Bad Boys Reviews

½ July 29, 2010
Straight up action films that include a bit of comedy and a lot of chemistry between its leads, are intensely enjoyable. There's almost a strange catharsis when the car explodes, or some angry police chief swears up a storm. It's a little formulaic, but we've all seen it enough that we can sit down and simply enjoy. For some reason "Bad Boys" commits faux pas left and right, making it impossible to enjoy. The action is still pretty riveting, since Bay at least understands the dynamics behind explosion equals boom, but the comedy is lacking. Instead of showing us who the characters are, we get thrown tons of exposition about our lead character's back stories. Besides that they are defined by a simple characteristic each: Burnett is a family man, and Lowrey is a playboy with a lot of cash. Behind that neither is interesting in any way. Without knowing the characters, the comedy falls flat, and most of what they say is either more boring exposition, or a long string of expletives. I believe Lawrence was supposed to be the comic relief and Smith was supposed to be the muscle, but they don't work well together, and they're not given much help from Bay's hapless direction.
July 24, 2013
Will Smith and Martin Lawrence partner up and it's hysterical as it is action-oriented. Michael Bay's Bad Boys is directed in a somewhat-decent way that is also well-scripted in thanks to Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson. 4/5
February 14, 2013
Marcus Burnett: Next time, learn to work the safety with your punk-ass.

"Whatcha gonna do?"

I'm not going to sit here and bash Michael Bay or anything like that because he's making movies the way he sets out to make them. It's not like he goes into these projects expecting to walk away with Oscar nominations and shit. He's just making high action, big effect type movies. Some people love em, some people hate em. That's exactly how it is with Bad Boys. There's a lot of people who love it and a lot of people who hate it. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say I completely hated it, but I will go as far as to say I thought it was bad and I didn't like it.

When $100 million worth of heroin is stolen from the Miami police department, two narcotic detectives are put on the case. Soon a murder occurs that is linked to the case and one witness survives, so they also have to protect her. That's basically the plot with a bunch of mumbling and bullshit thrown into it. For what reason, this movie runs on two hours, I have no idea. It seems to me like more than half of this movie should have been cut. I know that doesn't leave you with a feature length, so maybe adding some scenes that would make sense and add to the story would work. Oh, but that's not what Michael Bay is all about.

The movie is a lot of noise, a lot of gunfights, a lot of chases, and big body count. Now I'm not knocking it for that, but come on can throw in some sort of substance to go along with your big action scenes for gods-sake. The movie is a complete and utter mess, with cops that don't know what the fuck they are doing, and Martin Lawrence doing his whole schtick, and a plot that doesn't seem to have any direction in the middle.

So I didn't like the movie, but for it definitely has an audience. A lot of people love these mindless action movies and sometimes I do to. This just isn't one of those times. For how bad it is, it still manages to move fast and is sort of entertaining if only because of just how dumb it is. It's worth a look if you love explosions and worthy of a pass if you care about things like plot, characters, dialogue; you know, the stuff that actually makes movies good.
½ July 25, 2011
Michael Bay's first feature film. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have a great chemistry together. The plot is basically Lethal Weapons with a hardcore comedy style. It's nothing special, but the action and comedy keep things going.
½ March 24, 2007
This film was originally called Bulletproof Hearts, and was supposed to star Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz if you can believe it. But when Dana Carvey experienced Don Simpsons' insane drug habit first hand he pulled out of the project.

Then Michael Bay was attached and with more or less the same script, he turned it into this with Smith and Lawrence improving a majority of their lines.

