• Twister

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Twister Reviews

Wildaly M

May 18, 2007
So it's impossible that any of these characters survive any of these close encounters with the twisters. That being said, the plot is ludicrous and dialogue is laughable (how many times can these characters point out the obvious?). If you can suspend reality and survive a crappy plot, then watching these cow-hurling tornadoes should provide with enough mindless entertainment for a couple of hours.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
One of my favourite movies in this genre! Its a suspenful drama! If you enjoy disaster movies and are intrigue with nature and twisters, and with a hint of a blossoming romance then you'll enjoy this movie, very muich worth the watch!!
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
TWISTER surely is not the best disaster film (come on, rarely does one ever get really good), but it does not deserve all the critical hate it gets, as it is quite decent.

If it were just Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton, Cary Elwes, and no cyclones, this would be one hell of a bad film. The acting is terrible, and the three main cast members, who portray "storm-chasers", need to go to acting school.

On the other hand, the disaster SFX that this film generously offers are amazingly realistic and well-accomplished. If it weren't for the poorly-made opening scene, it would be easy to say that the effects were put to a good use at all costs.

But cows? "We have cows!" (?) That is the most ridiculous film quote mankind has ever come access. Especially for a disaster film. And all the urban legends sparked by TWISTER...don't even make me go there.
Eric A

September 27, 2011
Disaster movie made for teens.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 30, 2011
Twister is not a good movie, but if was fun to watch. The plot was really boring and dumb, but so are most summer blockbusters like this. The cast was okay, i had no complaibnts really, but I guess they did okay. The effects were really cheesy and bad, but if some people liked them thats up to them. This movie was fun to watch if your in to these movies, but overall it bored the hell outta me.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 28, 2011
Aside from Speed 2: Cruise Control this is director Jan de Bont's worst film. I've seen a few times when I was younger, and with each viewing I found something that I hated about this film. I thought the story was way too thin for my liking, and the cast was wasted here. Not that it matters, because of these"actors" are terrible anyway. Twister is a special effects extravaganza and uses those special effects to create its story. Unfortunately for this film, the story itself is almost absent. or poorly developed. Twister is a poorly stitched together disaster film, and I'd say its one of the worst that I've seen. The acting is way too over the top, very laughable and you're just hoping that a Tornado will drive right through this mess of a film. The only thing that's fun about this film is the number of goofs. In one scene, you see a chaotic tornado scene, and in the corner you see very well it was filmed on a back lot because you see cars driving along the road as if everything is casual. I hated this film, and I thought it was a pointless film with absolutely no entertainment value whatsoever. The film enters the disaster movie category because it deals with tornados and such. But I'd say it's a disaster movie because nothing works in this horrid picture, and everything about is laughable. Avoid if you're looking for a good disaster film.
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 11, 2011
Melissa: I gotta go Julia, we got cows.

Twister is a mindless yet very exciting and entertaining disaster film. Fans of the genre know this one well and like it. Those who hate the disaster genre hate this movie. So before going in, you should already have a pretty good idea wheather you are going to like it or not. I had a pretty good idea I was going to like it and I got out of it exactly what I expected. The special effects are outstanding and there are a few scenes that absolutely mesmerizing.

As for the acting, it's horrible. No one is good besides Philip Seymour Hoffman, but he's not even that good. I just always enjoy watching Hoffman in anything doing anything. But it really doesn't matter that the acting is bad. The movies called Twister and the tornadoes are awesome. Well worth a watch if you are a fan of disaster movies.

Dusty: Jo, Bill, it's coming! It's headed right for us!
Bill: It's already here!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This movie was huge when it came out, and it's still an exciting movie. The special effects are cool, the actors are good, and it's got the right balance of story and action. This is the best movie about tornadoes I've seen.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Always been fasinated with the weather so this was a good film for me!
Richard C

June 24, 2010
gets boring every now and then, it's okay. C+
KJ P

January 29, 2010
I absolutely get sucked into the vortex of this film every time I watch it! It gives me chills thinking about, what if I was there! This is a fine piece of work!
Conner R

