Alice in Wonderland Reviews

jjnxn
August 6, 2007
Shrill, flat filming of a classic tale. Many stars are wasted here, the voice Miranda Richardson affects for the Red Queen may be intended to be funny but is incredibly grating instead.
June 6, 2007
Beautiful High-budget CGI realization of Wonderland! Nice fantasy creatures and characters; some computerized and some Henson-created. The assorted settings are magnificent to behold. The All-Star cast is impressive. The pacing is somewhat bogged down by insignificant long scenes (eg. the Griffon and Mock Turtle, the Library and the Greenhouse Gardeners). I suggest fast-forwarding through those scenes to improve flow. Martin Short is good as the Mad Hatter. Whoopi Goldberg makes a good Cheshire Cat. The story has a nice theme of Alice's Wonderland encounters helping her gain confidence to perform a a song in at her parents' tea party.
½ March 24, 2007
I feel the all star cast in this film was a little overkill. Granted, Louis Carrol?s ?Alice in Wonderland? is a classic and deserves for the film to tell it well and really capture the adventure and imagination and all this was certainly the case, unfortunately, this is one film that I feel only benefited a younger audience as such, the famous actors could be quite lost on them.
½ March 20, 2007
Damned better than the Disneyfied version. It seems so much more like Wonderland, and it accurately follows the scenes from only Wonderland (no Looking Glass crossover here, thank you very much.) Sure, it is a cameo-appearance parade, but at least they capture the spirit of Alice that had never been truly captured before.

Of course, it would have been nice it the meta-plot wasn't so contrived and stupid... but since it's one of the only Alice interpretations out there that has some respect for the material, it's hard to gripe.
weelee18
December 30, 2007
alice in wonderland is a fav of mines growing up. The music and animation is great. The characters are very wacky. I would highly recommend this to any Disney lovers.
August 9, 2007
I love this NBC version of both Alice stories in one movie.
½ May 26, 2011
It's got good visuals and (mostly) good acting. It was definitely on the right track for a while, but then it added an extra half hour toward the end, just to throw in elements from "Through the Looking Glass" for absolutely no reason. It just made the movie drag. And Miranda Richardson is annoying as heck.
June 29, 2009
Hysterical movie!!! Miranda Richardson is amazing as The Queen of Hearts!! 'Off with your head!!!!!'
½ April 24, 2007
great live action Alice in Wonderland adaption. Has several really random actors in it including Whoopi Goldberg as the checker cat, Gene Wilder as a dancing turtle, and Christopher Lloyd as a white knight
½ June 18, 2008
Ah yes, the NBC mini. I liked all of them. I remember watching this and thinking,"Corina got older..." Then she was in Napolean Dynamite. The End.
May 11, 2008
Is it possible for a story about talking caterpillars, a giant bunny and a girl who can grow to giant proportions to be too bizarre for its own good? It's not the surrealist edge of Lewis Carroll's original story that's the problem here so much as the overstuffed nature of this particular adaptation, which is crammed with flashy special effects and unneccessary celebrity cameos (some of which, like Whoopi Goldberg's Cheshire Cat, are nightmare-inducingly creepy). The production design is lavish and expensive-looking without really providing any lasting impact, since Alice's adventures just sort of meander randomly along to no particular purpose... it's as though the producers weren't interested in Carroll's story except as an excuse to mount a star-studded spectacle.
½ December 3, 2007
This is a rather good adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. It keeps a lot closer to the true story than most.
½ December 16, 2006
Son loved this movie.. and now that i see Robbie Coltrane is in it, think i need to go watch it.lol.
October 12, 2007
I so have this movie and I liked it when I was younger but now its a little corny. Still I am going to give it a score.
½ June 28, 2007
they didn't really realize their full potential with this one, did they? i loved martin short. he's been practicing.
July 8, 2007
A expertly made film to the truly strange world of Alice. The casting is spot on and closeness to the story is wonderful.
½ June 25, 2007
This movie was pretty good. I used to watch it all the time. Its pretty boring at times, especially near the end when Alice is in the maze. I like the Disney version better but this version is entertaining.
June 22, 2007
Not my favorite retelling of the story, but a pretty accurate one. Certainly worth your time if you were a fan of the book.
½ June 18, 2007
I think I watched this all fucked up on something.... And my friend punched her sister in the face. Good times!