—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Imitation of Life Reviews

AJ V

September 3, 2010
I normally hate remakes, but Sirk's remake of this movie presents a richer, well rounded, and more realistic story than this movie does. Although I do applaud the film makers for choosing this story, they disappoint the audience by not going into depth with the characters.
jjnxn
jjnxn

December 23, 2007
This is more of a social conflict drama with the mother-daughter conflict woven in, a fine film but the Lana Turner version is more emotionally involving.
John B

October 24, 2013
I did not see the Douglas Sirk version that was produced 20 years later but I found this depiction of two girls, one white and one black, who were raised together by circumstance is ever so good.
phaedrus99
March 27, 2011
A woman makes business using her nanny's image, an aunt-jemima thing. Great little movie if you like classic films, superbly acted.
jam233
January 5, 2010
Outstanding drama, superbly acted by Claudette Colbert and Louise Beavers. The supporting cast is fine. Excellent screenplay, and it's way ahead of it's time tackling racial issues. Fresh, moving and remarkable. The remake in 1959 is fine, but I still like this one best.
ghettoqueen747
November 7, 2009
This movie is great. It shows how a girl is ashamed of who she is because of the color of her skin. it kind of reminds me of Tony Morrison's "The Bluest eye" in the sense that here is someone who can clearly pass for white but she has a black mother and does everything within her power to deny her black mother until she has a revelation and its too late to turn back!
February 11, 2008
I found this one to be rather unbelievable--the guy that Claudette Colbert and her daughter (in the film) fell in love with was definitely miscast. Lana Turner's version was much better.
January 27, 2008
I absolutely love watching this movie. I cry every single time I see it. Ms. Delilah was the absolute best mom ever. She loved that hard-hearted Peola just the way she was. There's nothing like having the love you give be reciprocated, but when it's not, it's a movie of inspiration to keep doing what is right...in spite of. Where's the tissue? (I'm such a crybaby) LOL! Just kidding.
November 26, 2007
Sorry. Sirk's nice, but he wasn't doing everything he claimed in his writing. That was critic bait.
crayolaart
October 7, 2007
This is the earlier version of the 1959 hit. Still a very good version of how we all view life many times.
disantonancy
September 3, 2007
Cried from beginning to end in this one!! Don't let the date fool you. This is a real hard look about love.
winter8937
July 10, 2007
Very good old time movie about a bi-racial girl who grow's up wanting to pass for a white girl. Remember this was back in the 30's so this was a very big deal and now today I'm sure today some people are having idenity problems while hurting others around them that love them. This is an old heart touching movie that I will have my daughter watch. Alot of good lesson's can be learned from watching this movie. Don't forget your tissuse
MzSlimmie
June 13, 2007
For anyone who has never seen this movie, it is indeed a must see. Just make sure you have your tissues handy.
June 6, 2007
Great; but Peola needed a good a$$ beating, and I wouldn't have devulged my grandmother's secret pancake recipe without big compensation.
chestnutbrown333
May 27, 2007
This movie should be required viewing for all mullattos. My dad shared it with me...and I'll share it with my kid.
grownsexy44yahoocom
March 16, 2007
U should carry ur race with pride never try to b someone ur not because u will break someone who loves so much that they will die not being able to love u for who u don't want to b. Beautiful movie A Heart breaker
JANETHAWKINSLAMB
February 22, 2007
Every year around the start of the holidays it was must see movie. . It touch me everytime. Have a box of kleenex ready
VaTankz26
March 2, 2007
If you loooove classics, this the perfect movie. It has one of the most strongest relationships anyoone could appreciate, that of a mother and daughter
daynise
February 27, 2007
Makes me cry...it reminds me of how I really took my great-grandmother for granted when she was alive.
ladybug43us2002
February 6, 2007
Saw as a child now have in my movie collection. Took me forever to find. No one is allowed to touch to hard to replace if I ever could. Take no chances with this 1.