The Member of the Wedding Reviews

jjnxn
½ September 12, 2012
Some good acting by Ethel Waters in this slice of life and coming of age drama. The usually superior Julie Harris is shrill and annoying trying to be convincing as a 12 year old.
December 17, 2013
The actors make the most of a rather plodding story. It is surprising that this film received all the honours that it did. It was behind its time.
½ November 5, 2011
I loved the scenery and the characters. What I didn't care for though was how much the movie skipped around, especially with the characters of John Henry and of Honey Brown. Frankie arrives at the outside of her home (after briefly running away) and is told from John Henry's bedroom window that she can't see him; that he's too ill. There's no further explanation and in the next scene---his character has been dead for months. In the instance of Honey Brown... Berenice pays a friend of hers to take Honey out of town to avoid legal troubles.. But then later in the movie, again without explanation, is told that he was sentenced to 10 years. Towards the end of the movie, we learn that Frankie will be moving to a new home with her dad and aunt. We're not told where Berenice winds up going. The story line just skipped around a tad too much for me. It's a sweet movie with tender moments and beautiful scenery... It's just one of those story lines that you wish had been written slightly different. ;-)