• R, 3 hr.

Beloved Reviews

RCCLBC
RCCLBC

February 20, 2007
I think this movie was greatly underated partly because of Oprah's involvment, but she does another amazing job at acting and the film is beautifully shot and it's a story that will first touch and then break your heart. Jonathan Demme did an amazing job, powerful stuff.
John B

September 2, 2007
A disappointment. The grant return of Oprah Winfrey to the big screen is a forgettable tale of slavery. So many other attempts have been better presented.
Daniel P

April 28, 2008
Made with conviction, passion, labor and the very best of intentions, Beloved is a dense, complex, hard going but rewarding film based on a Pulitzer Prize winning novel. Oprah Winfrey may have a limited range but she gives it all 100%, and Kimberley Elise is especially excellent. The fantastical elements remain convincing by virtue of their being presented as part of the everyday, whilst the issue of slavery is shown for all its horror by being so personally entwined in the core group of characters. The occasionally over-played scene (Thandie Newton lurches from brilliant to unintentionally funny, often in the same scene) and the confusing first section stop it from becoming the masterpiece that Demme and Winfrey so clearly strived for, but this remains a massively undervalued and underrated film, worthy of re-investigation.
ChGeor9
October 14, 2009
I thought Danny Glover proved how good of actor he can be both at Drama and Comedy. I thought they were a good cast for the story.
April 3, 2008
I don't think this film would have left any impression on me had I not read and enjoyed the novel beforehand. A lot of things are glossed over in the movie, which is amazing considering it's 3 hour runtime. I'm sure it must seem disjointed at parts to those who aren't familiar with Morrison's book.

I was a bit bugged with Thandie Newton's portrayal of Beloved, which seemed somewhere between ghoul and mental retardation. When reading the book, I got a kind of quiet, unassuming scheming figure with a hint of dignity in there. Maybe I was wrong. Whoops.
December 6, 2006
WEIRD. I can't believe I actually watched this movie. I can't believe Oprah showed that many different kinds of body fluid in one film!
jonathanstephenson
July 15, 2007
A near brilliant movie, albeit difficult to watch, all aspects of the production are first rate, and the acting is brilliant, the story masterfully told. It was a tad long, and some of the scene's of brutality to the slaves in the movie are quite disturbing, but a must see movie for true movie lovers willing to sink their teeth into this tale!
AngelZaura
July 7, 2007
Wonderfully acted and amazingly haunting. A story for all actors to enjoy and learn a thing or two from.
shelerella
June 15, 2007
For me this movie was a three hour practice in emotional abuse. I found it confusing and too convoluted. I'll admit the acting was great and the story was gripping, but it was extremely sad and after three hours all that sadness was exhausting, and I went away feeling unpleasant...I had a hard time getting through it and ultimately the only thing happy about the ending is that it is over.
June 13, 2007
I loved the concept of this movie and was surprised at Oprah's adaptation. She was wonderful. I could have lived without seeing Danny Glovers ass but you know.........This movie did the book justice as well.
CountryFried
May 31, 2007
I read this gripping tale by Toni Morrison, it was heart wrenching and unforgettable, and the movie follows the book well. Don't recommend for kids.
odymoma
April 24, 2007
I had hoped this would be a good movie but it was AWEFUL, it made me wish i had never seen it, I LOVE Danny most of the time but this was beyond bad in my opinion
April 1, 2007
AHHHHH!
Read the book instead!
Please, do not subject yourself to the horror that is the movie version of Beloved! (Or watch it if you want to laugh and be really creeped out and uncomfortable... and see Danny Glover's ass.)
mschocolate808
March 20, 2007
Sometime we think that we are making the right choice for the right reason and things just back fire at us because of a instant choice
February 26, 2007
Powerful movie that barely scratches the surface of the book. Too bad people didn't understand the depth of both.
klw90044
February 20, 2007
Tells the story of slavery in America and how it contiues to impact the lifes of african americans still today... You must pay attention.... this piece moves back and forthfrom time periods from the days when Blacks were separated from their familys by slaveowners and demostrates how it impacted future generations.. A must see
ayemorena
January 27, 2007
I"m still not sure who the girl was in this movie, but I do know that these were VERY tortured souls.
victorwantsrevenge
December 29, 2006
Not a film. Art. A misunderstood masterpiece, Demme does the impossible and translates the densely written book to the screen. Flawed but still amazing to watch, I love that it evokes a time period I never experienced, but makes me feel as if I was there, witnessing the brutality of man against man.
filmlover1994
November 21, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
September 16, 2013
STRONG PLOT OF CHRISTIAN AND HISTORY OF REDEMPTION AT THE EXAMPLE OF BELOVED".

Mother killed her child for not suffering because of its slavery. God became a human body giving Himself for frightening pain and death on the cross to redeem people who killed him and show in that way the power of his love for them. He didn't want the suffering and pain of his children who are His creations in human bodies, in hell with Satan and his fallen angels for the whole eternity. God has got a plan for every human, that's why he's suffering when someone kills his creation. Only God, not human, is perfect in Its love and only this love has made happened that Jesus his Son couldn't go against his Father during his suffering on Earth. Jesus only told his Father - 'God, God why did you leave me ?' - He has only though He left him alone. God answered nothing. Jesus, who is a God in human body didn't rebel against his Father in opposite to the human being at the beginning of the times. Jesus trusted his Father. Human trusted Satan and that's why human love cannot be perfect. Jesus Christ throughout his sacrifice has given an eternity life for every person, who truly wants it and regrets his own sins even if it is a murderer because he promised that on the cross and in many other situations. Sethe without any doubt had got her hands in scarlet. She has just thought she had loved her children very much, that's why she tried to kill them, but she really regretted her act against children's life. The proof of it is that Sethe wanted to serve her "survived" daughter. She wanted to take care and spend with evil Beloved all the time. The young strange woman has appeared in the house when the devilish spirit of the death daughter had calmed. That was the sign the evil spirit became a body. After all there is no possibility to compare the death of Sethe's child to the death of God's Son. That's the reason, the context of these deaths is completely different and contrary. God has sacrificed his own child, his perfect love for life of many sinners, in addition with the agreement of Jesus, but this woman sinned against this perfect love, taking back a life of her child, a child of God as well. God has forgiven Sethe's murder like he said and the proof of this is that the woman named Beloved has disappeared when old Christian women had made an exorcism. They were standing by the house praying and singing in the name of Jesus Christ. It was some kind of Christian exorcism and it seemed to be successful. Jesus went to Sethe and set her free from the evil past. Sethe said: 'You cannot love much and you cannot love less. You just can love or not'. Well, I agree, but our love will never be perfect in this life from the point of view of Christianity and from my point of view. So I can say: 'Sethe, you have no idea what the real love is'.