Mad Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Love Reviews

deano
½ February 3, 2007
Great title, but a pathetic tale of a high school senior drawn like a moth to a flame to manic-depressive Drew Barrymore, whose performance is little more than an annoying twitch.
½ June 26, 2008
dull and pointless
iLeo
½ November 30, 2007
As I watched it the first time, I was ecstatic. As I continue to watch it now and then, I am still captivated enough. Great music, especially with "the waterskiing" scene using Nirvana's Love Buzz". Fantastic song!!
February 16, 2010
I enjoyed the Seattle setting, but I wish they would have polished the soundtrack a little to include more regional artists. It could have been a lot better. The story wasn't anything special, but it was watchable. (First and only viewing - 7/12/2015)
January 14, 2013
One of Drew Barrymore's star vehicles most of her fans will remember least (and for GOOD reason); anyone who did see this one back in the day may consider it the worst addition to the resume of both leads. As the dreary story of a studious high school student leaving everything he has worked for to run away with an attractive yet extremely annoying young woman is told in a fashion most will find completely off-putting, a waste of time is inevitable.
This standoffish story begins by introducing hunky Chris O'Donnell as a hard-working high school student with plenty of baggage, helping to raise his younger siblings along with his single father. He thinks (surprisingly) that he has met the woman of his dreams when Barrymore moves in nearby and he sees her occasionally at school. The affection he feels towards her clearly must be prevalent as she soon gets thrown into an insane asylum for her unacceptable behavior! Talk about a catch, huh? He then realizes his mission is to help her escape from the joint, go on a cross-country road trip and figure things out from there. Who cares if he has to leave his family, friends and promising future behind!
The appealing leads are wasted here in addition to the attractive rural filming locations. Barrymore may have been cast due to her rebellious reputation at the time or may have just been trying to keep her name in Hollywood. Yet, she and O'Donnell both would have been wise to avoid this project completely. Anyone looking for an appealing romantic comedy to watch on a Saturday night...this sure isn't it! Movie trivia buffs take note, O'Donnell and Barrymore also can be seen in Batman Forever, released the same year and Barrymore and Matthew Lillard (O'Donnell's friend) both starred in Scream the following year.
September 28, 2011
Casey Roberts:This is forever isn't?
Spoiler alert!
This movie is about a young woman who has a mental illness and falls in love with a guy that goes to her school. What I liked most about this movie was that it shows what real love is. Real love is sometimes letting someone go so that he/she may get the help they need. That is what Chris O'Donnell does in this movie. He lets Casey go so she can get better. It was probably hard for him but he loves her so much that he does it. I also liked the soundtrack in this movie-good music.
June 2, 2010
As a person living with a mental illness, I would like to recommend the movie "Mad Love". In this film, the illness of Bi-polar disorder touches the lives of many people through the actions of Drew Barrymore's character. It gives us a look into the risky, sometimes dangerous behaviors that can result from an untreated mental illness such as Bi-polar disorder, but also shows that the illness is treatable. The movie keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering what might happen next. Drew Barrymore gives a very good portrayal of a person struggling with the erratic highs and lows that accompany this psychiatric illness. As is often the case, the family did not know how to deal with it. Their response was to send her to a boarding school rather than to have her seen by a professional who may have been able to help her manage her symptoms. Chris O'Donnell, who plays her love interest, did not seem to view her behaviors as a serious problem at first. In fact, he seemed to fall for the risk and spontaneity that came with her manic episodes. Through her dangerous crisis' she came to a realization that she needed help from the people she feared the most. Although it took a number of dangerous and illegal occurrences to take place along the way, eventually her closest friend and her family were able to assist her with getting the voluntary treatment that could potentially turn her life around.
In conclusion, this movie illustrates that there is life for someone with Bi-polar disorder. While the symptoms can come across as scary or dangerous, it is a very treatable illness if the person who has it recognizes the need for treatment. For those who have not diagnosed their erratic moods and behaviors as symptoms of Bi-polar disorder, there is good help awaiting them that can bring joy and stability back into their lives.
½ October 28, 2009
Mad Love was okay but still it was not really entertaining. A lot of people hated this movie like they gave it one star but it was not that bad in my opinion, it was not great, it was okay but still fine.

The plot made me think that his was more of an action/adventure movie, not a drama/romance. It was very drama.

But the most dramatic thing in this movie was Drew Barrymore's performance. It was good but it was kind of over the top. Her character was in a mental institution so I kind of did expect her to be dramatic.

This movie is okay. Maybe you should give it a shot.

5 STARS!!!
August 28, 2009
I really have to see this again, but I know that it was a very good movie about a bipoler woman who just wanted to be free. Or at least that was my take on it.
July 5, 2009
I'll admit my bias before I begin. I love Drew Barrymore and probably always will. This movie came out when I was still young but going through one of those "finding my identity" phases. It was a romantic story of heartbreak and psychosis that really started my interest into psychology. It will blow your mind on the infantilness of the adolecsent mind, and this movie does nail the emotion of a hurt soul.
February 3, 2009
When i 1st saw this movie it was like .. it hit very close to home! LOVE this movie, and still belive it to be one of my favorite ones
January 24, 2009
this is about how mentally ill people can never have a normal existence or loving relationship cause they will freak out on vacation. i liked it.
November 23, 2008
I did not like this one, and when I saw it, I had a mad crush on Chris O'Donnell and would love anything he was in. I think Drew really screwed this one up.
½ May 22, 2008
that was one of the best movies i have ever seen in my life. it is kinda sad but not to bad at all. but a very good movie
½ September 16, 2007
The title for this should be, "Naive Teen Boy Thinks He Loves Kooky Girl From Across the Lake". They should have made a sequel to see if good boy Chris O'Donnell would really have the patience to love suicidal nut case Drew Barrymore. I smell a sitcom!
February 16, 2010
½ April 24, 2015
Barrymore's needy vulnerability is sad and that air raps like a noose around this movie's neck.
May 23, 2013
The same plot of this was used in the movie "Crazy/Beautiful" (2001)
November 17, 2013
Slow, but not horrible
June 4, 2013
just not mad enough, needs to get messier.