The Fast and the Furious Reviews

August 31, 2014
Back in the mid-1950's, before anyone could guess that there'd be any kind of a market for films about driving fast Roger Corman and John Ireland produced this quickly assembled thrill ride about an escaped con and his hostage on the run ... in a smooth Jaguar XK120 (0 - 60 in 10.0 as tested, top speed of 126 mph, the fastest production car of its time). Dorothy Malone and Ireland are a good team and although the cars are old the action isn't.
And many years later they would decide to bring back the old idea. ..
½ April 18, 2010
Not very fast nor terribly furious.
½ September 5, 2010
I don't know if the new "fast and furious" movies are anything like this one, I haven't seen them, but in my opinion this movie is really very cool. It was written by Corman, and you can tell it's sort of a cross between his later films and a film noir. It's exciting and I really enjoyed it.
½ February 21, 2012
I'm still trying to find the logic of how hair can still look good in a speeding car with the top down.
½ November 16, 2010
wow not so great very classic movie (this is public domain) of the 1950's with roger corman who did story and the producer in this film. not bad this movie with starring john ireland but he the director also and along with dorothy malone. watch out for roger corman cameo with uncredited role.
July 30, 2009
The Fast and the Furious (1954)

With the latest of the Fast and the Furious franchise coming out on DVD, I thought that I'd make a quick comment on this movie. This low-budget Roger Corman-style juvenile delinquent movie has nothing to do with the new franchise, but seems to work okay, on its own merits. Frank Webster (John Ireland), is a man hiding from the police and gets involved in a road rally when he tries to steal Connie Adair's (Dorothy Malone) Jaguar.

Not much here folks, but kind of quaint for those who enjoy an older movie.
½ July 11, 2014
"I guess I should be thankful you haven't killed me yet."
"Don't tempt me.

A wrongly imprisoned man breaks out of jail and heads for freedom. To execute this master plan he kidnaps a girl and steals her car. This isn't the easiest way to avoid the authorities and they're quickly on his tale. The prisoner will try to convince the girl to get off his case while he heads towards salvation.

"I said I was sorry."
"You're about the sorriest creature I've ever seen."

John Ireland, director of Hannah Lee: An American Primitive, delivers The Fast and the Furious. The storyline for this picture is above average and worth a viewing. I wouldn't say this is a classic or anywhere in the conversation with Faster Pussy Cat, Kill Kill! The action scenes were okay and the film relied heavily on dialogue. The cast delivers fairly average performances and includes John Ireland and Dorothy Malone.

"It's good for your figure."
"There's nothing wrong with my figure."
"I've noticed."

I came across this on Netflix and had to give it a viewing based on the title alone as well as due to my love affair with the grindhouse genre. Overall, this movie is just okay and far from a grindhouse classic, but the film is still worth watching unfold. I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this but I'd give it a viewing if you come across it..

"You can't prove your innocence running away."
"I can't prove it dead."

Grade: B-
January 20, 2013
After 60 years ths film still doesn't miss a beat. Exciting, thrilling, and Furious
March 1, 2011
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS [1955]: What makes this film memorable is aside for the fact this is where the 2001 Vin Diesel film got its title from is the fact this was the first film made by legendry B-Movie and exploitation studio American International Pictures. Produced and Co-Written by Roger Corman, THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS is a surprisingly enjoyable film.

The Plotline: involves an escaped convict who kidnaps a young woman and her classic Jaguar and high tales it to Mexico. But the way to do that is to enter a road race that will enter Mexico, but will the woman help the convict when he reviles he is an innocent man?

Overall decent scripting, direction, camera-work and acting make this first AIP outing enjoyable in comparison to some of their other 1950's B-Grade films. My rating for this AIP/Roger Corman film is a simple 60%.
August 9, 2010
Produced by Roger Corman from an original story of his, this ultra low budget 73 minute thriller stars John Ireland (who also co directs) as a man on the run from the cops. After being charged for murder, that he claims wasn't his fault, he plans his escape by kidnapping a female racing driver (Dorothy Malone) and entering a cross country race that leads to Mexico and freedom.

A ridiculous plot that I suppose is expected from Corman, this differs from the Vim Diesel 2001 version where the undercover cop becomes the racer. It has more plot holes in the script than it has potholes in the road.

The acting is average at best with John Ireland showing that he is not really leading man material, or a decent director. Dorothy Malone is pleasant enough - the last time I saw her was in The Big Sleep flirting with Humphrey Bogart in the ACME book store scene. I need to see more of her.

