• PG-13, 1 hr. 42 min.

King of the Hill Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

April 24, 2012
Steven Soderbergh's third feature film seems to have just gone completely under the radar...and that's a shame.

Adapted from A. E. Hotchner's memoirs about growing up in St. Louis during the Great Depression. "Aaron" is a 12 year-old growing up poor (more so than most) in a rundown hotel in a seedy part of St. Louis. He is forced to basically become his own man after his brother is sent to live with relatives, his consumptive mother goes off to a sanitarium, and his father struggles to eke out a living as a salesman, a job that sees him away from home for extended periods of time.

Aaron's struggle isn't as bleak as it might seem, but the lessons he learns about life are nevertheless still pretty important. His journey to manhood is helped along by a colorful cast of people, especially the various other residents and workers of the hotel (including early appearances by Adrien Brody and Lauryn Hill).

We also get Jeroen Krabbe as the dad, Karen Allen as Aaron's teacher, and, playing Aaron, is Jesse Bradford, and he delivers a standout turn.

The film is pretty low-key, and I think that might be both it's strongest point, as it isn't a showy "look at me" type of film, but it may also be the reason it's been all but lost to the masses.

If you can find this, then give it a watch, It's a fine, heartwarming movie, and another example of why Soderbergh is such an amazing and versatile director.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 13, 2013
"When the world turns upside down, the trick is to come out on top."

King of the Hill is another under appreciated and under seen Steven Soderbergh film. It features a great performance from its young lead, Jesse Bradford and obviously the direction is as close to flawless as you can get. The story is really engaging and uses its depression era setting to great effect without ever even really mentioning it.

Aaron is a young schoolboy who lives in a hotel room with his mother, father, and younger brother, Sullivan. It's the Great Depression and his father is out of work. In order to make ends meet, they send Sullivan away to his aunts. Soon after that, Aaron's mother is sent back to the sanitarium because of sickness and soon after that Aaron's father leaves for work in Oklahoma. Now it's just Aaron, by himself trying to survive, while the hotel tries to kick him out and a cop tries to bust him whenever he can.

King of the Hill is a special little movie. It's not one that you'd call exciting or extremely original in ways of story, but it's an exceptionally well made, well paced, and well acted film. The situations we see Aaron in aren't overblown for effect. Actually we never even feel too worried for Aaron because he is such an intelligent and good kid.

This is another perfect example as to why I love Soderbergh so much. He doesn't need gimmicks or anything else for that matter to make you care about Aaron and his situation. I see now why a lot of people(who have seen this) classify it as one of their favorites from Soderbergh. I really did love this movie and I plan on watching it many more times in the future.
arashxak
arashxak

December 11, 2008
Dunno why but it kinda reminded me of Amelie but of course with less sugar which is a good thing
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

May 5, 2010
A fascinating film, set in the 1930s Depression-era setting about life in St-Louis see it through the eyes of a 12 years old, excellently played by (Aaron) Jesse Bradford. With the Depression in full force, Aaron's once wealthy parents have come to the agreement that the only way to save money and be able to continue raising their two sons is to have his young brother shipped off to live with his uncle. The family lives in a hotel run by a bank. Aaron's mother is taken out of the picture when she has to go for a stay at a sanitarium for her tuberculosis and when his father gets a job as a travelling salesman leaving Aaron on his own to fend for himself totally aware of his own solitude. He is forced to live by his wits, helped only by an older friend, Lester, a petty criminal. He goes through the usual adolescent adventures. One day Aaron gets a note saying that his father has three days to pay their rent or they must leave. This is brought most terrifyingly home when Aaron can't afford any food, has no-one to turn to. The scene where Aaron is forced to cut out pictures from a magazine and pretend he is enjoying his "delicious" cut-from-a-magazine food is especially poignant. In the end it is the kid's grit, determination, hope and perseverance that holds this family together.
Stephen E

May 6, 2012
"King of the Hill" is endearing, delicate, and a real heart-warmer. Steven Soderbergh has done almost everything right with this one, and despite a a few weak patches in the script, hardly anything feels contrived. It's fabulous entertainment -- involving, heartfelt, well-acted and visually stunning. Seriously, this one was robbed of a Best Cinematography nomination.
Anthony V

March 4, 2008
Why this film hasn't had more acclaim, I will never know.
August 10, 2011
A good movie about effects of great depression in america.Jesse bradford proves his talent as the young leading actor... But now it's a pitty that he doesn't have a great carrier...
RenegadeReplicant
October 19, 2006
One of those gems that was praised by critics, yet ignored by theater-goers. One of Adrian Brody's first roles on the big screen.
Brett C.
August 1, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

When it comes to coming of age films, they are generally a hit and miss for me as I don't particularly have a particular type of film within the genre; all I look for is an entertaining story for me to invest in. The coming of age genre, over time has developed its own clichés that many films can't seem to shake out of, which is why when I come into a film from the genre, I ensure to lower my expectations and hopefully the film would deliver enough original aspects that it wouldn't end up being a waste of time.

