Trial and Error Reviews

deano
July 4, 2007
Director Jonathan Lynn makes another courtroom delight, following the success of My Cousin Vinny. Michael Richards delivers the expected Dramer-esque slapstick he became famous for on TV's Seinfeld, but then allows his character a more serious and rational side.
movieguru12
May 22, 2009
Very funny. Espicially since Michael Richards was in it.
DrStrangeblog
½ December 14, 2008
Okay comedy with a witty title. Jeff Daniels and Michael Richards make a good mismatched-buddy team, and to his credit after the first 15 minutes Richards manages to inhabit his character without too many reminders of Kramer. Charlize Theron is very winning in an early supporting role as Daniels' love interest. Seems they forgot this was a comedy after an hour, instead adding an ill-advised romance between Richards and Jessica Steen who actually provides a worthy adversary.

Final verdict: with plenty of opportunities for satire or slapstick available, it should have been funnier.
March 4, 2010
½ May 12, 2015
Borrows from My Cousin Vinny,too bad it couldn't borrow the jokes.
½ February 16, 2014
This movie was a fine comedy. I laughed - which is obviously the first sign of a decent comedy - even though the storyline was a bit ridiculous and it could've been funnier. Charlize Theron was, here, a fantastic supporting actress. The only casting downside would be Jeff Daniels. I have to admit that I was disappointed. His acting skills (shown here) were not worthy of this starring role. Or perhaps it is simply the character's fault. I can't figure that out yet.
July 29, 2013
Funny comedy duo of Straight man Jeff Daniels and goofball Michael Richards highlight this story about a swindler who must be defended by an actor pretending to be his lawyer after a bachelor party mishap. Not bad comedy with some predictable results and romantic subplot thrown in for good measure.
½ July 14, 2013
Okay, the movie isn't perfect in many ways, but even when it's called a carbon copy on the director's earlier attempt when it came to the premise of a movie, it still managed to entertain, even when it's been done before.
½ April 21, 2013
A forgottn gem. Michael Richards post Seinfeld projects should have been more like this movie.
July 9, 2011
considering all the talent this project had to offer its a shame nothing really comes together. the main issues are the mismatched pairing of Richards & Daniels which doesn't work. Richards doesn't really offer the humour he does from Seinfeld which is why this film stayed off everyones rader back on its release.
Daniels has proven he is capable of comedy roles but he is unable to inject anything remotely resembling a likable character. Theron is quite good in a thankless role but allows Daniels to share some meaningful screen time with.
I really wanted to like this film but it is poorly directed and the jokes miss more then they hit.
June 1, 2012
Trial and Error was actually alright in the end. The main plot was stupid and the film loses it's focus on it, but the subplots weren't half bad. Also, I enjoyed Jeff Daniels and Michael Richards performances, especially the latter because i saw a part of him stepping outside of the Seinfeld box.

The general direction of the film is weak and the trial that is going on is a rather stupid one with no true resolution at the end, but the dramatic elements of the film are more enjoyable than the comedic ones overall.
June 7, 2012
the biggest flaw of this film is Charlize Theron not getting enough screen time
March 7, 2012
The funniest movie i have seen
½ January 14, 2011
A nice comedy romance movie. If you liked Michael Richards character Kramer on Steinfeld, you will love this movie. It is essentially 2 hours of Kramer. An actor (Richards) ends-up in a legal trial as a lawyer. It is worth watching.
March 4, 2010
65/100. Enjoyable comedy, nicely cast, especially Charlize Theron. The brisk dialogue keeps the movie going at a good pace. I am a bit surprised at the low critic ratings. I realize it's nothing great, but it was funny often enough to hold my interest.
½ December 26, 2009
Trial and Error is a pretty disappointing film that had a lot of potential to be a good film. The film seemed to be cast perfectly and Daniels and Richards provided some very good performances but sadly that was about the only bright spot that this film had to offer.
October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.
March 25, 2005
The error is the movie itself. It was semi-enjoyable but not a classic or even memberable.
½ January 8, 2004
Saw this movie with this guy from Seinfeld. (I never watched that show actually).
This was a harmless comedy that never evokes big laughs and follows an odd fish in the water storyline again.
*yawn.