The main selling point are the actual cars and the race, with it's sped up frames making it a thrilling chase finale.

Overall, unless you're a petrol head with a penchant for vintage cars and old films, I'd steer clear of this.
January 25, 2009
The Fast and The Furious
directed by John Ireland
written by Jean Howell, Jerome Odlum
based on a story by Roger Corman
starring John Ireland, Dorothy Malone, Jean Howell, Marshall Bradford, Larry Thor, Lou Faraday, Bruce Carlisle, Bruno VeSota

A trucker named Frank Webster (Ireland) is charged with running another trucker off the road and killing him. He is sent to prison and manages to break out and finds himself on the run. He reaches a small diner where he is accosted by Bob Nielson, also a truck driver, and manages to knock him out. He grabs Connie Adair and forces himself into her car where he takes off just ahead of a major manhunt in his honor.

The film focuses on the way that Connie turns from professing to loathing Webster to loving him. It?s a predictable plot device and it never quite heats the film up to a considerable degree. It?s obvious they are going to get together and there is no mystery to it. Webster just kisses her early on and that is that. She isn?t even stunned by the kiss and seems to take it as part of her captivity. Of course she warms up to her captor almost immediately so whatever tension might have been brought between them is quickly demolished and it?s to the film?s detriment.

All that happens is that the pair drive to a great street race and Webster drives in it in order to lay low and avoid the police. That?s really it as far as plot. There is no conflicts, no terrors, and nothing particularly pressing throughout the rest of the film. It?s focus is one dimensional and it doesn?t quite manage to keep the attention of the audience altogether. The race isn?t terribly exciting and the relationship is typical so there is nothing to get worked up over.

The real joy in this film is Dorothy Malone. She has a Grace Kelly quality to her and looks quite good all roughed up. Webster has his way with Connie-- shoving her onto the ground, picking her up hard by the arm, and she seems to enjoy this type of treatment. He even ties her hands, completing the slave-master relationship that develops between them. Webster is very hard with Connie and treats her with disdain before forcing himself on her early on in the film. He literally takes her and she?s perfectly willing to give herself up. She?s fairly weak throughout the film and this is made concrete after Webster locks her in a barn. She meekly cries out for help for quite a while before finally hitting on the idea to set the barn on fire in the hopes that someone will see it smoldering and rescue her. She seems to be the type who is always in the need of such rescuing and incapable of doing much her self although it is mentioned that she is something of a race car driver herself. All that is thrown out the window in this film as she appears to be trapped for much of the film.

Yes, the trapped woman totally at the mercy of a seemingly dangerous man who may or may not be a heartless killer is a staple of this genre. They are sweet natured, essentially meek, and unable to force their way out of their dire situation. The only option is to succumb to the man?s gristly charm and further become but another trophy he has accumulated along his particular hard path. He is a ravisher and she knows this. She also knows she shouldn?t give in because by doing so she might be putting herself in acute danger. Still, she is unable to prevent the inevitable from sweeping her away so she does what comes naturally to any woman when put in such a situation. She allows herself to be subdued and captured by a man who is possibly capable of some exceedingly shifty business.

John Ireland plays Webster with a knowingness that informs his character with a sense of purpose. It is always clear that Webster is in control of every situation, especially when it has to do with Connie. Webster is a confident man who is determined to escape the slick hand of justice and it is apparent that he?s willing for much of the film to take Connie down with him as far as he goes. He knows he has her and that she clings to him tenaciously and will not let go. It certainly helps him as he scrambles away from the authorities who seem to have an ubiquitous presence in this film. They appear at every turn and Webster is forced into a position where he must keep his eye firmly on his goal lest he lose his most precious commodity?his freedom.

Overall, this film has a gritty style and possesses a considerable amount of energy throughout. It doesn?t maintain a proper tension between the two leads which manages to grind the film down. There are no mysteries in this film as it drives forth toward only one conclusion that is predictable and possibly necessary for the narrative. Still, the film doesn?t work and the results aren?t vital enough to sustain it?s promise. It?s generic and none-too-stylistic although Dorothy Malone is worth looking at, particularly when she is being roughhoused and reduced to her primal, carnal core. Connie is all flesh and her button-up presentation has a definitive erotic appeal.
August 25, 2005
The original Fast and the Furious leaves you wondering...where is the progression of our hero?

The acting is nondescript, but the car chases can be quite enticeing.

Directing: 7
Acting: 4
Script: What Script?
Special Effects: 5

If you like this kind of stuff, watch it. If otherwise, don't.