—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Breakdown Reviews

Conner R

November 19, 2009
A plain old bad movie with a ridiculous plot and no logic. The first thirty minutes was sort've interesting, but after that it just takes a trip to crazy town. It just becomes the most ridiculous plot that has no base in reality. They tried to attempt blending abduction with action and it just didn't work.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
It?s been done before and since. It?s been done better, it?s been done worse. It?s ok.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
"Breakdown" is without a doubt one of the best action movies I've ever seen, and one of the more overlooked. It's about a married couple that get stranded after their car breaks down in the desert. A truck driver (J.T. Walsh), convincingly urges Kurt Russel that he will take his wife to a nearby phone so she can call for help. However, that's when Russel's wife gets kidnapped and this movie really starts to roll. Kurt Russel goes on an action packed adventure to try to find his wife and when he finally finds where she's at, the suspense gets more intense than just about any movie I've ever seen.

I don't see why "Breakdown" wasn't one of the biggest blockbuster hits of the 90's. Kurt Russel puts on one of his best performances ever and J.T. Walsh plays his role as the main villain as close to perfection as any other actor ever has. "Breakdown" has many of the best and most suspenseful action sequences you'll find in any movie. You wouldn't really know that the music stars aren't actors for a living cause they do a great job.

There's not many movies that I'll watch twice within a week, but "Breakdown" was so good I watched it 4 times the first week it premiered on cable. I also told all my friends and family how good it was and that they needed to watch it. I taped it the last time I saw it and it's still on my list of one of the best action movies of all time and it always will be. It is also one movie you will never forget. If you like action movies with great suspense and non-stop action, "Breakdown" is one movie you can't miss.
Red L

May 9, 2009
One of those movies where the world is stacked against you, but you battle against the bad guys if it is the last thing you ever do. The movie keeps you interested til the very end, in fact at the end on the bridge, I was wondering if any one else would come along for Kurt Russell to battle with.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Billy: You the fella looking for his wife?

A damn good thriller that cuts off most of the fat and keeps everything moving. Its well made and stars Kurt Russell, suspend a little disbelief and you can have an exciting time.

Russell plays Jeff, a man taking a cross country road trip with his wife, played by Kathleen Quinlan, who begins the worst day of his life with his car breaking down in a desert area in the southwest. A truck arrives with seemingly good intentions. The driver gives Jeff's wife a ride into town, while Jeff waits for a tow truck.

More problems arise once Jeff manages to start the car, arrive at the place he believes his wife to be, only to not be able to find her. Jeff eventually tracks down the driver and stops him, only to have the driver claim to have never seen him before. A new twist emerges.

Red: You're a tough man to get a hold of, Jeffery.
Jeff: What do you want?
Red: It's not what I want, it's what you want, and how bad you want it. 'Cause it's gonna cost you. Can't show it to you right now, but it's about 5'5", 115 pounds, three or four of that just pure tit. Nice curly brown hair, upstairs and down. Interested?

This movie clocks in at about 90 minutes and doesn't waste much time. We don't have an extended beginning with the couple first starting out, they're already on the road. We don't get drawn out motives of the characters, it is all given in a reasonable manner.

The movie keeps itself fairly low key and only amps up more and more as the film goes on. Kurt Russell playing an everyman is effective enough, even if he has to do some crazy things to try and get his wife back.

Its a fairly simple premise that works due to how competently made it is and its fast pace.

Earl: What a man needs out here is a CB radio.
Jeff Taylor: Is that right?
Earl: 'Course, if you use a CB, you gotta have a handle. I'm thinking for you, "Shit For Brains."
Lady D

September 20, 2006
Not a bad film, although it did feel more like an 80's film than a 90's, with a slight resemblance to 'The Vanishing'

Very predictable, but has a bit of a tense feel to it.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

June 27, 2008
Standard and easy to forget thriller.
Dean !

January 5, 2007
A very good thriller, well acted and with a good story to. Has some great scenes, action and tension all the way. Quite a few well known faces in this surprised it slip me by!
deano
deano

February 20, 2007
This chilling thriller film has laced with the same sense of foreboding and feeling of impending dread as The Vanishing, Deliverance and Duel. It turns a stranded motorist scenario into a seamless blend of panic, anguish, and crackerjack action scenes.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 11, 2007
Very creepy movie about a couple who's car breaks down. She goes missing after she hitches a ride.
skactopus
skactopus

April 6, 2007
Well told story that will keep you wondering what's going to happen next. It is slow paced with not much action at all, but there is a pretty decent car/truck chase at the end. Also, if your a fan of Kathleen Quinlan, you may be disappointed because she is pretty much non-existent in this movie.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
Very convoncing action thriller. Especially the first 30 minutes leave the audience as confused and helpless as the main character, whose wife took a ride with a trucker after their car broke down and disappears. After that the movie keeps the high level of Hitchcock-esque suspense and adds some action, leading into a very exciting showdown.
James A

March 20, 2006
Well russel does have a strong chin.
Dann M

September 13, 2012
Breakdown is an action thriller that runs out of steam pretty fast and is fairly predictable. The story follows the struggle of a man to save his wife, who's been abducted and held for ransom. Kurt Russell leads the cast and gives a strong performance; however the supporting cast doesn't keep up with him. And although the film is full of suspense and thrillers, but the story isn't paced very well and keeps losing momentum. So while Breakdown has some riveting action and a solid story, it's poorly executed and lack originality.
Joey S

February 17, 2013
It's not exceptionally deep or meaningful, but Breakdown has near-constant suspense and a spectacular final sequence, making it a very fun and exciting action thriller.
John B

January 5, 2012
Silly premise sure. This is entertaining for some reason though. Can't quite put my finger on it.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

October 6, 2011
A couple is taking the scenic route in their brand new ride and everything seems to be going perfectly until they almost hit a pick-up truck with a couple of rednecks in it. They decide to take a little break at the next gas station but they meet the same guys again and it doesn't take long before they have an argument with the driver. The couple decides to continue their journey and try to forget about the unfortunate incident but all of a sudden their car breaks down Ieading to the beginning of a series of events in which the wife mysteriously disappears.

Kurt Russell gives a great performance as a frantic husband desperate to find his wife Kathleen Quinlan before the unthinkable happens while J.T. Walsh did a wonderful job as the main bad guy and there is also the 'psycho cowboy' whose answer to everything is extreme violence - I was wishing he would meet a very nasty end. The closing retribution scene is a corker but the whole movie leaves the viewer with a rather unsettled feeling of the evil people lurking in this world. My only complaint here is that Kathleen Quinlan does little but scream and look helpless!

An underrated thriller from the 90's that is really suspenseful with nail-biting suspense from beginning to end.
Stephen E

March 8, 2013
I've always felt that Kurt Russell is a good actor, and "Breakdown" features one of his best performances. The film itself is a little predictable and more could have been done with its concept, and some of it is so implausible that believability just goes right out the window, but in the end, it's great entertainment. When it comes to these kinds of films, that's what matters the most.
Lee K

March 13, 2008
kurt russell is awesome in this yet another my spouse has gone missing pic
March 20, 2014
Not bad. I wish that the writers had kept up the delusion for awhile though. All evidence of Russell's wife's disappearance is gone, and the film starts to take the path of a psychological thriller, implying at times that Russell's character is going crazy. But the film abandons this too quickly, showing just how sinister some of the supporting characters really are. It would've been so much cooler if they had kept that psychological aspect of the film going for awhile. Considering that this film is barely 90 minutes, the writers could've totally done that too.