Great Expectations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Great Expectations Reviews

½ November 7, 2009
I saw this film a few weeks ago and just couldnt get it out of my mind. It is totally dazzling. Its captivating. I think it probably the closest thing I have seen to a fairytale. It remains true to Dickens and has a great cast. I would say its near perfect
MANUGINO
½ June 4, 2009
Such a great love story, really beautiful! Based on Charles Dickens' timeless tale, this is a story of the love of a man for an unreachable woman. Updated to modern day New York City, the story concerns a man of modest background who falls in love with a rich girl. But when a mysterious benefactor greenlights the man to make his dreams come true, everything done has the ultimate goal of making Estella fall in love with him...
Gx7
½ February 10, 2008
Sweet, made me cry. *sniff!* ^_^

This is a disaster movie for anyone who paints tho.
deano
½ August 6, 2007
This modern reworking of the Charles Dickens novel has Gwyneth Paltrow break Ethan Hawke's heart over and over again. Not enough emotion or complexity in a facile narrative transplanted to the contemporary New York art world.
October 25, 2006
The more I think about it the less I like it.
ascordeiro108
October 2, 2011
Didn't like it.
Didn't like Ethan Hawke's character, but, let's face it, little Finn was cute.
Gwyneth's character, big NO.
The only things I enjoyed were the although short, Chris Cooper's, Robert De Niro's and Anne Bancroft's characters. A quote by Finn in the beginning of the movie; "I'm not going to tell the story the way it happened. I'm going to tell it the way I remember it."And also the last talk between Ms. Dinsmoor and Finn where Finn repeated her words and gestures; "It's my heart, and its broken."

But, overall I didn't like it, the story wasn't engaging and was a bit messy.
April 19, 2008
I liked this adaptation as seen through the eyes of the main character and not necessarily as it was... Great photography, excellent cast especially in the supporting roles (Bancroft, De Niro, etc) and a soundtrack that will always have a special place in my heart.
October 29, 2007
This is such a sweet, charming, romantic film and I enjoyed it greatly. Ethan Hawke is superb in the lead, and everyone around him is very good too. Cuaron's direction, although iffy at times, is solid overall and provides the film with a sleek modern feel.
July 25, 2009
A little slow in parts, but an interesting story line.
½ October 25, 2008
Pretty dull. A Dicken's novel I don't think I'd ever want to read judging by this movie.
KeepGuessing
May 6, 2008
I love this movie. First off, the story was just awesome. Next off, though I can't really explain why, I just love the whole visual "feel" of the film. Lastly, my hat goes to Ethan Hawke and Gwyenth Paltrow, not for the chemistry, but for such awesome performances. The both of them literally breathes life into the film.
iLeo
November 6, 2007
This is simply one of the most ingenious work within his collection.
Great music!
June 1, 2007
Would have been better, but awkwardly cut.
June 17, 2009
It took me years to finally get around to seeing this film. I loved the trailer when it came out, but I just never made the effort to hunt down this R rated Charles Dickens adaptation. Since its release Alfonso Cuarón has become a directorial superstar. This film in 2.35:1 shows why. Alfonso has a fantastic eye and this film is gorgeous. I will say the love story was not as powerful or as sweeping as I had hoped, but that's OK. Robert DeNiro is fantastic in a minor but important role. As adaptations go, I think the soul of Dickens' book is here, although liberties are taken. Overall, a beautiful film with more than a touch of class.

"It's my heart, and its broken."
July 17, 2014
Forget the critics. I thought this movie was romantically beautiful. Yeah I agree there were some cheese scenes with Ethan Hawke but overall I thought the story was pretty decent. This is my first time watching this movie as I was going though HBO GO Movie section and chose to watch this movie. Overall I love the music score and I thought the movie was beautiful in the art and music blend after all it was used from the original book from Charles Dicken's The Great Expectations in a modern level. I will give this movie a 4 out of 5.
February 15, 2014
I had Great Expectations about this movie - well . . . Moderate Adaptation. Soundtrack - BEST PART OF MOVIE!!! Anne Bancroft - GREAT as Ms. "Havisham" (Why change the names?) The stilted death of the benefactor coupled with key back stories being eliminated as a result of adaptation, it leads me to wonder if the screenplay was over edited - too many gaps. Not the best adaptation. Performances by Bancroft, Cooper, and Azaria make it worthwhile watching on Netflix. De Niro phoned his part in at the end.
April 29, 2009
I watched the TV version and it was weird, maybe they cute too much out, but it didn't flow well and I didn't like the story.
½ April 11, 2009
The Charles Dickens' tale of Great Expectations is set in modern times, with Finn leaving his priviledged upbringing in Florida and heads to New York City to become an artist. What a good story - I haven't read the original book but I would like to check it out sometime later. Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow have done their good acting performances here. :)
March 26, 2009
I remember reading this and I think Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow were perfect. Anne Bancroft made it more realistic but really it was sad.
I will definitely watch this again.