Fearless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fearless Reviews

August 1, 2007
Jeff Bridges shines in this layered and intense character study.
½ April 19, 2007
Great central performance by Bridges. It's a shame this hasn't gotten a proper DVD release. It's a TRAVESTY that's it's only available in pan & scan.
Japes
½ March 5, 2011
Really this movie is at 86%?

I had to watch it in psych class the other day, and I thought it was prettyyy boring. I also wasn't really paying attention either. Movies like this don't interest me.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
July 30, 2010
"Some people are afraid of nothing."

A man's personality is dramatically changed after surviving a major airline crash.

REVIEW
Powerful and inspirational depiction of the human spirit's quest for closure. After surviving a terrible airplane crash, Max Klein (Bridges in arguably the performance of his career) finds himself in a state of near nirvana as he assumes he's untouchable in the realm of death, until he learns of another survivor (Rosie Perez in her Oscar-nominated poignant role), nearly catatonic due to the death of her infant in the aftermath. Ethereal and genuinely moving with some unexpecting moments of humor and unabashed honesty. Features one of the more realistic airplane crashes in film history and a hypnotic score. Excellent direction by Peter Weir and screenplay adaptation by Rafael Yglesias based on his novel. Memorable scene: Car test with U2 on the soundtrack. Hypnotic.
puffchunk
½ November 30, 2007
Didn't hold my attention too well, but good enough. Rosie Perez has got to be the absolute most annoying person in the world, so that counts against the movie big time. But, I did really like the end.
June 13, 2006
A man survives a plane crash and has problems coping with every day life and his family afterwards, thinking he is indestructible. Outstanding acting performances, a moving and touching yet unsentimental plot; plus two of the most staggering scenes ever: the way Bridges is trying to convince fellow survivor Perez that it wasn't her fault that her baby got killed and the amazing last minutes with the flashback to the most disturbing plane crash scene ever. A shame so few people know of this masterpiece.
½ November 21, 2007
Just as God seems to be playing with Jeff Bridges, Fearless plays with its viewers in just about every conceivable way. You can learn to love characters who you hated just five minutes before. You can take their completely irrational decisions, turn them over in your head and realize that maybe they were thinking about it more than you were aware. You can see people do stupid things that completely touch you. Just as Jeff Bridges's life gets flipped around, so too will your perceptions.

Fearless is a really great movie because of that; because it can jerk you around and not make you feel at all cheated. Compared to The Game, which I watched yesterday and which left me feeling completely robbed, this movie is so rational and realistic in its madness; it is totally believable. It's not a question of whether the writing, the acting or the cinematography contribute to this...because it's simply all three. Fearless is almost perfectly harmonized. Though it is fatally underappreciated and unheard of, it doesn't make it any less great. This is a look at human emotion on a completely different, unique level. Peter Weir outdid himself with this one.
August 11, 2007
Jeff Bridges survives an ugly plane crash at the beginning of this movie, which leads him becoming fearless. A few things are learned along the way, but I couldn't get into it much.
garyX
March 27, 2007
Another of Jeff Bridges' interesting career choices as a plane crash survivor suffering psychological after effects of his experience helps grieving mother Rosie Perez deal with her loss in an extremely unconventional way. It obviously suffered from studio interference (they thought manic depression would be far more fun without the depression....) but has a great cast, and is sensitively directed by Peter Weir.
½ October 17, 2012
If there is a reason this film is so tragically overlooked, its probably due to the fact that its narrative continually defies genre expectations. The only sequence I can think of that may be standard to this type of drama is the "toolbox" scene . . . and even that doesn't turn out the way you'd expect. Its emotionally rewarding in a way that took me by surprise and this is probably one of Jeff Bridges' greatest performances (which is saying something).
DrLappos
July 18, 2007
Very odd but written well.
January 14, 2015
I liked it. it's quirky, feel good drama. I felt myself drawn to like and dislike the PTSD protagonist so thoroughly throughout the film. this is an achievement. of course Jeff Bridges is great. there are also nice nuggets in the script about life's meaning, faith, morality, fidelity, etc. that aren't preachy but open ended. overall it's a bit cheesy but in that 90s drama kind of way that I was raised on.
½ May 22, 2015
This is a fantastic character study which expertly details someone's transformation after they survive a horrific plane crash.

After a man survives a plane crash, he is hailed as a hero because he lead several other survivors to safety. This has a negative effect on his personality though and he then meets another survivor who lost her baby in the disaster.

The movie has great character development as we get to know more about Max and Carla. The movie makes us care for them and we get to experience their change throughout the film. This movie has the tendency to catch you off guard and it can surprise you're least expecting it.

Probably the most memorable scene is the plane crash scene. It is frighteningly realistic. It shows the force of the wind and Earth ripping apart the aircraft. It is a horrifying scene and a horrifying memory which changed the characters life forever. It is a scene that will stick with you long after viewing it.

