Clean Slate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clean Slate Reviews

April 12, 2009
I turned it off. So disappointing! Dana Carvey is such a huge talent but made some awful movies!! Stick with Wayne's World 1 or 2 and Master of Disguise! Great stuff! So much work in this one and Opportunity Knocks for so little fun! The only one that worked with him as a regular guy was Tough Guys.
August 7, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised to find this didn't live up to its bad reputation. Dana Carvey's performance splendidly carries along a rich detective-mystery plotline. A lot of fun!
½ May 22, 2008
Dana Carvey: Incredible member of SNL, great stand up comic and impersonator. However his movies have been shooting blanks. And thats too bad. This one was supposed to be the hit, but it didn't find its audience. But I still love the guy.
January 14, 2007
Verrry funny film! Carvey is good in this one! It goes back and forth over and over again. Pretty clever film in my opinion.
November 19, 2006
This movie is dumb, but I give it two stars just because it made me think about how terrible it would be to forget everything every day.
July 16, 2013
I Like James Earl Jones.
June 28, 2013
Another bad Dana Carvey movie, but not as bad as the last one I saw which was Master of Disguise. The movie has like 2 laughs and offers absolutely nothing memorable at all and I will probably forget what happened in the film by tomorrow. It is also like the comedy version of Memento without hardly any laughs.
½ September 28, 2012
Just saw this on HBO, and I had to keep watching because it was so unusual. Sure, "Memento" flashed through my mind, and it was clear this was supposed to be a send-up of film noirs as well. But the movie, an odd and uneven amalgam of noir-homage, comedy, and mystery, was original in its own right.

The comedic element to the movie was mild, and almost exclusively based on Carvey's reactions to not knowing what's going on almost the entire movie. The comedy scenes were chucklers, never guffaw-worthy. And though I kept expecting Carvey to break into SNL wackiness, he underplays his opportunities for laughs, with only a hint of twinkle in his eye: he's clearly playing a leading man here, which is not what I expected. But he acquits himself fairly well. Plus, I remember Ms. Golino from having a crush on her in "Rain Man;" she's quite luminous here. And you'll recognize Kevin's older sister from "The Wonder Years" in a small femme-fatale role.

To me, what made the movie was how we are plunged into the "what the heck is going on" perspective along with Carvey. Until he falls asleep, we know only what he knows, and in essence, we as the audience are experiencing the same confusion he is. Directorially, that concept was very well created. Once he wakes up, it's "50 First Dates" from a first-person perspective instead of "Memento," and yet the film retains most of its mystery and modest appeal.

All in all, the film was...well, interesting, and diverting, even involving, until the denouement, which after the interesting set-up, ends too quickly, and left me wanting more twists. But I noticed one critic said it's guaranteed that you will forget it by the next morning, a review pullquote that apes the film's concept. Well, I was thinking about it the next morning...thinking how it could have been changed to elevate it from good to great. And it's rare that I think about that after a movie is over, and generally it's only with a movie that's pretty darned good ("Broadcast News" comes to mind--man, how to change those last ten minutes...) Be clear: "Clean Slate" is not "Broadcast News," not even in the same universe. But it's watchable, and for sure it's better than 19%. So if it comes on, try it for a few minutes: I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised.
½ July 29, 2012
I was never a real Carvey fan. Even in this cheesy flick, James Earl Jones earned this movie an extra star. I laughed a couple of times, but not really worth renting unless you can watch it via Netflix or w/e free.
½ June 24, 2011
Critics hate this, but I liked it and found it so funny that I may have collapsed a few times. The part when Dana Carvey bursts on stage to get away from the bad guys and begins to conduct a presentation that he knows nothing about is my favorite. It could have been 10 times better without the romance with the femme fatale, though.