93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Street Fighter Reviews

Phil H

June 9, 2008
Absolutely terrible action film based very very loosely on the 'Street Fighter 2' computer game. Van Damme looks fine but acts badly as are the rest of the cast who are all just awful, simply dreadful. No one actually looks like their videogame counterpart accept maybe Raul Julia who saves a little grace as 'Bison' but he's hardly the right build for him.

The action and fight sequences are pitiful, totally laughable, I can't even bring myself to call them action sequences whilst the sets look like paper thin sets merely with lots of metal and monitors everywhere.

The main issue with this 'film' is the fact its totally and completely made for kids, watered down to the bone with nothing for anyone over the age of about 13 to enjoy. Game fans will be like...'excuse me!!?' whilst most adults will simply piss their pants with laughter. Just adding the odd chase sequence or explosion doesn't make things all better Mr Director.

One of the only films I can say is sheer dross and less than B-movie standards mainly because it cost a bomb to make, had a HUGE merchandise and marketing push. It was actually advertised as a serious action film (probably due to JCVD being in it), it was! I remember seeing it in the cinema.

SFII cannot be made into a serious or semi serious film end of, the characters and stories just don't work in this field. Animated yes, live action no, no no no hell no. The best bit of the film has to be the introduction of 'Blanka' and 'Dhalsim', I swear only Ed Wood could compete with that.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 25, 2007
I'm sitting here laughing to myself because I gave this such a high rating. This movie is one gigantic piece of crap, but yet it's too damned enjoyable to be written off completely. Street Fighter is an adaptation of the Street Fighter II game that was all the rage in arcades across the globe during the early 90's. That game had bits of a storyline, but for the movie, they expanded and changed a lot of it. This is also notorious for being Raul Julia's final film, has he passed away from stomach cancer afterwards. Thankfully, he goes out with an amazing performance. Like Frank Langella was to Masters of the Universe, Raul Julia is to Street Fighter. He gives a well-read and fun performance. Everyone else is atrocious, including JCVD, but the action and comedy is so bad that it's good. Definitely check it out if you're looking for something easy to take in without a lot of brain power. You certainly don't need any to enjoy this piece of horse manure.
Eric A

November 21, 2011
Cool to see a childhood video game put into a film, but all in all, the film is cheesy and many characters could have looked alot better. I think that if you have played Street Fighter before watching this then you will appreciate it somewhat, but if you have no idea what Street Fighter is while going into this film, then you will think it is a complete disaster.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
It's so bad, that it's actually good. This movie is hilarious, over the top, stupid, and a lot of fun. I especially loved Raul Julia as the bad guy.
Jason O

November 21, 2010
It's certainly no Mortal Kombat, but still not bad. But I love Van Damme movies, even when they're not one of his best.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 4, 2010
Even as a little kid, I knew there was something very wrong (a lot of things, actually) with this movie. If they were to do this film over, they'd need to drastically change how things are done, specifically by casting actors that more closely resemble the characters. I like Wes Studi, but he's not Thai. Van Damme is a guilty pleasure, but really? First time I saw this I thought it was cool, but didn't care about it. A couple of cscenes with Bison are okay, but Raul Julia deserved to go out on a far higher note than this...unless you count The burning Season...but still..even then...

Bah! Talking about this anymore will just make me angrier. To hell with this crap!
Conner R

May 29, 2010
Not as bad as people say it is, it's a cheesy action movie that's without a doubt fun all the way through. Jean-Claude is hilarious as is the basic premise and execution. The crazy outfits and set design makes it fit nicely into this bizarro video game world of the 90s. While it's not exactly a good movie, it never tried to be.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A very cheesey action film based on the Street Fighter 2 game. Totally over the top, close to being a comedy, one for fans of the game. Just a pity that such a massive global cult game only has this as a live action movie offering. Very disappointed at the lack of fighting in this. Only the last 20 mins make up for the rest of the film.
Aaron N

April 1, 2007
Colonel William F. Guile: Troopers, I just received new orders. Our superiors say the war is canceled. We can all go home. Bison is getting paid off for his crimes, and our friends who have died here will have died for nothing. But, we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideals like peace, freedom, and justice, they get packed up. But, we can all go home. Well, I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up river, and I'm going to kick that son of a bitch Bison's ass so hard that the next Bison wannabe is gonna feel it! Now, who wants to go home... and who wants to go with me?

The only representation of what a live action street fighter movie consists of, and the only one that should ever be made.

Bison: You have made me a very happy man.
Colonel William F. Guile: And next, I'll make you a dead one.

This is everything that one would want out of this kind of movie. Nearing the top of the list of video game movies, certainly one of the best or at least most fun to watch. Also one of Van Damme's finest movies, which is saying a lot...or is it...no, sadly.

Colonel William F. Guile: It's the Collection Agency, Bison. Your ass is six months over due, and it's mine.

Some movies are just too good sometimes. This is one of them. The passion that goes into JCVD's acting choices here, along with the scene chewery of the late Raul Julia, and the wonderfulness that is the random reaction shots throughout. This is film making at its finest.

Chun Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away. A hero at a thousand paces!
Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it.
Chun Li: You don't remember?
Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.
Lewis C

February 10, 2009
Video game movies are still more often disappointments than successes, but at least we've moved on from the era of crud like Street Fighter. Movies like this were made in such a way that they didn't appeal to the fans of the games or the casual movie audience.

My primary complaint is the laughable casting. It's like the makers of the movie knew absolutely nothing about the games except for the sex, names, and races of the various characters. They make a huge effort to work the names of every character into the movie, just so the audience will (presumably) think it's cool to see their favorites on the big screen. But, Van Damme as an American soldier? Kylie Minogue as Cammy?

Oh, and let's briefly mention the story. Balrog is a cameraman and Ryu and Ken (with brown hair!!) are some type of lovable con-men? Shadaloo City? Ugh. Actual street fighting wouldn't give me enough brain damage to want to ever see this again.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 24, 2008
Ok, it makes sense now why all videogame movies suck so much. Hollywood is secretely trying to ruin the vg industry by making people not care at all about games, thinking they are as shitty as the movies based on them. And Uwe Boll is their best secret agent on service.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

June 1, 2008
Raul Julia's last film role...and goes out with a bang quite literally, as everything the classic arcade game stood for is shoved up the franchise's ass and turned Hollywood. Let me explain something...it's a video game about fighting. That's it. People beat the hell out of each other and face Bison at the end. Forget about adding a plot to it beyond what each individual character's basic story is. It's about a martial arts tournament. Mr. Julia...the extra full star I added is for a wonderful performance in an otherwise extremely lackluster film.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 1, 2008
Almost made me not want to play Street Fighter II Turbo, thankfully I shat on the movie before it was too late.
deano
deano

December 3, 2006
This entertaining action-fu adventure, based on the popular video game, is wired for grins as well as drop-kicks and shoot-outs. Jean-Claude Van Damme is a perfect choice as Guile, a cynical Allied Nation commando leader and for Raul Julia (his latest motion picture before his death) as his arch-enemy, Bison.
Gx7
Gx7

October 30, 2007
Oh the memories!! XD!!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 12, 2007
Okay if you're a 12 yearold and love video games and don't care much about a decent story line.
skactopus
skactopus

March 18, 2007
They tried too hard with this movie and there was too much characters to handle.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
i tried to like it, i really did
Jason S

December 27, 2006
yikes.
garyX
garyX

December 27, 2006
A bunch of third rate straight to video action "stars" in stupid costumes hitting each other. The acting and script were better in the videogame...absolute pish.