Merlin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Merlin Reviews

May 2, 2009
A pretty good made for tv movie. I liked it.
puffchunk
October 13, 2007
I loved it on t.v., but it's been too long, I need to see it again.
½ June 7, 2007
I love this. I like that it doesn't focus on King Arthur for once (Merlin is a much more interesting character), and Miranda Richardson and Helena Bonham Carter look fabulous. The downside is the 'modern' humour of Frik, which ruins the effort to make it look ancient and sumptious.
garyX
May 10, 2007
A superb cast ham it up mercilessly in an anachronistic pantomime that's far more interested in over-directed set pieces and special effects than characters. Typical of Hollywood's dumb revisionism of classic tales.
deano
½ April 8, 2007
Fantastically fantasy details the life of King Arthur's court wizard from the events behind his conception to the entrusting of the sword of Excalibur. Unlike previous films about Camelot, Merlin is all about the magic. Astounding special effects that are even more entertaining than the wonderful performances from the all-star cast.
ascordeiro108
January 6, 2011
looove
constanzaboutter
½ February 27, 2009
Moving, beautiful and well-constructed work. Effective at retelling the legends in a refreshing way, at the same time giving a side story about the character's growing up and loves. All webbed together beautifully well, the characters and the climax wonderfully painted.
June 6, 2007
Not a movie to see if you want flawless special effects, but the story is beautiful and justice is done to the tale in this magical fantasy about a wizard torn between his two loves; his lady and mankind.
May 15, 2007
Nice revision.
½ January 22, 2013
Haha I remember watching this on TV. It wasn't terrible, but... I mean, Rutger Hauer was in it. That's gotta count for something, right?
½ October 11, 2012
I can't remember a ton of this movie but i believe it was pretty good. I wish someone would make a modern movie on Merlin.
½ July 8, 2010
This has to be one of my favorite adaptations of Merlin. It may be nothing like what some stories like to tell, but then again, Merlin's girlfriend is said to be his rival and enemy in some stories, and others say they're lovers. It truly depends on how you prefer to view it.
½ May 18, 2010
Not a great movie, but Sam Neill's performance saved it in my opinion. It's not something I would recommend to everyone, but if you're a fantasy fan I would recommend it.
½ November 23, 2009
This is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Yet, it's kind of like Labyrinth...you can't help but like it anyway. It's so unique and imaginative that you have to appreciate it.

Mostly I like Sam Neil though. That dude is an awesome actor. At the time that Merlin came out I was obsessed with Jurassic Park, and Sam Neil was my favorite actor. I've always had a particular interest in fantasy, so when I heard that Sam Neil was going to play Merlin I was freakin' pumped.

It's a long movie, which might be my only major problem with it. It's one of those movies where I think to myself, "Self...I'd really like to watch Merlin...but that would take forever, and I don't have that kind of time." If I want to watch an epic fantasy that will demand my attention for three hours, I'll just watch the Lord of the Rings.

Nevertheless, if you haven't seen Merlin you should at least once. It's a very interesting interpretation of the King Arthur story. It's unlike any other interpretation I've seen. It can be very emotional at times, and there are some big name actors here. It kind of feels like a movie made for TV, but that also adds to the appeal for me. There's nothing like it out there, and it really gives me a sense of nostalgia.
October 3, 2009
I loved it. Throughout this whole, long movie, I was never bored. I loved the love of Merlin and Nimue.
July 10, 2009
I think i have saw just about all the Merlin movie versions but this one is BY FAR my favorite..it took me FORVER to find the thing on video but i did & still remains one of my all time favorites
½ December 31, 2008
I think they really put a lot of effort into this production, and it shows in how the plot flows. It just kind of eats at you that this is what they are proposing Merlin was like. If it was about a story that involved characters unknown to you, it would be okay. But messing with Authur and Merlin just sort of takes the story down a notch.
August 19, 2008
Arg!

This could very well be my favorite movie of all time.
(Maybe not favorite favorite, but definitely top 3.)

It's an epic. (Which I adore.)
It has Sam Neil. (Whom I adore, but to a lesser extent.)

This is also on the Zune for on demand viewing. :]
August 28, 2008
Not a bad fantasy movie about King Arther and Merlin. The special effects were also pretty good for the time.
July 16, 2013
Was a very good movie with a great script and acting my everyone and love the ending so much. I haven't seen this movie in a while. The graphics are great for the time period in was made in. I always thought it was wonderful how they added parts of other movies of the same time era that fit in perfectly along with showing the background of the other famous movies and how they got to become who they were in other movies and how they started out and together for their own story for their movies and pretty much all of the characters that left to have their own movies of their life together all basically started from Camelot in this movie, it just ties everything together nicely. Would love to watch it again as soon as it's available to watch on tv or Netflix soon.