Sniper Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 25, 2014
Decent action film, Sniper is one of those low budget action films that never really stood out among the genre, but it does manage to be entertaining from start to finish, despite its so-so acting, and paper then story. The story written here is nothing too complex, and for fans of forgotten action films, Sniper is a perfect film to watch. I quite liked it, but I also felt that it had the potential of being so much as well. For what it is, it's an entertaining film and it's engaging from start to finish. Tom Berenger and Billy Zane are quite good here, but both actors have made better films. Sniper has tense moments that make the film worth seeing, and even if it never becomes anything really good, I thought that the film was quite decent for what it tried to accomplish. The story like I said is pretty basic, and for a film like this, that's all you need. Although it's a bit clichéd, what do you expect from a low budget affair like this? This is the type of film that you watch only once, and it doesn't necessitate multiple viewings. If you're a genre fan and enjoy low budget action flicks, then you're sure to enjoy Sniper. The film works well enough for its run time, but it does show its age. If you're expecting something truly great, you'll sadly be disappointed, as there's never anything truly engrossing. Sure, it's a fun film, but like I said, it's one that isn't worth revisiting again and again. The film's somewhat lacking script is the film's major mistake, and in turn, the film never becomes a truly awesome action film.
ScoopOnline
June 8, 2007
There is a tiny bit in Sniper one which has 2 versions. The Trailer on flixster shows a different version when the DC guys talk to Billy Zane s Character about his mission in Pananma. Check out 00:21 the flixster Trailer. The DVD version is totally different. I dont know if this was the Theater version?
Chiefilms
½ March 1, 2008
I love Tom Berenger, probably served as inspiration for the sniper scenes in Saving Private Ryan or Shooter, no joke.
cosmo313
January 9, 2008
A macho action film that is actually pretty decent. It is entertaining, and not a total waste of time.
garyX
January 1, 2007
Journeyman military thriller seriously lacking in star presence. Berenger attempts to reprise his role from Platoon, but the script has little depth.
January 1, 2009
Nowhere near the acting job that he did in Platoon, however a cool flick none the less
DrLappos
June 27, 2007
hoo yaaaa...Good film
December 18, 2010
A solid war film thats unique for its focus on snipers. There really isnt any other good movies that focus so much on the aspect of sniping. Not to mention the fact that tom berenger plays his role perfectly. Certain aspects of the movie could have been better and the plot could have been stronger as well. Yet all in all its a solid film that will entertain.
½ July 16, 2009
This was on TV late at night, and it was really a different action movie for its time. I admit, I saw this movie in theaters, I had a war veteran dad that loved war and action movies and would take me to them despite any sort of ratings disclaimers and friends that were just as willing as I was to take advantage of the rise of mulitplexes and diassfected teens that were working there to sneak into movies we weren?t supposed to see. I don?t remember who I saw this with, but I do remember sitting in a theater wondering why the guy in camoflauge seemed upset. This isn?t a typical ?soldier? movie. It?s meditative. I?ve seen Marky Mark?s Shooter. Bad movie. Horrible. But I think action movie grunts love it. This movie isn?t high caliber in production, scripting, everything ? but it is true to the story and keeps it interesting. A hidden gem for anyone with interest in these types of movies. Now, I?ve heard there are about 3 sequels that are all ?equally? horrible, but I don?t think part 1 was bad but believe 2-4 are definitely bad. Why isn?t Berenger in more movies? He's not bad.
October 21, 2008
Billy Zane and JT Walsh....excellent reasons to watch this one. If it weren't for those two, I wouldn't have watched it.
½ June 26, 2008
no billy zanes, best. and I cought this one after I saw "Sliver" so I couldn't enjoy Tom like I wanted to!!
June 12, 2008
I probably shouldn't, but I really like this movie. It's a good reliable little action flick, and Tom Berenger is the coolest sniper ever.
March 28, 2008
I love Billy Zane and it was probably Tom Berenger's best movie... I have to say the last 30 mins got a bit disjointed.
January 9, 2008
What guy wouldn't love a movie about a guy who is a bad ass and carries another throuh a jungle only to make him somewhat worth a crap oh yeah and they have targets.
September 24, 2007
This movie is tight, and both actors do a good job, despite a few minute technical errors concerning guns.
½ May 25, 2007
In real life, the Olympics marksman would have crapped his pants if he was dropped in the middle of the jungle. Laughably implausible.
January 20, 2007
What is so special about the movie that was based on the book "Marine Sniper" that was about the experiences of Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam? When I walked outta this movie, it was then I decieded to save all my movie tickets. I go the the movies weekly. How many tickets is that>
½ January 9, 2007
love war movies, even if Billy Zane was a little too cocky & did many many things wrong in this movie...
½ November 19, 2006
tom beringer did some really good work for this... too bad he was saved by billy zane's character...
½ September 3, 2006
I love this first sniper movie because it was just totally awesome. I going recommened this to everyone. Two Thumps Up!