Shall We Dance? (Shall We Dansu?) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shall We Dance? (Shall We Dansu?) Reviews

½ January 1, 2011
I actually like the Richard Gere version better.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ October 8, 2007
Light comedy done the right way.
September 8, 2007
even the occasion odd adult is capable of romance and innocence sometimes, and herein is a tale of one such man...
March 22, 2008
Once again, stick to this Japanese original. It blows the remake away.
iLeo
½ December 25, 2007
Great movie!
FanGirl
½ September 7, 2006
Very pleasant, subtle and warm film. It's one of those movies you don't expect to like but end up loving.

I really love this movie, which made the American version all the more painful to watch.
July 19, 2012
I think this is one of the better films for Japanese society, and American society, to see. Less and less people put value on family, and life shared as a family. This is one movie that shows you the reality of the average family in Japan, a group of people connected by blood, but not by friendship. The value placed on duty rather than love is shown, and the possible consequence of feelings of emptiness and lonliness are apparent in the entire family. I'm happy that the film expressed a happy ending, showcasing a concerned daughter who really wants what any person wants--connection in their family.
January 4, 2010
can't seem to get a liking to the new version no matter how good J-Lo is at her dancing . The original seems the best :)
October 2, 2008
I love this movie. It has a great script, great acting, appealing characters, and great music. This movie by Japanese director Masayuki Suo is one of my top ten favorite movies.
May 16, 2008
A true delight - definite must see. Since it's Japanese, it moves at a slower pace than American films, but, trust me, your patience will be rewarded.
September 12, 2007
Different actors. but remarkably almost identical to the more popular American version released seven years later.
July 9, 2007
I thought it was pretty good, got to watch the background some times though so you won't miss anything. And it kinda makes me want to see the American version.
May 28, 2007
A delightful romantic comedy. I'm not saying that the Gere-Lopez remake was bad, because it's not. However, the whole concept of public touching in Japanese society is fraught with centuries of taboo. but public touching in Japan is Just Not Done, so there is far more at stake when the humble salaryman decides to drop in at the local dance studio on a whim.
½ May 11, 2007
you nasty that part where you just have to feel it is so cute but you know it felt good!!!! get it girl!!!!!!!!!
May 8, 2007
The Japanese version...the normal situations of a man's life as he tries to find happiness....it's something people can relate to, but there is also humor. Worth the watch! :D
April 22, 2007
The movie has a humorous charm to it but overall it feels as if it is a stereotypical western romantic comedy in Japanese.
½ March 23, 2007
I think this one's much more romantic than the remake... I saw it AFTER the 2004 American remake, and just loved it!!
March 17, 2007
Good film!! I love the contrast of the daily grunt worker, and come across the rail and try a hand on dancing...Very well done. LOVE IT!!
½ March 15, 2007
So much better than the jlo version...even though it was subtitled. So much less pretentious, less full of itself.
½ February 25, 2007
A really intersting look at the Japanese lifestyle and what is appropriate and expected of the working father. A middle aged man finds excitement and meaning through ballroom dancing while he hides it from his family and coworkers.