Black Sheep (1996)
Average Rating: 3.6/10
Reviews Counted: 32
Fresh: 9 | Rotten: 23
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.3/10
Critic Reviews: 6
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.2/5
User Ratings: 125,060
Handsome, smooth-talking Al Donnelly (Tim Matheson) has everything going for him. A politician, he is engaged in a heated gubernatorial race with the feisty Governor Tracy (Christine Ebersole), a tough old bird who doesn't hesitate to play hardball with opponents. Unfortunately for her, things are looking good for Donnelly. Fortunately she finds his Achilles' heel with his young brother Mike Donnelly (Saturday Night Live alumnus Chris Farley), a fat slob gym teacher and hopeless imbecile who
Feb 2, 1996 Wide
Jul 16, 2002
Paramount Home Video
Toby Scott Ganger
Jean Speegle Howard
Woman at Party
Michael Patrick Cart...
David St. James
James Everett Lewis
Matt David Lukin
Daniel Joe Peters
Pocket Pool Lady
Steve Neil Turner
Latest News on Black Sheep
November 16, 2005:Trailer Bulletin: The Kid & I
Although "The Kid & I" is only opening in "select markets" on December 2nd,...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
A little comedy that succeeds in its modest aim to provide 87 minutes of harmless diversion.
Works as well as it does because the anarchic, high-energy spirits of Farley and Spheeris lock into each other perfectly.
Yeah, I giggled a couple of times. But I suspect you will giggle more if you are male, age 15-27ish.
Black Sheep is bleatingly awful as it reteams Chris Farley and David Spade, the poor idiot's Abbott and Costello, in a comedy so desperately inept it makes their previous effort, Tommy Boy, look like a minefield of high wit.
They're certainly no Aykroyd and Belushi, or even Myers and Carvey, but Farley and Spade manage to wring humor from a series of juvenile setups and predictable pratfalls.
may not be remembered as a masterful comedy classic, but for the college humor crowd with a relatively safe PG-13 rating, it's a fun diversion
It's nice to see the two together, practicing their easy screen rapport--and no doubt more so given Farley's untimely passing--but Black Sheep is still a clunker. [Blu-ray]
Though not always in good taste, this tongue-in-cheek parody of the horror genre is sophisticated and clever enough to earn the appreciation of the egghead cult crowd.
the most charming of Farley's screen efforts, but it's too bad he wasn't around long enough to make anyting better
Exactly what you expect
A transcendent comedy starring one of the top - but most tragically fated - comedy teams of all time.
Makes "Tommy Boy" look like A-grade material
Imagine "Tommy Boy" without all the rapier wit and genius filmmaking technique. I counted one sincere laugh in the full 90 minutes.
The movie itself succeeds in setting up situations ready for yucks; the movie's key problem is its intended humor fails to register on the audience's yucks ballot.
Spade plays the straight man, Farley plays the dufus, physical stunts abound and there isn't one shred of slightly intellectual wit.
Black Sheep is an appropriately titled misfire, a des-perate slapstick comedy that falls flat at nearly every turn.
Audience Reviews for Black Sheep
Movies Like Black Sheep
- Mike Donnelly: [after he and Steve narrowly escape Drake's minefield front yard] This guy's got a hell of a security system! [upon seeing the inside of Drake's camper] Ready to start filming, Mr. Stone.
- Mike Donnelly: [after driving over a bump in the road] What the hell was that?!
- Steve Dodds: A chunk in the road or something.
- Mike Donnelly: I just chunked in my pants.
- Governor Tracy: [annoyed] Neuschwander, are you finished stirring that drink or is this some kind of fucking science experiment?
- Mike Donnelly: [dressed as security guard, talking to a troublemaker] Please move away from this vector and get into another coordinate pronto. There's no access for you in this quadrant.
- Tough Kid: Man, why don't you goose-step on down to the women and children over there and give them your little power trip, because they may be impressed by it, asshole!
- Mike Donnelly: Young man, I'm gonna twist off your head and spike it onto the floors of a nightmare you can't even imagine! I will dance with you inside the six-sided ring of fire, unless you move from this area, far and fast! NOW! [steam comes from his ears]
- Tough Kid: [stunned] Wow. [he leaves]
- Mike Donnelly: [after seeing Steve's porn stash] Oh, that's sad.
- Mike Donnelly: HELLO WASHINGTON! [swings and dives into a lake]
Discuss Black Sheep on our Movie forum!