Gypsy Reviews

June 9, 2007
Bette Midler is my favorite Rose out of the two I've seen. She's disturbingly intrusive because that's who she is as a person and coincidentally that's who Rose is too. When she sings Rose's Turn it's actually kind of revelatory because she's so...vulnerable for a second. I know this is just a TV movie but I really, really enjoy it. The singing is a thousand times better. But in general this script and music and lyrics are just really, really good no matter who's in it. Even though the ending is too 1950s Hollywood...yick. Give me manic breakdown anyday.
½ March 5, 2007
Not as good as the original, but I did really like Gibb in her role.
½ August 10, 2011
I'm always a little surprised by how lackluster a show Gypsy somehow ends up being. It's long and meandering and you really need someone with incredible charisma to carry the Mama Rose role. Bette Midler is passable, but nothing special. (Though neither was Rosalind Russell in the original.) She doesn't particularly shine in any of the musical numbers, and neither do any of her co-stars. Cynthia Gibb is probably the best of the cast, playing an awkward girl who suddenly discovers she has talent she never knew about. I enjoyed bits of the movie but not enough to make it worth recommending.
½ October 25, 2006
I still like the older one better, but I LOVE Peter Riegert. He was PERFECT in his roll. man... he should be in more movies.
½ May 28, 2007
One of the first movies that I watched more than once. I was always discovering new things in the acting.
March 3, 2007
Bette Midler isn't nearly as good in the Role of Rose as Rosalind Russle was. I will say, however that she is a much better singer.
November 27, 2011
Rotten Tomatoes, you got this dead wrong. Gypsy is a magnificent piece of art that I will remember as, "The film with Bette Midler as the crazy mother!" This fantastic film features Midler as Mama Rose whose star daughter (An amazing performance by Jennifer Rae Beck in three scenes) quits show business and her other daughter (A mesmerizing Cynthia Gibb) becomes a high paid stripper. Midler's magnificent performance earned her a golden globe. A fun musical for the family with a ton of songs that will give you chills and stay in your head for days. FANTASTIC!