Angels in the Outfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angels in the Outfield Reviews

½ July 25, 2007
From the first shot to the last the strings on the puppet are always clearly in evidence in this popular Disney release I only now got around to viewing. Its cool that I did wait so long: would I have recognized so many up and coming stars (Adrien Brody, Matthew McConaughey - with his shirt off, natch, Joe Gordon Levitt, for instance) otherwise? But the cheese is laid on pretty thick, even for a family film combining baseball, orphans, and faith in God. Still, like a puppy who pees on yer new living room carpet, it's hard to be too mad about it
June 7, 2013
Angels in the Outfield is a dull family film that is far too sentimental to really stand out among other films and isn't entertaining in the long run. This is a boring film with a lazy cast, and dreadful performances. This is among the worst family films that Disney has produced. I thought that the film lacked anything to capture your interest and it was a total misfire. Sometimes, inspirational, feel good films tend to be lacking significantly, and Angels in the Outfield is one of those movies. I was bored with the plot, and the cast just didn't deliver any memorable performances. The material, although good natured, just fails to really engage the viewer, and in turn it becomes a highly forgettable feel good film, where other films are much better and stand out more. This is a stale train wreck of a movie, and by the time the credits roll, you want more out of the film. However, the script is flawed, has a lazy, predictable story and cheesy performances. This film plays out more like a bad joke, and it just doesn't accomplish what it sets out to do. There are far better films of this caliber out there, and this one is just not worth seeing. This film could have been good, but the filmmakers go overboard on its sentimental overtones, which never works, and ends up falling apart far too quickly. Watch something else instead; you'll be glad you did. Angels in the Outfield is a misfire of a family film, one that should be forgotten about. This was a disappointing an awful and the only entertaining part are seeing the credits roll. This film just lacks any shroud of originality, and peppers the plot with ever genre cliché that you can think of. Avoid this film, and watch Toy Story, Casper or The Sandlot instead. This family film is bad and pointless.
michael e.
½ January 8, 2011
a lame and long intro and a plot that will make you sleep the only redeemable factor of this movie is Christopher lloyd but the rest of the movie will put you to sleep
½ June 9, 2006
Typical sentimental predictable fluff from Disney. There are some amusing and entertaining moments, but there's really nothing remarkable about what's on display here. Thank God Joseph Gordon-Levitt was able to redeem himself after this with the rest of his career.
March 19, 2010
a story of hope
½ March 22, 2010
It was very average. Yes, it had it's touchy moments, but that is the only reason why i half liked it! It was a little corny at times, and the plot is pretty cliche. Disney took a little bit of a wrong turn here!
½ March 26, 2007
Pleasant if sometimes cloying family film with added attraction of several up and coming actors in small roles.
October 25, 2008
This movie had some big but not so known names at the time for a diseny movie. Matthew McConaghley, Danny Glover, and Tony Danza. All the actors were top-notched and in many fantasy films such as this you often find the actors unconvincing of there far out roles... that's not the case in this one... they all play them very believable.

The story is a fun-family movie with some cheesy jokes and scenes but it's worth a good laugh, especially with a few kids. I used to watch this on a daily basis as a kid. Now that I am older it's hard for me to really sit and watch it the entire time through but I still watch it with my nephew and laugh at all the memorable scenes I loved when I was younger.

It's a diseny classic.
December 27, 2006
Sure this is a family film designed for the kiddies, but it is pretty good. Plus after seeing it again for the first time in years I now notice all the people in this flick. Matthew McConaughey is in the flick along with Adrien Brody.
May 31, 2007
well generally I like all sports movies but in this ocasion I must say that this one wasn't the best one. The movie is saved by the performances of Danny Glover and Christopher Lloyd
May 20, 2007
Another film that should be seen by every human being at least once. Pretty good.
May 6, 2007
I really think God has better things to do.
January 22, 2007
January 12, 2007
why didnt the angels just make his dad stay with his mom, sounds easier to me
July 25, 2006
this was funny i was a bit tired when i watched this so i wish id paid more attention lol
½ November 9, 2006
½ May 15, 2011
Even when I was a kid I thought this movie sucked.
½ April 10, 2007
If you didn't for some reason enjoy this movie, then you have no beliefs in anything, or for some odd reason, don't like america's passtime baseball. How can you?
½ May 14, 2010
I used to love this movie when I was a kid. Two children live in a foster home and love spending time tigether watching baseball, when one of the kids begins to see angels helping the baseball team the coach gets interested in this phenomenon. This movie was great for family entertainment.
March 28, 2010
The movie is about a baseball team that's falling behind, and a young fan (a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt) wishing them to win, since his deadbeat dad (the convincingly sleazy Dermot Mulroney) sarcastically says that their being a family again is as unlikely as the last-place California Angels winning the pennant. Although the film has many flaws, it is just so touching and heartwarming. Danny Glover is hilarious as the feisty manager whose team gets some help from above. Christopher Lloyd is funny and believable as heavenly herald Al. Also starring Tony Danza, Adrien Brody and the sexy Matthew McConaughey!.