Georgia Reviews

½ July 2, 2008
Great performance by Jennifer Jason Leigh makes this well worth your time.
December 12, 2007
a great film.
½ October 7, 2007
Not alot of people have heard of this one either. I caught it just a few years ago on Shotime, or one of those movie channels. The two women in the picture are sisters; 'Georgia' is the one on the right. The one on the left is 'Sadie Flood'. Sadie is big on alcohol, she sings, and she's really cool. Her sister Georgia is more conservative, she sings more like country type music. Sadie ends up with a local band that mostly play Velvet Underground covers at mostly bars, Bar Mitzvahs, and birthday partys. Sadie wants so much to connect with her sister, but her sister is really turned off by Sadie's lifestyle.
"Everything's 'jake', Jake!" "No one sings that song better than my sister... Who? Thank you, Comrade."
½ May 3, 2006
One of the great female performances ever committed to screen is here with Jennifer Jason Leigh, my favorite actress.
½ September 15, 2015
In the same vein as The Rose, Georgia is a great rock star movie with a wonderful performance from Jennifer Jason Leigh. She is so raw in this movie when it comes to not only her musical performances but her emotional roller coster as well. Mare Winningham is also great in her Oscar nominated performance. Great screenplay an awesome soundtrack
½ May 13, 2015
An intense study of sibling rivalry set in the Seattle music world, Georgia excels at the expression of painfully unresolvable family conflicts.
December 12, 2014
Jennifer Jason Leigh sings the Velvet Underground and Elvis Costello and looks like a marvellous train wreck throughout "Georgia's" runtime as she also battles addiction and family woes.
½ September 25, 2014
great movie, check it out
August 4, 2012
This is a wonderful and overlooked movie. Great performances and great music.
November 29, 2011
I really enjoy Jennifer Jason Leigh performance here, except her singing voice.
½ April 19, 2010
(from The Watermark 02/17/96)
Please get Georgia off my mind. In this plotless waste of film, Leigh is an unsuccessful alcoholic rock singer, living in the shadow of her famous and ultra-proper sister (Winningham). Leigh is good, but not great, mostly because her character is tailor-written to accommodate her limited acting abilities. (She and the screenwriter co-produced the project.) Oscar-nominated Winningham is believable both as Leigh's sister and as a successful recording star; her singing is great. But the bottom line is that a character study needs some sort of plot in which to study the characters. After two hours, you're exactly where you've started and you wonder why. Queer Quotient: Leigh is awfully friendly with a lesbian band at one point in the film. By the finale, I wondered if she was going to join them. Her hair is all buzzed off, and she looks more androgynous than Michael Jackson.