This movie isn't perfect though. There are a few moments where the movie can be slow and a bit too long but other that, it's an underrated gem which will stick with you for a long time.
March 15, 2015
Jeff bridges. ::drops Mic:: oh, also Isabella Rossellini, Rosie Perez, John Turturro, Tom Hulce, benicio del Toro... Damn
January 6, 2015
A top fav film of mine about plane crash survivors.
Brilliant, one-of-a-kind script goes where I've never seen one go before or since. It plums the depth of survivor's guilt with compassion, authenticity, clarity and an understanding that's unmatched.
Highly emotional but incredibly rewarding.
Bridges is a marvel, supported by a perfect cast, but Rosie Perez is the heart of the film as a young mother who is in the throws of grief over losing her child.
Her scene of walking through a mall feeling invisible - that was revelatory to me.
All this, and the ever elegant Isabella Rossellini adds Grace and earnestness as the supportive yet neglected wife, and the surprisingly well timed comedy relief by Tom Hulse keeps this from getting maudlin or dour.
If you can handle the intricacies of the subject matter, this is a movie the doctor might order for those needing to deal w a dark place, survivor's guilt, rage, PTSD, or for me, numbness - this is your movie.
The traumatic ending brings a light to that darkness, that confusion, that numb place.
A stunner, not to be missed.

5 out of 5
April 16, 2011
Powerful. One of Jeff Bridges' best performances and Rosie Perez was phenomenal. Peter Weir has made some great movies but this is by far his best. Great screenplay and great pacing. The movie is 2 hours long but they went by super fast.
½ September 1, 2014
I remembered this film as being excellent. I was right, it really is excellent. It also has a plane crash that may still be the greatest on film. Bridges gives one of his best performances, and the rest of the cast delivers as well. I personally find Rosie Perez to be profoundly annoying, and I do not miss her absence from movies. I definitely miss Peter Weir though. He directed some truly great films in the 80s and 90s, and then went largely silent.
Cat
½ February 9, 2014
( warning: spoilers ahead )

Starring Jeff Bridges as Max Klein and Rosie Perez as Carla Rodrigo, Fearless lives up to its name: In the film, Max Klein was previously afraid to fly. Intercity Flight 202, which Max and Carla (and her 2-year-old son) were passengers on, fell from the sky due to a hydraulic malfunction. A revelation comes to Max as the plane descends:

"This is it. This is the moment of your death," he thinks to himself. "I am not afraid. I have no fear."

This sentiment is analogous to the theme throughout the movie, in which Max eventually comes face to face with a depressed and remote Carla, one of the other survivors, whom during the movie, lost her baby when a well-intentioned but misguided flight attendant told her not to buckle her baby in but to hold onto him. The plot dances deftly around her plight of not being able to save "Bubble," the nickname she had given her son. Max is determined to not let Carla sink into the pit of despair she's lost in after losing her child, and in more than one way, helps her deal with her loss.

When he finally meets Carla, he knows he will be dealing with "survivor guilt," intuitively knows how delicate her state of mind is, and mentions to her family, "I think it's better if I see her alone. You know, one crash freak to another."

Carla is traumatized by the crash, while on the other hand, Max has been set free by it.

One of my favorite scenes is that in which Max stands on the narrow ledge of a high-rise building overlooking the bustling city below and says, "I can't live as a coward."
It truly makes one wonder: what could we really do if we chose to live fearlessly?

Flashing back to the beginning of the story, Max was offered a train home after the crash. Instead, he mentions he'd rather fly, and a flight is booked for his return. He reunites with his wife, only to come to the realization that she cannot understand what he's been through, and this is where his relationship with his wife unravels, and his relationship with Carla truly begins: she's been through it, she knows what it's like, and Max takes on "saving" her as his personal mission.

One of the first things he does following the plane crash is orders strawberry pancakes, and a bowl of strawberries - which apparently, he's deathly allergic to. He eats them with gusto, and not a reaction is seen. He is hounded by an attorney and a hoard of journalists, which he runs from... right into the busy traffic, fearless and unscathed. He exudes joy as he yells: "you can't do it, you want to kill me, but you can't!"

Max takes a reluctant Carla on a ride, and while driving, says to her, "We're safe, because we died already." She doesn't fully understand, but the audience must. The two crash survivors have already faced death, and now they can be fully alive. This is the moral of the story.

This theme continues when Max points out passersby to Carla, saying, "Look, look at them. They don't know what it's like to die in their heads. We do, we passed through death."

But as Max becomes closer to Carla, who views him as her savior, and as he becomes more and more distant from his wife, he finally tells his wife the truth, as he has no more tolerance for lies after having survived death. He admits feeling an "overwhelming love" for Carla, but his wife mistakes this for infidelity.

Dr. Perlman then aptly sums it up for Mrs. Klein: "It's not love. He wants to save her."

During the course of the film, the characters change and evolve, and one of the best aspects of the movie is watching how the story unfolds and the survivors of Flight 202 shift their focus to live, not merely survive, but to push the boundaries and live with enthusiasm, rather than be confined or paralyzed by the fear that pervaded their lives before, during, and after the crash.

A must-see, brimming with meaning, and featuring outstanding performances, especially by Jeff Bridges and Rosie Perez.
September 27, 2007
Weir doesn't shy away from dealing with the kinds of issues seldom portrayed in mainstream movies: Fear of death and fear of life.
½ June 19, 2013
An emotionally stunning movie featuring an incredible, natural performance by Jeff Bridges and wonderous direction from the legendary Peter Weir.