64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Mad Love Reviews

deano
deano

February 3, 2007
Great title, but a pathetic tale of a high school senior drawn like a moth to a flame to manic-depressive Drew Barrymore, whose performance is little more than an annoying twitch.
Lee K

June 26, 2008
dull and pointless
iLeo
iLeo

November 30, 2007
As I watched it the first time, I was ecstatic. As I continue to watch it now and then, I am still captivated enough. Great music, especially with "the waterskiing" scene using Nirvana's Love Buzz". Fantastic song!!
January 14, 2013
One of Drew Barrymore's star vehicles most of her fans will remember least (and for GOOD reason); anyone who did see this one back in the day may consider it the worst addition to the resume of both leads. As the dreary story of a studious high school student leaving everything he has worked for to run away with an attractive yet extremely annoying young woman is told in a fashion most will find completely off-putting, a waste of time is inevitable.
This standoffish story begins by introducing hunky Chris O'Donnell as a hard-working high school student with plenty of baggage, helping to raise his younger siblings along with his single father. He thinks (surprisingly) that he has met the woman of his dreams when Barrymore moves in nearby and he sees her occasionally at school. The affection he feels towards her clearly must be prevalent as she soon gets thrown into an insane asylum for her unacceptable behavior! Talk about a catch, huh? He then realizes his mission is to help her escape from the joint, go on a cross-country road trip and figure things out from there. Who cares if he has to leave his family, friends and promising future behind!
The appealing leads are wasted here in addition to the attractive rural filming locations. Barrymore may have been cast due to her rebellious reputation at the time or may have just been trying to keep her name in Hollywood. Yet, she and O'Donnell both would have been wise to avoid this project completely. Anyone looking for an appealing romantic comedy to watch on a Saturday night...this sure isn't it! Movie trivia buffs take note, O'Donnell and Barrymore also can be seen in Batman Forever, released the same year and Barrymore and Matthew Lillard (O'Donnell's friend) both starred in Scream the following year.
muveeKween
September 28, 2011
Casey Roberts:This is forever isn't?
Spoiler alert!
This movie is about a young woman who has a mental illness and falls in love with a guy that goes to her school. What I liked most about this movie was that it shows what real love is. Real love is sometimes letting someone go so that he/she may get the help they need. That is what Chris O'Donnell does in this movie. He lets Casey go so she can get better. It was probably hard for him but he loves her so much that he does it. I also liked the soundtrack in this movie-good music.
carebear1979to2008
August 28, 2009
I really have to see this again, but I know that it was a very good movie about a bipoler woman who just wanted to be free. Or at least that was my take on it.
June 10, 2009
found this during my "i love chris o'donnell" phase. i think it's a decent love story, and i really like drew barrymore's work in this one.
lostnhillsboro
February 3, 2009
When i 1st saw this movie it was like .. it hit very close to home! LOVE this movie, and still belive it to be one of my favorite ones
PillowPantss
January 24, 2009
this is about how mentally ill people can never have a normal existence or loving relationship cause they will freak out on vacation. i liked it.
catgeak9
May 22, 2008
that was one of the best movies i have ever seen in my life. it is kinda sad but not to bad at all. but a very good movie
June 10, 2007
A not too bad of a film about teenage love. Drew Barrymore as a mentally ill girl who falls for a guy whom both run off, but he realises she needs help. An interesting film with a great story.
caseyaxis
March 19, 2007
I used to like this movie and i hadent seen it for a long time and saw it again and now its kinda dumb
superwoman4u
February 25, 2007
This is one of my favorite movies. The love in it, and the pain in here. I know what depression is like her. I have been dealing with it since I was 12.
preciousangelbaby82
January 25, 2007
first movie i ever saw with drew other than e.t. and she became my idol! got my hair cut just like her...... she's so pretty!
lgreen1
This is an exact movie of my love life. The only difference is that nobody knew I was crazy but Matt.
September 14, 2012
~ Due to my own youthful rebellion, I connected with this film after my first viewing it. Bought & still watching today, as I continue to deal with my own battle of depression, Drew Barrymore's character 'Casey Roberts' acts so closely to that which I experience, at times, giving me the ability to watch & relate to another. And as a true actress, I believe that is exactly what Drew set out to do by taking this role. Thank you, Drew Barrymore!
July 13, 2012
Extra points for featuring 7 year Bitch
Sid S.
September 7, 2011
"They tried. But they just could not." Or was it? "I tried but it just was not."
May 17, 2011
Boring, meandering, senseless.
PAMA
June 2, 2010
As a person living with a mental illness, I would like to recommend the movie "Mad Love". In this film, the illness of Bi-polar disorder touches the lives of many people through the actions of Drew Barrymore's character. It gives us a look into the risky, sometimes dangerous behaviors that can result from an untreated mental illness such as Bi-polar disorder, but also shows that the illness is treatable. The movie keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering what might happen next. Drew Barrymore gives a very good portrayal of a person struggling with the erratic highs and lows that accompany this psychiatric illness. As is often the case, the family did not know how to deal with it. Their response was to send her to a boarding school rather than to have her seen by a professional who may have been able to help her manage her symptoms. Chris O'Donnell, who plays her love interest, did not seem to view her behaviors as a serious problem at first. In fact, he seemed to fall for the risk and spontaneity that came with her manic episodes. Through her dangerous crisis' she came to a realization that she needed help from the people she feared the most. Although it took a number of dangerous and illegal occurrences to take place along the way, eventually her closest friend and her family were able to assist her with getting the voluntary treatment that could potentially turn her life around.
In conclusion, this movie illustrates that there is life for someone with Bi-polar disorder. While the symptoms can come across as scary or dangerous, it is a very treatable illness if the person who has it recognizes the need for treatment. For those who have not diagnosed their erratic moods and behaviors as symptoms of Bi-polar disorder, there is good help awaiting them that can bring joy and stability back into their lives.