Screamers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Screamers Reviews

garyX
½ May 23, 2007
A collection of soldiers and refugees from a civil war on an abandoned colony planet are hunted by an army of self replicating killing machines that have evolved from their own mechanical booby traps. Screamers actually starts with a lot of promise as the usual sci-fi cliches are tempered with some interesting politics and an underlying message about the dangers of meaningless cold wars and the ultimate price to pay for the arms races that accompany them. The no-name cast acquit themselves reasonably well and despite the variable quality of some of the effects, it provides some atmospheric and tense scenes as the motley crew of survivors attempt to evade their unseen enemies. Unfortunately the script didn't seem to know where to go from there and it all gets a little twist happy and silly by the end. But the biggest problem with Screamers is it treads the same ground as some of the best sci-fi films of all time; namely Aliens and The Terminator and seriously suffers in comparison, especially considering how low budget and straight to DVD it all feels. It's not terrible though, and a strong performance by Weller and some inventive sequences make it a reasonable way to wile away an hour and a half. If you haven't seen either of the aforementioned classics though, there's really no contest.
March 22, 2008
Great Film and a good performace for Peter Weller.Nice idea for a movie and the soundtrack is fitting.
It's a blast.
deano
March 20, 2007
This sci-fi film is fine, but slow-paced and predictable.
½ October 26, 2007
Well made if somewhat corny sci-fi. Worth a look.
April 20, 2011
Based on a Philip K. Dick short story, Screamers is a visionary science fiction thriller. In this adaptation set in the distant future, a group of abandoned soldiers on a mining planet have to fend off autonomous killing machines called Screamers that have evolved into human form. The film stars Peter Weller, who gives a very strong performance that elevates the material. However, the script is rather weak and relies too much on exposition. Additionally, the special effects are poorly done and distract from the film. Yet, the strength of the material comes through and creates a compelling story with themes of paranoia and military industrialism. Screamers is a flawed film, but the concepts are intriguing and the action's pretty good.
September 3, 2008
Based on a Phillip K. Dick story, this movie delivers, but suffers because of the apparently tight budget. The special effects feel fated when watched today, but they are not too bad. Peter Weller is as usual decent enough in the lead and the rest of the actors left rather much to wish for though. A sappy ending lowers the grade a notch, but this is still worth watching.
½ September 25, 2009
So Distraught in it's own vien attempt of a Thrilling, Out-of-this world Sci-Fi extraveganzsa, that it slightly entertained, and had a plot so loose and disfigured, I felt inclined to ask who ever wrote it, to stiop writing Screenplays.
September 6, 2007
When I first saw this, the main thing I remembered was that there was a cool Mozart song at the start. Yeah, don't ask, I was young. I haven't read the book/story it was based on, but it was really enjoyable. Although it was predictable, I think that was mainly due to my being able to predict pretty much everything in movies, I love science fiction and this is an awesome movie.
½ October 10, 2013
Weller makes this watchable and entertaining for the most part. Some of the performances of others and some of the effects are kind of weak but there is enough decent action and the sound design of the screamers are pretty effective.
November 3, 2012
reasonable low-budget translation of Philip Dick's 'Second Variety'. Atmospheric, if a little clunky in execution.
½ July 9, 2012
This film did not stay too close to the original story Second Variety by Phillip K Dick, but was still a really good film adaptation
June 25, 2012
This is sci-fi at its best. It doesn't take itself too seriously and is most importantly entertaining. You are not going to get a deep plot here. You are however going to get Peter Weller being a total badass and robots with buzz saw extremities. If you are looking for another sci-fi action horror movie, don't pass this up.
½ May 25, 2012
A thin plot, unimpressive special effects, and an overall feeling of inferiority to PKD's short story "Second Variety."
May 14, 2012
By stealing every element of your plot from bigger and/or already well regarded movies you can only lose. O'Bannon's script is too basic to support the inept set dressing, bored performances and rote revelations. Weller seems thoroughly annoyed to be in such rubbish and reluctant in delivering the clunky exposition.

The initial robots seem like a fun and deadly idea but budget quickly limits their use and a generic whose who plot develops (one with many simple answers that are entirely unexplored). If one single element had been done well the movie might have had some merit but every department seemed unenthused by the subject and fails to show anything above competency, and mostly not even close to that.
March 9, 2012
An okay entry in the sci-fi horror genre; unfortunately not executed as well as it could have been, especially considering the source material (original story written by the very talented Philip K Dick).
September 26, 2011
From the beginning I knew that I wasn't going to like this. In fact I hated everything about it at the first death in this film. It has that made for T.V. feel and was painful for me to watch.
½ August 17, 2010
screamers is a film that is a rip off of the terminator franchise, and its not executed very well. most of the movie is just loud and obnoxious and the story line has a lot of holes in it which made it hard to understand. the acting is really bad from everyone and there isn't enough blood to keep me somewhat entertained. it contains every cliche from previous science fiction movies and when the twists and turns finally make sense towards the end, your not taken by surprise.
October 19, 2007
Peter Weller's acting is fairly decent, lifting this average flick out of the morass in which it seems to sink from time to time. It's unfortunate that the short story that Dick wrote has been translated to film so much better with the "Terminator" movies - this also-ran faithfully translates the story, but it's hard to shake the feeling that Schwarzenegger & company did it one better. This is decent, and entertaining, and it's a faithful PK Dick story translation (much like "Impostor" and others), but I suppose it's missing a little bit of something to make it a real classic.
August 4, 2010
No doubt about it this movie is pretty bad. I however do enjoy watching it because even though it is so horrible I can always find time to watch it whenever it is on tv. I would never buy it, but that's beside the point. My suggestion is watch it if it's ever on at 2:30 in the morning and you have nothing else to do and why would you it's 2:30 in the morning.