Bliss

Bliss Reviews

divinetrash
divinetrash

November 4, 2009
I love Sheryl Lee, but I found this film to be dreadful. It's ridiculous, laughable and poorly executed. Everything about it is a joke.
November 9, 2011
This was a weird one to watch, as it takes a bizarro approach to a couple who are unable to connect sexually, essentially asking the husband in a relationship to open himself up to the most invasive forms of therapy, which involves Terence Stamp pleasuring his wife and eventually teaching him how to do this himself.

It all feels a lot like a glorified Cinemax sex thriller, with more love trappings laid over the sex framework to punch it up a bit.

Worth a look for some hot Sheryl Lee action, but not a lot else in my opinion.
June 13, 2007
"Bliss" is fresh in that the actors are unknowns. Canadian movies usually always have that element. Also, the story takes significant risks by discussing sensitive aspects of psychology in looking at the sexually dysfunctional relationship between a newly married couple.

The movie begins with Joseph and Maria heading off to their wedding. Clues are given about how the movie's going to go, which ultimately makes the story compromising and as a result, superficial.

Joseph's best friend Tanner (Casey Seimazako) plays the typical dumb guy, reassuring, best friend: "all women are suicidal from time to time."

Joseph realizes in therapy that his wife Maria fakes orgasms. This of course makes him insecure. When Joseeph, a construction project manager, observes her from a construction site walking into a building where his fellow buddies discovered a "man who sexually pleases 4 to 6 women a day one after another" (word has it he "pleases every one of them."), he obviously goes into a jealous rage.

When he realizes this male sex machine is Dr. Baltazar, a sex therapist, he decides that he loves his wife so much that he confides Dr. Baltazar into "mentoring him" into being some kind of super lover.

Not too convincing right? Maybe so, but there are elements of this movie I like. The visuals are sharp, concise, and fresh. The writing is thought provoking, but, the direction of the acting is horrid. Craig Sheffer, who plays Joseph, is a horrible actor. Despite his manly frame and great looks, he is the most unsexy human being on the planet exhibiting a dry, robotic kind of personality.

His wife, played by Sheryl Lee is a little bit more convincing. Her soliloquy at the group session was fairly believeable.

The main problem I have with this movie is the scientific dryness of how it delves into relationship dynamics. It attempts to pacify the human spirit with cerebral assumptions of how a human mind works.

Although the sensuality is tastefully shown in this movie, the story's attempt at quantifying sexual bliss is to me is perverted (in an sexual sense) and belittling and patronizing to humanity.
December 29, 2006
A Glorious movie about marriage and tantric sex...and this is before I even knew what tantric sex was! I'm still not quite sure about marriage...
June 14, 2006
This movie has some great themes about healing and how to achieve happiness. Terrence Stamp is beyond amazing. He is charming and amazing. The movie does not get alot of points for climaxes
(haha go figure) or good resolution. But it tries the bestit can and does a good job.
August 17, 2013
I think this was one of the most sensitive and accurate movies about what it's like for sexually abused women in a committed relationship. I loved the female perspective