The Specialist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Specialist Reviews

½ July 22, 2010
Not a great movie, but it's just too much fun not to enjoy on some level. You've got Sly as a bomb expert who finds a ton of different ways to blow you up. Sharon Stone adds to the mix mostly as eye candy, but she's actually a really good character too. Everyone else in the cast is pretty much star-studded as well, including Eric Roberts, Rod Steiger and James Woods. You pretty much know what type of movie it is before you put it in, so you'll either love it or hate it.
ScoopOnline
January 14, 2010
Sly ist the Best!
The government taught him to kill. Now he's using his skills to help a woman seek revenge against the Miami underworld.
movieguru12
August 2, 2009
I liked this movie alot. Sylvester Stallone works very well in the action films that he stars in & this was one of them. Loved the scenes he did with Sharon Stone as well. Just a great movie! :) Love it no matter what critics or people say. :) Absoulutly a fave of mine. :) Will absolutly watch this movie again!!! Love it! :) Just a great movie, my dad even liked it lol. :) Sly rox!!!!! Can't wait to own it. :)
½ December 31, 2006
A very good action/thriller about a bomb specialist going after the mafia for revenge.
DragonEyeMorrison
February 17, 2008
Sharon Stone was still hot those days, nothing else to add. I hope Woods got enough money for doing this crap.
deano
½ February 18, 2007
Only the action sequences and the larger-than-life supporting performance by James Woods save this action movie from being an utter disaster. Sylvester Stallone makes a great performance as the explosives specialist hired by a woman seeking revenge against the Cuban-American gangsters who killed her parents.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
entertaining movie
garyX
½ January 2, 2007
Laughable action thriller in which Sly and Stone completely fail to ignite any chemistry at all in amongst a load of pointless explosions and uninteresting plot "twists". James Woods looks like he's enjoying himself a lot more than the audience is.
½ November 26, 2006
I caught the last half hour and that was all I needed to see thank you very much.
March 19, 2007
Good movie but I wouldn't classify it as AWFUL as some of the reviews posted it up as. The performances were believable, Sharon Stone and Sylvester Stallone lit up the screen, Even James Woods was incredible in this movie.
xxdebxx
February 28, 2010
"Specialist" hitman (Stallone) teams up with a beautiful woman (Sharon Stone) who wants him to eliminate three gangsters who murdered her parents. James Woods makes a terrific villain and is great as Stallone's former partner turned enemy, he was really good at being bad while Stallone gets rid of his enemies using bombs instead of guns. Eric Roberts was excellent as the vicious and narcissistic son of a drug baron (Rod Steiger).
With loads of big explosions and fight scenes combined with an erotic shower scène (well Sharon Stone is in it and we expect that lol), it's certainly worth a one time watch.
EnigmaticHallucination
½ June 26, 2009
So this is my 3rd Sly flick in a night and needless to say I should stop. This is the movie to finish up with though as the work with explosives, the ingenius complex nature of it perfectly molded into each scene that it is deployed just make it fun to watch. Sly is once again the quiet guy we've all come to know and love, he's the giant jungle cat that's been caged and has that dim light behind his eyes where the once wild spirit raged but has been tamed by time and the bars of bad movies *which there aren't many until much later*.

So here's the score, you got Sly VS Woods, wonderful face off. Sharon just gets in the way trying to be a sex symbol that only seems to look like she escaped from some rehab clinic and thinks she still has it. Sly plays the good guy who uses his powers for good, Woods, his teachers/mentor/pimp-daddy, is the guy who plays a mercenary like they should be. Much like the guns of the old west you got James working for a shady drug/mob/punk guy. James is called in to help counteract what Sly is doing as he helps the mental midget Stone get free of the bad mans grasp. The explosions and their use are the real stars of the film. Special effects and the science behind it all makes it a great watch. The story isn't anything new or shocking but it still is enough to hold the attention of most.
½ August 15, 2008
Watched this today because there was nothing else on tele and it was an all right film. There was quite a lot of action, mostly involving explosions - lots of them.
Silverster Stallone plays the usual role of a tough and clever assassin. Sharon Stone did pretty well too, though I haven't seen many of her films so can't compare this role to her other ones. The acting by James Woods impressed me a lot actually.
Overall it's an OK film, that maybe you just watch 1-2 times because then this film doesn't provide anything special for the rewatching.
February 20, 2008
Another hidden beauty or treasure if you will i loved this movie minus rod steiger's terrible performance as an italian.
DrLappos
½ July 4, 2007
Emjoyan;e pap.
½ January 31, 2016
That seat's taken.

An ex-girlfriend calls her ex-boyfriend and claims to have had her family killed by the mafia. The ex-boyfriend is a former bomb expert for a tactical force but he has retired. He reluctantly begins helping the girl only to find himself caught between the mafia and police officers working for the mafia.

"You know, the next time you order a hit you might want to consider taking out your decorator."

Luis Llosa, director of Sniper, Anaconda, Fire on the Amazon, The Feast of the Goat, and Crime Zone, delivers The Specialist. The storyline for this picture is very straightforward and unimaginative. The action scenes are just okay and the characters are mediocre. The cast delivers average performances and the cast includes Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone, James Woods, Eric Roberts, and Rod Stieger.

"Anybody shoots and I shoot them."

I recently came across this on Netflix and decided to watch it again for the first time in a long time. I never thought this was anything special and having watched it again...I now know why. Overall, this is a very average addition to the action genre.

"That's new."

Grade: C
October 20, 2015
I suppose there's a reason why I never heard of this movie. All the cool explosions and Sharon Stone's sexy legs couldn't save this one. Heck, not even James Woods being his usual smarmy self made me like this one. The horrible plot combined with the ridiculous romantic subplot is what killed this. No doubt Sly Stallone's worst outing, blegh.
February 20, 2012
A film that had a lot of potential with an intriguing premise and cast but just never came together.
½ June 9, 2013
I was well aware of this film's reputation, but I had a feeling that I was going to have fun with it, and I was not disappointed. The plot is convoluted, the acting is hilariously bad (Especially the performance by James Woods), there's plenty of action, shameless sex scenes and nudity, and cheesy music as well (Complete with the sexy saxophone music you'd expect from this era). Overall, if you enjoy nonsensical action flicks, The Specialist is a good piece of popcorn entertainment that will give you what you seek.