Oliver Twist Reviews

April 28, 2008
Really really bad!
May 25, 2008
it was on TV, and that was back when people watched a film simply b/c elijah wood was in it...a little bouncy and carefree for a TRUE oliver twist depiction, but it's tolerable nonetheless
September 8, 2007
I remember seeing this movie for the first time- on TV's "The Wonderful World Of Disney"- and I remember it well. It's a movie adaptation of Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist", which I used to read back in elementary school. I know what the story is about: Oliver runs away from a sweat shop (correct?) to London, where he meets Fagin and the Artful Dodger. Three years after my first viewing, I saw "Oliver Twist" again, but this time, I was with my 7th grade English class, and it was all part of our assignment of reading the Dickens' novel. This movie version of the Dickens' novel is so great, and I give it four stars!
½ November 24, 2014
By no means offensive and not necessarily bad, it's just thoroughly bland.
April 6, 2014
This movie distorts the book terribly and ruins a great book.
April 9, 2013
Tony Bill's Oliver Twist is harmless and some times even entertaining, featuring a very compromised performance by Elijah Wood and Richard Dreyfuss, but still is a very poor adaptation and lacks a bit of consistency and charm.
July 5, 2012
A poor vision of the Charles Dickens story. No wonder this was a made-for-tv special.
June 11, 2012
This is a TV movie that was among the VHS movies from the bag. So here's a movie you most likely never heard of which is this none musical version of Oliver Twist.

Plot: Oliver Twist was born shortly before his mother died holding a locket meant for him. He grows up in a workhouse where he is made to work for the first 6 years of his life. One day the other boys make his ask for more gruel which causes him to be kicked out of the workhouse. So he leaves to steal in London, but not before he sneaks back at the workhouse to get his mother's locket. Once he's in London he comes across a young man named Dodger who takes him to Fagin who trains him to become a pickpocket.

This is really just an "eh" kind of movie. It's not a grand big musical like the actual musical or the best picture winner Oliver!, but it at least done it's job for what it's worth in giving us the story. But it doesn't do it's job too well. The acting wasn't too big and there could've been maybe a little more work done with some of the character development like Mr. Brownlow. Honestly, the only thing that was in anyway interesting for me was that they had Elijah Wood as Dodger. I don't know if he's what Dodger is suppose to be from the book (cause I only know Dodger from the musical), but he did a nice job. I guess one thing to really like about his performance is how he's not being a hero like in Lord of the Rings or Happy Feet or something like that. But other than that, that's kind of it.

So that's my review for Oliver Twist. I know this is a shorter review than usual, but...yeah I just feel like there is nothing much left to really say about it.
June 1, 2012
I remember this movie as a kid and thought it was delightful!
½ December 16, 2011
Elijah is excellent in it, but is the only good bit about it.