14% No Good Deed Sep 12

Freeway Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

November 18, 2008
Vanessa Lutz is a nearly illiterate, poor, and troubled California teenager with a really awful back story which includes all kinds of abuse and criminal behavior. After her mother and stepfather (also very sketchy and tainted) are arrested, she decides to escape the thought of foster home life and strikes out across I-5 to the home of her grandma, whom she hopes will help her get a far better life in this sick, twisted, and really snazzy take on Little Red Riding Hood.

This is one of the more depraved and messed up movies I've ever seen, but it's actually quite enjoyable, done really well, and makes for good watching once you realize that it is clearly a VERY tongue-in-cheek satire. I mean if Siskel and Ebert can give it two thumbs up, then that lets you know right there this movie must be doing something right.

What makes it all work are the performances and the tone. Tone can be a really tough thing to get right, especially when you blend the lurid with a dark sense of humor, but Matthew Bright pulls it off pretty nicely here. The performances are quite over the top, but you can tell the actors are having a lot of fun, and Reese Witherspoon really shines as Vanessa. Kiefer Sutherland is fantastic as the menacing Bob Wolverton, and they are joined by all sorts of notable names such as Brooke Shields, Dan Hedaya, Brittany Murphy, Amanda Plummer, and Conchatta Ferrell among others. These are all wildly colorful and interesting characters, and I just love how the film makes it hard for the audience to choose who to root for at times.

The music is quite twisted and cool, the film definitely has the most unique take on a classic, and it succeeds in getting a point across while pleasing exploitation fans. So, if you have an open-mind and want to see something that is really screwed up but still has merit, then definitely give this a look..
murphmann93
murphmann93

October 24, 2011
It's hard not to love Reese Witherspoon in anything. This film was mad, crazy, over the top and at times quite hilarious. It's a great modern version of 'Little Red Riding Hood' and even though the ending is predictable, you can't help but like it and you end up rooting for little old Vanessa despite her troubled mind. Even more so because a girl with such a tiny frame was beating up men and genuinelly making them terrified of her. Some scenes shock you and most scenes are unpredicable apart from it's ending. It's a weird yet wonderful film.
Cassandra M

December 27, 2009
Based on the classic Grimm Brothers tale, Little Red Riding Hood; Freeway is the disjointed and frankly weird odyssey following a young girl on the way to her grandmother's home. The film begins much like any other hitchhiking film, with a young girl being picked up by a slightly sinister driver. However, you won't be able to predict where it's going to go from there, as Freeway continually puts its characters in absurd situations and delivers the unexpected. The plot doesn't exactly adhere to the story of Little Red Riding Hood, and after the basics have been laid down, it's basically anyone's game right down to the gripping and hilarious climax. The film sees Reese Witherspoon's juvenile delinquent being picked up by Kiefer Sutherland's child psychologist after fleeing from her home when her mother and step father are arrested. After telling the psychologist of her relationship with her step father, she soon realises that he's enjoying what she's saying a little too much; and it's not long before she asks him if he's the infamous I-5 killer, and he doesn't do anything to convince her he's not...

Freeway doesn't introduce any characters that are particularly likable, and all are guilty to a degree. Most audience members will be on the side of Witherspoon's character, as although she certainly has personality problems, she's great fun to watch and her twisted logic isn't usually far from being spot on! Witherspoon got one of her best roles in this film, and really does carry it despite her young age. Kiefer Sutherland stars alongside her, and it's rather odd seeing him in the psycho role after getting so used to him being Jack Bauer in 24. He does do it great, however. Perhaps the best thing about this film is the pitch black humour that goes hand in hand brilliantly with the absurdity of the piece. The plot is really freewheeling, and the film jumps from road thriller to prison drama to the court room in the blink of an eye, and this helps to ensure that the audience is always kept on their toes. This film won't appeal to people that don't like their movies to be pitch black and unpleasant, but anyone who enjoys a good does of absurdity shouldn't hesitate to track this film down!
Nani V

March 9, 2009
I found the movie to be hilarious in so many ways. There were some cheesy parts, but I think that's how they were meant to be...For example, Reese Witherspoon is super tiny, but she was "beating" up these people. Those scenes were also funny to watch. Kiefer Sutherland's character was funny as well. The after effects of what happened to him was pretty damn funny, Reese kept laughing at him in the court room. HAHA!

