The Mask Reviews

bbcfloridabound
October 27, 2007
truly enjoy this film. It isn't the best movie ever or anything like that but it is still a hugely enjoyable comedy in my opinion. And I also think that along with Liar Liar and The Truman Show that The Mask is one of Jim Carrey's better movies. Here Carrey's role is split, his mild mannered banker and a wild, crazy superhero. Either way, he excels in this film, he is completely in his element and completely unpredictable. He is helped by the special effects, which are utterly amazing, a truly imaginative and sophisticated visual style that worked so well here. Here because of the special effects, Carrey moves around at whirlwind speed, pops his eyeballs and swaps parts of his anatomy for his cartoon equivalents and you know what it is jolly funny. There are so many good scenes though my favourite was the Bugs Bunny-style Cuban Pete routine. Also superb are the script, which is as funny and as imaginative as the film itself and the suitably tongue in cheek music score. Not to mention the adorable pet dog, underrated Peter Reigert, Peter Greene's Dorian and gorgeous Cameron Diaz. Overall, hugely enjoyable, funny and imaginative, 3 Stars 4/2001 (Updated)
July 11, 2007
One of my fave Jim Carrey films. Very funny and good animation for the mask. One of Cameron Diaz earliest films. Re-watched recently, starting to look a bit dated now and comic book humour losing it's charm now.
Directors Cat
August 16, 2011
The Mask is the funniest film I have ever seen in my life. It's the film that started my love for the talented Jim Carrey. His enthusiasm and rubber faced antics really bring the comic book hero to life and the acting from Cameron Diaz as Stanley Ipkiss' love interest cannot be wthout praise. It's the rare slapstick comedy film that can be enjoyed by anyone. Jim makes the most of the materials he is given, you'll love his lively stunts and the references to classic Warner Bros. cartoons from the golden age of animation. A jazzy film with a classic feel that's by far the best of Carrey physically.
October 29, 2011
The sort of film you can put on a saturday afternoon and actually pay attention to, funny in a way and a fun story and all round.
michael e.
½ May 23, 2011
Carrey could've done a lot better in this film
August 1, 2011
Great whacky Jim Carrey movie. Loved it as a kid......one of a kind.
deano
October 11, 2006
S-S-S-SMOKIN'! Awesome, hilariously funny and crazy action-comedy of a wise-cracking love-crazy and crime-fighting green tornado. Jim Carrey brings an awesome acting on his rubber-faced when wearing a green mask.
The success of the film wholly depends on Carrey, as he has to sell his characters' frenzied insanity so that it's believable as a reflection of Stanley's inner self while at the same time likable but teetering on the edge of becoming obnoxiously overbearing. Of course, the amazing special effects and make-up help, as well as the clever script and more than competent directing and cinematography, but with the wrong actor in the part, the whole affair could have easily collapsed.
And Cameron Diaz is a real knockout in her debut, even keeping pace with the rubber-legged Carrey in the dance sequence that has to be seen to be believed.
I like the scene of The Mask in a hilarious part where he dances and makes the police squad dance either. It really makes one wanna dance.
Based on Dark Horse comic book series created by writer John Arcudi and artist Doug Mahnke, and based on a concept by publisher Mike Richardson.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 4, 2011
The Mask is a very interesting comedy film. With brilliant directing by Chuck Russell, The Mask is an entertaining humourous film with style. I thought the plot was very interesting and like I said, interesting. Based on The Mask comic book, The filmmakers have toned down violence and has reinvented a different style for the film. The violence in the film plays out more for comic relief than anything else. Jim Carrey delivers one of his most memorable performances of his career as mild mannered banker Stanley Ipkiss who finds a green Mask and puts it on only to realize the mask has powers that turn him into a prankster. The Mask is terrific special effects laden comedy film with a hint of Sci Fi. The Mask is of course memorable for Cameron Diaz' acting debut, and this is really her best performance of her career. The Mask is a well acted film with a great story, good directing and plenty of laughs. This is one of Jim Carrey's best performances and he is truly electrifying on screen. The Mask is visually appealing, and it has a fairly good story. The film is silly at times, but never goes overboard to become irritating to the viewer. The Mask is an exciting, thrilling film that everytime I watch, I always get entertained. There's never anything boring here, at times, you see that things could have been done better with the film, but fore what it is, The Mask manages to be one, entertaining and memorable comedic ride.
September 6, 2010
I thought this movie was really fun and humorous when I was young, but now it's just stupid. Still, if you love Jim Carrey and stupid comedy, this is a great movie. Overall, it's entertaining.
DreamExtractor
May 9, 2011
Ha, this movie is always fun to watch. Jim Carrey fits the role perfectly. The story is fun. I didnt like Cameron Diaz in this. But overall the people who dont like it are wrong.
TheGame90
½ November 2, 2010
It's been a while since I saw it...And it is still a good movie. Surprisingly good effects.
Movie Monster
½ October 3, 2010
Good and enjoyable film. It may be very cartoony but Jim Carrey's jokes and gags make it a fun watching experience. A must-see for those who like cartoons. Just stay away from the sequel!

"SMOKIN'!"
August 22, 2007
Hmmm the comic is violent and very cool, much like sin city style, this is kiddie rubbish. The effects now look awful, Carrey is just a prat and its not funny or close to its original source. Diaz makes up for this slightly.
June 24, 2010
it was okay. C
3niR
½ February 15, 2010
It's kinda irritating at some point. And not that funny. Watchable.
½ January 18, 2010
Jim Carrey at his best! The green face suits him in this extremely fun comedy!
½ November 25, 2009
A classic Jim Carrey role and one of his most entartaining at that. The Mask is extremely bizarre and stylized to look like a dream. It is an extremely fun movie that never tires. It has a really interesting story that was original and hilarious.
½ September 24, 2009
I have nothing but hate for this movie or for Jim Carrey, the rubber faced goon!
CloudStrife84
April 10, 2007
Wacky, looney and amazingly entertaining! This is easily one of Carrey's best movies, and the performance he gives here almost leaves you lost for words. His energy seems completely without limit and he delivers with such perfect comedic timing, that it'd be an insult to call him anything less than a genius. Another plus is Cameron Diaz, who looks more stunning here than any other role I've ever seen her in. Don't expect your intellect to get very stimulated though, because this is more of a live-action cartoon than a regular comedy. Kind of like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, only more high tempo. So if you liked that film, you're gonna love this one.
March 12, 2009
A good old-fashioned romp. Cameron Diaz was so much more attractive and talented in her salad days.