63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians (And Then There Were None) Reviews

Apeneck F

May 7, 2012
Cheeky mid-60's take on a popular, if weathered, murder plot: 10 strangers meet in an isolated spot (here a mountain chalet) and one by one is murdered. Who can the killer be? A stranger? One of the 10? Kitschy fun if anything and filmed in glorious black and white.
Lafe F

January 25, 2008
Stylish but flawed 1960's adaptation of this Agatha Christie classic mystery, but it's adequate. The setting has been changed from an island to a snowy mountain lodge. The sex and violence are ramped up a few notches. The actors are a bit goofy and overacted in their roles. Fabian is a strange choice, but he was popular in 1965. The addition of silly servants to the plot is a bit unsuitable. Decent enough. I wish a colorized version was available.
flixsterman
flixsterman

February 3, 2009
I enjoyed this remake ALMOST as much as the earlier film, And Then There Were None, that inspired it. In fact, the two together would make a terrific double feature, contrasting the distinctly different eras of 1940s and 1960s cinema.
jjnxn
jjnxn

December 12, 2008
Okay filming of venerable old story, some of the performances are good, Hyde-White especially some very wooden.
Ken S

May 9, 2008
Solid re-telling of Agatha's Christie's "An Then There Were None."

Surprisingly stylish for 1965 and shot in beautiful black & white. Performances are slightly campy, but overall more than adequate for the story at hand.
Henrik S

May 22, 2009
I am big of fan of straight & classic mystery films. Give me an old house, some rocky chairs, snow (or thunderstorme), a dubious cast of mediocre to no talent and some murders and I am as a happy as poirot with a menthe tea ! This one is no exception. Yes, some moments are campy and some of the 'actors' are so awful, it made me laugh out loud, but oh the suspense and oh the evil eyes of the villain, I just adore it. Of course, I am a genre enthusiast, many out there might not share my opinion on this hidden gem. The story is pretty solid, it is a Christie after all and I found all the film versions to be good ones, hard to mess this one up. George Pollock is what I call a straight hand when it comes to directing, no flash, no dazzle, no strokes of genius but getting the job done, keep the picture in the frame and off you go. The cast is good and all the people involved play to their strength, Hugh O Brian is a handsome dervish, Fabian a moron and Wilfrid Hyde-White is a scheming and flamboyant judge ... all in good order. There are some surprises here, Mario Adorf plays a prominent role ( a great german actor) and I did very much enjoy Dennis Price's performances too. Like I said, Fabian, Lavi and Eaton were awful, but a good laugh. The story is good, albeit a tad unbelievable (not sure if the novel is) but then again, it is a work of ficition, but some of the scenes and deaths in the film border on the impossible and sometimes the film feels more like a ghost story than a murder conspiracy and the big reveal and explaination in the end does a great job of simply ignoring all the logical error and nobody explains some of the things you keep on wondering the whole film about (How did the murderer manage to pull that off? - Well, keep guessing, no one is ever going to tell you). Still, for fans of the genre, this is a must-see. Camp and gorgeous whodunnit !
John Tandlich
May 19, 2013
This second film adaptation of Agatha's Christie's classic murder mystery is loosely based on the novel and on the children's nursery rhyme of the same name. Eight strangers and a husband and wife household domestics are invited to spend a weekend in a remote Swiss mountain chalet by an unknown host. After it is revealed that each of them is responsible for a murder, they are killed off individually in accordance with the nursery rhyme.

Although some of the murders and descriptions of the guests' crimes do not follow the original rhyme, this was obviously done to update the movie for a 1960s audience. The two women guests were made younger and hipper; one was played by Shirley Eaton who later played Jill Masters in Goldfinger.
More curious was the casting of Fabian as a fading, obnoxious entertainer. If the purpose to allow the viewer to cheer his demise, it succeeded.

The major failing is one that I have with many book adaptations: the ending was changed to a more positive one. Not everyone dies in this version which is at odds with the very downbeat ending of her original mystery thriller.
jazza923
April 2, 2008
Good Agatha Christie mystery, one of many filmings of the story and one of the better ones. Interesting cast assortment, reasonably suspensful and an interesting story. I wasn't crazy about the score though.