Alice in Wonderland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alice in Wonderland Reviews

jjnxn
August 6, 2007
Shrill, flat filming of a classic tale. Many stars are wasted here, the voice Miranda Richardson affects for the Red Queen may be intended to be funny but is incredibly grating instead.
June 6, 2007
Beautiful High-budget CGI realization of Wonderland! Nice fantasy creatures and characters; some computerized and some Henson-created. The assorted settings are magnificent to behold. The All-Star cast is impressive. The pacing is somewhat bogged down by insignificant long scenes (eg. the Griffon and Mock Turtle, the Library and the Greenhouse Gardeners). I suggest fast-forwarding through those scenes to improve flow. Martin Short is good as the Mad Hatter. Whoopi Goldberg makes a good Cheshire Cat. The story has a nice theme of Alice's Wonderland encounters helping her gain confidence to perform a a song in at her parents' tea party.
½ March 24, 2007
I feel the all star cast in this film was a little overkill. Granted, Louis Carrol?s ?Alice in Wonderland? is a classic and deserves for the film to tell it well and really capture the adventure and imagination and all this was certainly the case, unfortunately, this is one film that I feel only benefited a younger audience as such, the famous actors could be quite lost on them.
½ March 20, 2007
Damned better than the Disneyfied version. It seems so much more like Wonderland, and it accurately follows the scenes from only Wonderland (no Looking Glass crossover here, thank you very much.) Sure, it is a cameo-appearance parade, but at least they capture the spirit of Alice that had never been truly captured before.

Of course, it would have been nice it the meta-plot wasn't so contrived and stupid... but since it's one of the only Alice interpretations out there that has some respect for the material, it's hard to gripe.
weelee18
December 30, 2007
alice in wonderland is a fav of mines growing up. The music and animation is great. The characters are very wacky. I would highly recommend this to any Disney lovers.
August 9, 2007
I love this NBC version of both Alice stories in one movie.
December 30, 2013
I feel all of the all star cast in this movie was a little overkill. Granted Luis Carlos? Alice in Wonderland? Is a classic and deserve from film to tell it well and capture the adventure and imagination in all this was certainly the case, unfortunately, this is one film that I feel only benefited a younger audience as much, the famous actors could be quite lost of them.
April 16, 2012
I rather enjoyed this. Miranda Richardson is incredible. You can tell it's a TV movie, but it's still pretty damn good.
March 27, 2012
This TV movie is one of numerous projects that adapt the classic Alice novels by Lewis Carroll. This one involves the titular character (Tina Majorino) fleeing to Wonderland after she suffers some stage fright regarding a recital. She then goes through the usual paces and encounters the usual characters. Jim Henson's Creature Shop and an army of CGI artists render the familiar citizens of Wonderland; portrayals are by Gene Wilder, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Short, and a number of other well-known actors. This isn't a bad movie by any means, but I did have a hard time getting past the disturbing feat of having Whoopi Goldberg's face digitally plastered onto a chesire cat's body.
½ May 26, 2011
It's got good visuals and (mostly) good acting. It was definitely on the right track for a while, but then it added an extra half hour toward the end, just to throw in elements from "Through the Looking Glass" for absolutely no reason. It just made the movie drag. And Miranda Richardson is annoying as heck.
½ July 10, 2010
This particular adaptation is not as literal as many of its fellow adaptations. There are some things I really appreciate about the direction they went with the script, but generally they seemed to settle for silly instead of nonsensical. The acting was hit and miss. Some of the actors weren't very good and others were quite good. The basic plot is that Alice visits Wonderland to gain some confidence to perform a song in front of her parents' friends. This is not particularly desirable for the plot as it lead to deviations from the silliness and a few spots of dry moralizing. The few CGI effects gives it an advantage over the other live-action versions, but the actors in costumes are still cumbersome on the screen.

Note: 7 of 20 adaptations down. See blog for more details on this project.
June 3, 2010
This one had to be made by potheads for potheads. Seriously, it's the most screwed up Alice in Wonderland I've ever seen. Condidering the cast you would completely agree that it's zany to the max with Martin Short and all. It is a lot like the book, they even threw in the giant dog, but at the same time they changed a lot of things. It actually scares me with how crazy it is.
½ June 8, 2007
Nick Willing did do a version of Alice In Wonderland that was pretty decent. Then he decided to make a newer version. One that takes place a lot longer in the future. Plus the fact that Wonderland is very different. Imagine Wonderland not being so beautiful but more of an updated poor trashy industrial feel. All the characters are human; including the white rabbit and the caterpillar. Yes he does have a nice all star cast, but he also made the Cheshire Cat show up for a split second and added a serial killer with a porcelain rabbit head. Also did I mention that Alice knows karate. Anyways, it was an interesting take on the story, but the movie was just too boring at parts. Kathy Bates did make a great Red Queen and I really enjoyed Andrew Lee Potts as the Hatter. But everyone else was just up to par. Caterina Scorsone plays Alice and she was ok, but to me, she didn't really seem girly enough. The whole story of this film really seemed pretty interesting and I wanted it to work, but like I said, it was just too boring at parts.
October 8, 2009
An interesting adpatation of the tale, it's costume design and effects are quite amazing but it's far too faithful. The origianl tale was such anti-narrative in it's story, that it only worked because it featured chapters in which the reader knew they were changing into a differnet short story, instead we got a non-sense tale, which is the appeal of the Alice in Wonderland. But it works far better as a book, here it's over-bloated and rather boring for the most part. The mad tea party still stands out, but beyond that it's a mess and a faithful mess at that.
½ August 29, 2009
Even though this is a live version of the beloved classic Lewis Carol Novel, its still not as edgy and just doesnt really catch the feel of the book, and just makes it another live action version. While this is an all star cast and do great at there roles, that just doesnt make up for the plot changes and boring premise. A OK childrens movie.
June 29, 2009
Hysterical movie!!! Miranda Richardson is amazing as The Queen of Hearts!! 'Off with your head!!!!!'
½ April 24, 2007
great live action Alice in Wonderland adaption. Has several really random actors in it including Whoopi Goldberg as the checker cat, Gene Wilder as a dancing turtle, and Christopher Lloyd as a white knight
½ July 13, 2008
Surprisingly better than I thought it would be to the extent that I almost prefer it to the Disney version. Only thing that could of made it better if someone other than Whoopi Goldberg was the cat...
½ June 18, 2008
Ah yes, the NBC mini. I liked all of them. I remember watching this and thinking,"Corina got older..." Then she was in Napolean Dynamite. The End.