Reese plays 15 year old Vanessa Glutz, whose mother gets arrested for prostitution and other charges as well as her step father. She decides she wants to go stay with her grandmother in northern California and steals her probation officer's car. It eventually dies on the freeway and Keifer's characther, Bob something stops to help and eventually gives her a ride and that's how it all starts. It also has a young Brittany Murphy and Brooke Shields in here also.
puffchunk
puffchunk

March 1, 2008
Wow. What a messed up movie, but in all the good ways. Sutherland's drool face is priceless, and I actually liked Reese Witherspoon for one of the first times in my life. "Do you want me to shoot you a whole bunch of times?"
Mark H

July 8, 2008
Uncomfortable, funny and dark update of little red riding hood is highlighted by a stellar performance by Reese Witherspoon.
Luke B

August 26, 2006
For a simple TV movie this is very effective and entertaining. A simple update of Red Riding Hood, only making it much more twisted. Kiefer Sutherland is fantastic as the big bad wold/serial killer and Reese is nice and feisty as a bitchy Red. Always seems like a TV movie, but at least it seems like a damn good one.
Alec B

March 9, 2010
A great twist of both the serial killer genre and the tale of little red riding hood. Reese Witherspoon did her best work when she was younger and this film along with Election is a testament to that. Her performance is comedic and terrifying at the same time. You gotta love Kiefer Sutherland in this too who as the villian spends more time getting the shit kicked out of him than actually being terrifying. The film isn't meant to be realistic and don't view it as such, its an over the top exploitation film with just the right amount of satire.
ashley h

August 11, 2008
Ok,this is movis is sort of funny and sort of not, which is what makes it interesting. Its definitely campy and Witherspoon is a little too good at being trailer trash. I can also attest that her accent is accurate, as I hear it on a semi-daily basis. One can understand why she is the way she is, although the story needed some serious polishing and sometimes I felt it was gratuitous for the heck of it. The entire Brittany Murphy character could have been cut out for instance. Its campy and interesting. I would have liked to see it more polished, better dialogue, and a little more concise plot.
William G

January 24, 2007
Seriously screwy, yet constantly compelling.
Stephen E

November 29, 2011
As a work of originality, a satire and a modern retelling of a classic fairytale, "Freeway" can be called a success, but as enjoyable entertainment, it is more or less of a mixed bag. What makes it such a compelling, tasteless experience is its stark depiction of inner-city life; its grim humor that can cause us to either laugh or wince; and the sheer audacity of its creator, Matthew Bright. As well, Reese Witherspoon is exceptional and attention-grabbing in her first lead role and Kiefer Sutherland is rightfully despicable as the Big Bad Bob Wolverton.
Adam M

May 23, 2007
This one takes an old fairytale and shakes it up,fucks it up,eats it then throws the results up right in front of you! The fairytale in question is Little Red Riding Hood. Resse Weatherspoon is the teenage delinquent on the run from a social worker when she accepts a lift from a respected psychologist type(Kiefer Sutherland) who turns out to be a serial killer. After escaping from his clutches after nearly killing him, shes on the run from pretty much everyone. Weatherspoons character is such a mouthy bitch that its hard to like her but then this is the classic faiytale turned totally on his head! I think the point isn't about liking characters and analysing to much but just sitting back and watching. Its pretty brutal at times, with referances to the tale its loosely based on and Sutherland and Weatherspoon throw themselves into their roles which is cool. Not always easy going but worth a watch.
Sean L

September 3, 2009
This is a very clever, and at times, very tense thriller. It also could be seen as a dark comedy, and I think it works on both levels. I really liked the idea behind the movie and the performers were all top notch. 45 minutes into this movie, I had no idea where it was going, and it played out just fine. Kiefer Sutherland is creepy as hell, and he can turn from nice to nasty in a millisecond. This is fine artsploitation.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 16, 2007
Reese Witherspoon stars as a teen off to see her grandma. Her car breaks down and a man offers to give her a ride. He's a sleaze ball disguised as a nice guy and is well played by Kiefer Sutherland. When he shows his true colors, Witherwpoon shoots him more than once.

I should mention that Freeway is a twisted violent "Little Red Riding Hood" type of tale. Sutherland is obviously the Big Bad Wolf. Witherspoon is obviously Little Red but I was more scared of her lol. She has a bad temper and can handle herself fine. So, I never felt as if her life was in danger.

Still, Witherspoon owns the movie. Sutherland was creepy but Reese Witherspoon is what makes the movie worth seeing. She's great as a troubled teen who takes crap from no one after her step-dad abused her. She's also a little nuts. The court scenes are hilarious. I love when she first sees Sutherland's deformed face in court and just cracks up laughing.
Lee K

June 26, 2008
I loved this movie that is kinda a dark comedy if you will with a weird spin on the little red riding hood fable. Both witherspoon and sutherland were superb in this.
DrLappos
DrLappos

May 27, 2007
Genuinly good film
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

May 6, 2007
Confident post-modern (or perhaps I should say post-Tarantino) retelling of the Little Red Riding-Hood fairytale as the perverse relationship between a serial killer and a child prostitute. Yes, the film is as deranged as it sounds, but also much better than you have any reason to expect it to be. Kiefer Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon are terrific in their respective roles, and the film, alternately satiric and hillarifying, is surprisingly empathic as well.
December 2, 2012
Cynicism at its best and worst and it was so twisted that I could barely handle it. Then I could not believe it was Witherspoon with all that foul language coming out of her mouth. The cameos by Shields and Murphy were fun, but this movie can best be defined by the most crazy soundtrack by Elfman. I think I have been scarred by this one. Keifer was a good psycho serial killer.
February 4, 2013
I cannot believe people give this movie a 4 star rating. Horrible. F. Bad everything, especially the ending. Reese Witherspoon has to be embarrassed about doing this.