Alaska - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alaska Reviews

½ September 8, 2009
I can't believe that "Alaska" isn't getting better reviews than it is. A movie doesn't have to be one of the best ever to be a great movie. I thought it was a good all around movie. Two teens go on a search for their father after his plane crashes and the police show that they're not willing to search for him as much as the kids think they should be. Along the way, the kids run into poachers and they find a friendly polar bear that follows them the rest of the way trying to protect them. They have to find their father and then figure out a way to rescue him.
"Alaska" works well as a good adventure movie and it realistically shows family drama at the beginning of the movie. Surprisingly, parts of it such as when the kids are trying to save their dad, are even exciting. All the way through the movie you'll see spectacular scenery, which goes along great with the plot. Myself, I liked "Alaska" and I don't see why a lot of people don't like it that much, except for maybe that they're expecting too much from the movie. Just don't watch "Alaska" and expect it to be like a movie blockbuster, just watch it like it's a regular Tv movie, and you should like it pretty well. I recommend this movie for anybody. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Can't say I remember much about this movie now, but I'd love to see it again.
½ May 28, 2007
Charlton Heston slums it as a poacher in this wilderness nonsense that sees a pair of american brats climb up and down mountainsides in between bouts of utterly contrived "suspense". They are helped along the way by a friendly polar bear, which are always handy to have around. If they fell in the sea, I presume they'd be saved by a shark who does some volunteer work for the samaritans on the side. Or a box jellyfish with a heart of gold...
October 14, 2007
A sweet survival movie that strengthen a brother and sister's relationship.
February 18, 2006
Gorgeous looking kids film, set in breathtaking scenery.
½ September 14, 2009
Really corny stuff here, poorly acted. One of the few pluses is some great scenery. The writing is ordinary and cliched. It lacks excitement, the humor is strained. Bland.
½ June 7, 2007
not as bad as one would like to think. I remember seeing this one at the drive-in. In fact, if memory recalls, it was the last film shown at the Drive-in.
February 27, 2007
Great adventure movie. Very heartwarming and sweet. I love movies with cute animals in it. The scene where the little polar cub was playing with the rocks, reminded me of my dog when he is playing with his ball. He pounces on it and tosses it up in the air. So cute! Great family movie.
October 31, 2006
Trust the bear. Trust the bear. As long as the bear goes and sees another movie. Cause this one was a waste of time.
½ October 30, 2006
Another "kids ignoring parental advice, doing something stupid on their own, almost getting killed, but in the end it's all okay. Good job kids!"
Sweet. I would watch this again, but I kept thinking to myself, they are stupid, well they sure acted like it once in a while, still it was a good movie.
½ April 27, 2015
Generic TV script but the actors raise this touching,sweet story up.
December 29, 2012
enjoyable family movie about this Alaskan rescue adventure movie plus wonderful footage of the beauty of Alaska
January 29, 2015
Great Movie. Incredible Music. Wish a soundtrack (score) was released along with the film.
½ March 28, 2014
disturbing and OUTRAGEOUSLY DUMB... But somehow it manages to take me on some sort of journey, didn't really gain anything, but I guess It was like a walk in the Alaskan wilderness : Predictable, rugged and uncomfortable.
February 16, 2014
Alaska has always been my favorite movie, lets just say I am an Adventure addict!!!!
½ October 20, 2013
People, whatever is in this movie is not what Alaska's like. When I was six or seven, I remember seeing a documentary at the Orlando Science Center's Cinedome about Alaska's culture and landscape. I was more interested in that movie than I did about two kids and a polar bear cub rescuing their stranded dad up on the mountains. Do yourself a favor and watch a documentary or a video on YouTube about Alaska and avoid this movie! It's false advertising!
½ June 28, 2012
A movie that deserves to be remade. This all-story-no-heart film has a great performance by Thora Birch and equally great setup and ideas that never take off due to undistinguished characters and lack of any real substance that isn't a plot device.
½ July 18, 2012
2 devoted siblings are on a search to find there missing father after a sudden plane crash in alaska, hiking through thick inches of powder snow, and friending a polar bear cub, the mission becomes cold and slippery. Hanging on the edge. literally at times its a great childerns cliff hanger, Adventure packed and coded for the family, Thora Birch is showing a interest in growing up with mature roles.
April 14, 2012
It is somewhat insane and unbelievable but I had loads of fun with Charlton Heston (can you believe that's Moses).
½ March 28, 2012
the bear was the only thing this movie had going for it