So how is the movie? It's a mess, and action packed mess, but still a mess. If you haven't seen Bad Boys, I'd maybe check it out, but Bad Boys 2 is FAR superior.
October 20, 2006
Bad Boys is a screamer of an action flick, Michael Bay's first and best film. It's classic Bruckheimer, and thanks to the one two punch team of superstars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, it's one of my favourite buddy cop movies.
Smith was still riding the popularity of his good boy Fresh Prince image by 1995, the year of this release. He wasn't yet a certified box office draw, as Independence Day was a year away. Lawrence had notoriety as a foul-mouthed comedian, and his career was just about to burst wide open as well. So the timing of Bad Boys was perfect. It solidified both these actors as movie stars who could draw an audience.
Then comes Michael Bay, a young, determined, and ambitious music video director who had already developed a style all his own. Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer's success seemed like they were the go to guys for action pictures. Hiring these three young talents was a great decision, as the film has the top three strengths going for it: great writing, great directing, and great acting. Bad Boys is total fun from beginning to end, and a stepping stone for three big Hollywood names who would go on to make some mad money.
½ August 24, 2011
Semi decent action film and director Michael Bay's big break in cinema. The film is quite entertaining, but is limited to a wooden script and the film tends to have so much going on all at once. Still it does manage to be fun, but its uneven ride as we follow these two bad assed cops around tracking down a drug smuggler. Bad Boys is a cool little flick, but it could have been much better than it is. I wouldn't qualify this film as Michael Bay's best, but it's not that bad altogether. The film is memorable and quotable as well. But it never ends up being anything really good. The film is borderline decent, and has some good action sequences. But like I said, it could have been done so much better. Remarkably there's a good cast in this film and without the talent involved, Bad Boys would've sucked, and it almost does. But the actors pull through and make the film watchable. The film is good entertainment, but it feels somewhat sloppy at the same time. Michael Bay was never a good director, and Bad Boys is just a decent action film that delivers somewhat, but also falls flat in many regards. As a buddy-cop action film, I can honestly say that Bad Boys is a forgettable film as a whole despite the fact that it has memorable moments. The film still isn't impressive enough to be considered great or good for that matter. This is a semi decent held together by a good cast.
January 6, 2010
Quite frankly, I'm sick of people endlessly bashing Michael Bay and his movies. His debut here is great for what it wants to be and brings back what was becoming an extinct genre in movies. This takes the buddy cop style and retrofits it with a highly stylized Miami backdrop, never-ending action and great characters. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence work extremely well together and have a great routine of ridiculous arguments and fighting. I like that this already has an established friendship, rather than another unlikely duo scenario. Tea Leoni also happened to be great eye candy and created some really great moments. The plot here is great for what is necessary; an evil French mastermind trying to pull a fast one on Miami PD. When it comes to beautiful looking movies, you definitely can't even attempt to criticize Michael Bay. His talent in that area is obviously. Also, no one knows how to blow things up and cause mayhem and destruction like the mad scientist he is. While he might make movies that critics hate and oversimplify, I think it's obvious that he's a very talented director that knows exactly what he wants to do. Bad Boys delivers on every level for a buddy cop movie. It knows how to be genuinely funny, serious and action packed. I realize that there are those who just have an instantaneous hate for all things Michael Bay, but it?M)s really no excuse to make Bad Boys out to be anything other than a great Buddy Cop action extravaganza. It's really fun to watch this every few years and remember what makes it so much fun.
½ March 1, 2011
Low rent action and decent enough plot makes this flop film
July 28, 2006
Whilst Bad Boys is a 90?s film it very much echoes the style of the Action films of the 80?s, with it?s explosions, gun fights etc, in fact very much like the Lethal Weapon style of films.

Easy watching, not exactly gripping Action, but likeable.
July 21, 2010
March 13, 2010
Whatcha gonna do when jews come for you? Bad Boys
June 24, 2006
Totally black and loved it!
January 10, 2010
This movie was good... but it does have it's boring parts, and for that I loses my attention every now and then! But it is still worth watching!
September 4, 2007
i love these movies this one compared to the first one is so much better but it does rock!
Great cast, great soundtrack and awesome storyline with explosive sequences that just rock!
Smith Leoni, and Lawrence are brilliant!
Really worth a watch!
October 11, 2007
To be honest, this is a pretty good action buddy flick, much better than most, not as good as 'Beverly Hills Cop' 'Lethal Weapon' etc... but the last good one probably. Smith is pretty cool here with nice lines, but Lawrence is still rather lame and totally not cool haha this being a Bay movie, its looks lovely and the stunts and gun fights are brutal, the next best thing here being the women on offer, yummy, Tea Leoni looks sultry and gorgeous with her dark locks. The movie is amusing and the villains work well, all in all its a good glossy package, if it had been made during the 80's it would have been a classic.
January 31, 2009
Will Smith and Martin Lawerence are both great in this. There chemistry as partners it perfect and very comical to watch through out the entire film. Lisa Boyle plays an alright role as well...

The really only suffering from the film is the fact that's a typical 90's film and it's not very hard to predict the happy ending. The film itself you'll find scenes that are dark and to hard too see and it's really just a typical action flick. There's honestly no real "Wow" factor to the plot or anything like so....

Overall: Why I think because there is no magic plot and it follows every typical action flick, it still is a four star moving, which tells you how well I enjoyed Will Smith and Martin Lawerences every scene. Great movie! Crazy action! Predictable but well worth the watch.

*PS: Im super hungover while writing this review so it may not turn out worded so great...but try to understand.. :-/
July 7, 2007
Excellent action movie about two cops in Miami looking for thieves who have stolen drugs from the police station. Why do they always make the girl really pathetic, who does silly stuff and needs to be rescued? Love the car chase.
½ January 9, 2007
incredible start, stay away from the sequel