBO. I remember I saw it at the videostore and had no burning desire to watch it. I guess I should have trusted my instincts. While not bad, Consenting Adults is a surprsiningly generic thriller with a misleading title. While the performances are all soild (Kevin Kline is great, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is decent and Kevin Spacey steals the movie of course) the movie never really takes off the way it should and the ending is straight-up ridiculous and doesn't match the tone of the rest of the movie. It's entertaining I guess, but if you are looking for a really good, original film, look elsewhere. Grade: C+
½ August 8, 2007
A sleek, sexy and solid thriller with fantastic acting. Enough edge to darkness to it to make it engaging and enough eroticism to keep it from devolving into a chick flick.
April 7, 2015
A complicated web of blaaaaaah.
August 1, 2014
kind of shocked that this has such a low rating. Great cast. jobobsezcheckitout...
July 17, 2014
Great flick. Loved it.
MT
May 22, 2014
Great cast and promising start, but ultimately this movie is oddly tedious and almost laughably implausible.
½ September 6, 2013
Kevin Spacey se roba el show en este thriller a lo DePalma ( en el guion por lo menos), si bien resulta irregular por lo menos tiene sus momentos.Aceptable
April 2, 2013
Plot suffers from lack of detail. Sequence of events badly needed to be linked better. Overall a waste of a good story despite good acting.
½ February 17, 2010
Despite a captivating beginning and a strong performance from Kevin Spacey, Consenting Adults is mostly rubbish. It feels like a long episode of Law & Order. The film stops being interesting about halfway through, at which time begins the highly predictable, anticlimactic ending. The film could have been very interesting had the plot went more in the direction of clandestine wife swapping, but instead, the film strips off its intriguing clothes and reveals its naked, Escapist self.
½ October 31, 2004
Great cast and director in a not so great movie. Far fetched plot full of gaping holes. Predictable.