January 11, 2010
A very, very dumb movie that attempted to be very, very smart. The fast dialogue doesn't make a movie intelligent. Sometimes it can reveal it for being what it really is, a movie trying to cash in on natural disasters. The cast is second rate for the most part, especially for the time. I have no idea what Philip Seymour Hoffman was doing here, he should have known better. The effects were terribly and looked obviously computerized, something that an effects thriller should not have. Just all around bad.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Sweet. Let's go try this in real life!!
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
Not enough people die in this film. Hunt and Paxton are in the lead roles, I'm guessing because you don't want good acting to over shadow the expensive special effects, but isn't that overkill?
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I still remember seeing "Twister" in the theatres a few years ago and how amazed I was at the great special effects. A lot of the critics scorn this movie because they say there's not much of a plot to it. Sure, it does have a choppy plot and it cycles between chasing tornadoes and the love affair between Bill and Jo Harding (Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt), but you shouldn't pay much attention to that.
The best thing about "Twister" is definitely the special effects. You'll be amazed when you see how realistic the tornadoes look and some of the effects, such as a live cow flying through the air. Since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated by weather, especially tornadoes. Therefore, "Twister" became one of my favorite movies. This movie revolutionized special effects, and in my opinion, it's not that bad of a movie. I recommend anybody who likes movies with great special effects to get "Twister," it'll blow you away. NOTE: That was my review from the year 2000. Still an all time favorite of this weather freak.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
lacks substance
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 8, 2007
Don't ask me why, but I've always had a real soft spot for these kind of movies. There's just something about the force of nature, and the destruction and mayhem its capable of, that I find wildly fascinating and exciting. Add a really cool story to that, with some great special effects, and it all amounts to being one of my top three favourite disaster flicks. In short, I love it!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

April 17, 2009
I picked up this movie because I thought Suzy Amis was in it, after watching this movie and not being able to find Suzy, because she is in the 1989 movie called twister which is totally different then this movie. Anyway this is the movie that I fell in love with Helen Hunt. I remember when this came out and I saw it on the big screen and the sound it was WOW. And each time I watch it I am amazed that they captured what they did and what one would know to be real if they have gone through a twister. And having been through one or two I can speak with experience. This is a must see movie, Helen you got 5 stars plus from my heart, but the movie Well its 4 stars. Full of action, you will not fall asleep.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 8, 2008
"The Dark Side of Nature."

TV weatherman Bill Harding is trying to get his tornado-hunter wife, Jo, to sign divorce papers so he can marry his girlfriend Melissa. But Mother Nature, in the form of a series of intense storms sweeping across Oklahoma, has other plans. Soon the three have joined the team of stormchasers as they attempt to insert a revolutionary measuring device into the very heart of several extremely violent tornados.

Review
This movie was made at about the time when CGI was still impressive in and of itself in film-making. When Hollywood could shove at us eye popping visuals while ignoring plot, depth and emotion and we'd "ooh and ahhh".

And this shows in Twister.

The movie is rife with sappy clichés, sub-par acting and corny moments. The meat of this film is it's CGI created Tornadoes, which for the most part served their purpose in the context of a film of this nature.

However even a layman couldn't ignore the ridiculous moments regarding the behavior of the Tornadoes in this film. For example at one point the first tornado the storm chasers encounter gets close enough to them to suck their truck up in the air and the boards above the flimsy shelter they're hiding under, but leaves them miraculously unharmed. Several times tornadoes in the film dissipate at all too convenient moments including the last one, a monster of a tornado that they actually get stuck inside, but survive somehow strapped to drainage pipes despite the tornado being strong enough to pick up an 18 wheeler, roll a house and make huge tractors fly.

Yet for some reason this film is highly watchable. Twister achieved what it set out to achieve. It's mindless entertainment but it is indeed entertaining.

It's almost like the really embarrassing moments of this film and there are plenty of those, make the film fun to watch. There's something innocent about this film that excuses all the bad aspects of it.

Twister has been on cable a lot recently. I recommend watching it if you haven't yet. It's not award winning by any means but then again some films that have won academy awards have sucked so I leave it up to you to decide.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

May 28, 2006
It's been a pretty good story about the tornado chaser... The story just simple, a tornado will come and there are some scientist trying to chase that tornado to test the invention that they made before... Even there are pretty many conversation which is pretty confusing, this movie still thrills me... Especially when the main character approximately just few miles away from the tornado, it really thrills... The effects for the twister thing were great I think, it just makes you feel that you're sucked into that twister... But one problems is the twister got ends to quickly... Mostly, the twister ends after the main character got really near to the twister... But after all, it's been a pretty good movie to watch... Another great disaster movie...