The film's plot is certainly light in its tone but heavy in its themes. Steven Soderbergh, the film's screenwriter and director, has delivered a tale of a young boy who lives in a cruel world and has to do what he can in order to survive. I was on board with his journey right from the start as the film establishes the connection with the character right from the start, using the film's small but abundant complications to threat our protagonist at a deep level. There are a number of scenes in this film that feels heartbreaking to watch, the graduation would be a prime example, and the fact that Soderbergh was able to deliver more than just one, shows me how gifted of a writer he is. The film's final act may come off at first as sentimental and forced, but with everything that the audience and the protagonist has gone through, one can't help but look for something warm to hold onto.

There were elements in this film that reminded me of Wes Anderson's Rushmore, as Aaron, our protagonist, has this need to create a false persona to avoid social hardships and to be standing and recognised on the same level as his wealthy classmates. Unlike Max Fischer in Rushmore, Aaron's rationales for his facade carry a much heavier weight, which made it easier for me to empathise for his decisions and sympathise for his feelings.

The film could have simply been a conventionally told story and dampened by its sentimentality, but Soderbergh handles it with such balance and precision that the film contains only the right amount of both conventionality and sentimentality. I was truly impressed with the director's choice to go slightly pessimistic in both its emotions and atmosphere during the early stages of the third act, as it made our protagonist feel like a human being rather than just hollow plot driver, also this change of tone showed me that Soderbergh is willing to take risks and show suffering in a pragmatic way.

I am going to make an assumption and state that this film was built by a limited budget, which made it difficult to create a richly detailed environment of the Depression era. Soderbergh was able to counter this through focusing its film on the protagonist and limiting his movement from different locations, but the aspect that truly drawn me into the film's world is its warm-palette photography. The photography not only immersed me physically, but it also hit me at an emotional and empathetic level, where I too can feel the heat that is surrounding Aaron, getting closer and hotter as the film progresses.

The performance brought by Jesse Bradford certainly deserves high recognition, as he was able to display both the innocence and vulnerability of a child while also showing that he is strong-willed boy who would go through great lengths for survival. The film's supporting cast was also strong with memorable performances by Adrien Brody, Spalding Gray, Lisa Eichhorn, and Jeroen Krabbe.

King of the Hill is a special coming of age films that isn't afraid to go towards the darker side of the spectrum to deliver realistic conditions of the 1930s, while also retaining that child-like sensibility that allows the film to be universally accessible. So far this is the most impressive feat I have seen from film-retired director, Steven Soderbergh.
Jason G.
July 28, 2014
Extraordinary attention to detail.
Madmartigan
July 26, 2014
Mildly charming coming-of-age period piece. Nothing special, but worth a watch. Possibly the best performance I've seen from Brody.
April 14, 2014
King of the Hill, like Stand By Me before it, exemplifies cinema's equivalent to the Bildungsroman. Soderbergh is now known for his excellent and diverse drama/thrillers which exhibit his unique approach to film-making, however this movie was an early proclamation of his talent and versatility.
March 28, 2014
The Criterion blu-ray edition of this film has just been released, and it is a treat--mostly for including a 2013 interview with the still-living author of the original memoir, A.E. Hotchner. He is the pubescent eighth grader in the film. Soderbergh is also on the disc, going a little hard on himself (as usual), but he is correct in stating that the film looks to good for the bleak period it portrays. (Such a hotel as where this unfortunately family lived would have been much grimier.) This would be a great film to show kids the same age, to give them a better idea the economic hardship which they have a hard time imagining just from their history classes. Few saw it when it came out; now is their chance to discover this gem, which holds up wonderfully after twenty years, despite what its director thinks.
June 11, 2013
Everything was great! The acting (especially the main character), the cinematography, and the costumes and settings were amazing. I just didn't like the ending that much.
July 28, 2013
well done but boring
October 31, 2007
Carefully filled out with small, polished character performances, Soderbergh's film is a lyrical piece of well-crafted passion.
December 9, 2012
Great film. Amazing acting and a great story as well. This has become one of my favorite films to date. A must see.
October 18, 2012
Awesome movie!!!! Even though it's from 1993, it is worth watching!!
September 29, 2012
Soderbergh is a good modern director and this is one of his best work. this cant be looked over
Stephen E