Wide Awake Reviews

½ October 2, 2009
Absolute bile! It?s not funny, it has Julia Stiles in it, it has annoying 9 year old boys talking like adults in it and a predictable ending, and not a particularly good one at that! I'm glad Shyamalan was given the go ahead for The Sixth Sense based on this, as I liked it but I sure as hell wouldn't have!
½ January 2, 2007
Such a cute little film with a strong message.
May 24, 2011
Adorable, down-to-earth, and spiritually in-depth. There's more to this film than what you may have heard.
½ July 28, 2007
Shyamalan's 1st commercial film is certainly one worth watching. This film focuses on a 5th-grader's journey to find god following his grandfather's passing, and his year-long adventures leading up to his final revelation. I'm not a believer in god, but this film is very heart-warming.
Joseph Cross is an amazing actor at such a young age. Leary, Loggia, Stiles, Delaney and Reifsnyder provide great supporting roles which do not subtract from the film's charm. O'Donnell fits well in this film.
Unlike the real world, Shyamalan's film is non-abusive in its faithful message of enlightenment. The plot is easy to understand, and does not steer the audience with dogmatic tension or fear.
½ September 9, 2006
I'm not religious and even though this movie is about a kid that is trying to find god, its so much more than that. M.Night Shymalan is such a great story-teller, I enjoyed this film a lot.
½ October 30, 2008
This is so unlike Shyamalan in its plot and feel if you look on the surface -- but one of Shyamalan's main themes has always been the issue of faith, of God, of how that can connect to our life down here. He just took an entire movie to explore it here, instead of having it as a sideplot to the main idea of aliens invading earth.

Joseph Cross is superb as the main child. He's possibly as brilliant as Haley Joel Osment was in Sixth Sense, but in a very different genre. He is wrestling with very serious, adult issues, and his growing discouragement is heartbreaking to watch.

Although this isn't a brilliant film, it's a solidly moving portrayal of a young boy's search for God in a world that is too busy to answer his questions.

(By the way, what is this "Rosie O'Donnell Is Hilarious!" endorsement up at the top of the box cover? Rosie O'Donnell was in it very briefly and was not terribly hilarious either time. Really, the story's about the boy, not about her at all. Terrible idea trying to market it as an uproarious family comedy.)
February 9, 2008
A kid movie for people that used to be kids. A church movie for people that do/do not attend church. A thinking movie for people that enjoy using their brains. From this moment forward, Night showed us what was coming, and like the Coen brothers, I think he should be declared a National Treasure.
December 21, 2007
Good first effort by M. Night. Nothing like his subsequent work, though you do get a little preview of how he likes to wrap his films up in this one. This is actually his most subtle film; I have a feeling that were he to direct this one now, it would be a supernatural thriller. As it is, a nice, breezy family-friendly flick about the nature of faith and friendship.
½ June 20, 2007
A charming story told by a 10 year old boy who goes on a mission looking for God after his best friend/grandfather passes away. I came upon this one by chance while flipping through the channels. Good family fun.
½ March 11, 2007
To me M.Shamalyan bites, after The Village, The Sixth Sense and Lady in the Water my faith is shaky.One rainy day channel surfing I found a true gem.A small boy loses his grandfather and goes on a quest to find God to ask why his grandfather died.Asking every major adult in his life all he's seeking is an answer.What he finds is a totally different thing.And yes there is a twist ! To me this is his best film to date and its all about the content and subject matter and how its handled.Touching and really beautiful this is what Signs struggled with being and on likely half the budget as well! And Rosie O'Donnell is in it and gives an understated and soft performance...yeah its true she's pretty good as a nun! And last but not at all least the great character actor Robert Loggia as the grandfather his scenes are very short but so comforting and his death actually is painful.Look see the film and find out why the director SHOULD be considered a great director as opposed to the crap like Sixth Sense!
February 16, 2007
A touching comedy from the man who brought you the 6th sense. Touching, funny and gives a good portrayl of the Catholic faith. Lighthearted from his other films but still has that suprise ending.
½ July 9, 2006
WHAT??? M. Night Shyamalan did this?? Wow... I cried! this is a very sweet and endearing film. The little boy just breaks your heart.
½ June 20, 2006
heres a m. night movie for ya. And no Rosie doesnt turn into a Iron Golem, or the Kid into a computer game or anything....bummer
yram212001
June 2, 2006
Ignore the fact that Rosie is in this and you just might enjoy it. A pleasant movie for anyone and the kid is real sweet.
½ July 26, 2012
M night started out with an ok movie
½ June 1, 2013
Wide Awake is great for anyone who is going through a crisis of faith or is unsure of what they believe. The primary moral of the story is simple: if you seek out a connection with your Higher Power, you will find it.

I watch this movie with my children because it is great for generating discussion about many topics on which kids need direction: God, church, life after death, spirituality, bullying, peer/school issues, social status, terminal illness, etc.

This is a great effort by M. Night Shyamalan, and it is an excellent family film, although it is too slow for young children. I recommend that it be watched with children when they are 7-12 years old. Give it a try if you have kids, or if you are questioning your faith.
May 7, 2012
Shyamalan started his carrer here? well Im interested.
April 16, 2012
This is a nostalgic favorite for me. Even though I only saw it back in 2007, when I was fourteen, it had a big impact on me then and I still love it.
December 29, 2011
Was good and I can appreciate the fact that he discovered what he wanted to see ... I don't necessarily agree with it so it barely gets 3 stars from me.
June 17, 2011
I thought The Sixth Sense was his first movie...