20% The Identical Sep 05

Men With Guns Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 13, 2009
This was my first John Sayles film that I am aware of. It came from my list of Films from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival and as I have said in each review of a film from that list, they have yet to show a bad film. I am told that Sayles is a Independent American Filmmaker and he proves it in this film. A film in Spanish language with English Subtitles. A story of a Doctor in a Latin American Country who goes on a search for his students that he trained years before, they are spread out in the rain forest. The students he finds out have been killed over the years by soldiers or guerrillas, bandits or thieves, all of who are Men With Guns. The cast is unheard of by most Americans, but neither the subtitles nor the cast take away from the movie. 4 1/2 stars I have to give this one.
Beefy
Beefy

September 24, 2006
Powerful film. Worthwhile.
John B

January 19, 2012
Another Sayles masterpiece. Where did that guy go anyways? I realize that the quality of his films has deteriorated but surely he has more stories to tell us?
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

February 5, 2007
To the innocent bystander, the poverty stricken populance caught in the middle of a revolution/civil war/coup d'etat, there is no difference between the dictators and the democrats, the fascists and the socialists, the military and the paramilitary, no heroes and no villains. There are only the men with guns and themselves, and the men with guns always get what they want.

This rarely shown side of armed conflict is at the heart of this brave film, which dares to empathize without preaching. The film is as simple as its title, and no less profound for it.

Shot entirely in spanish (as opposed to entirely in english with the cast donning 'spanglish' accents, thank you) and taking place in a purposefully unnamed country, it is structured like a road movie whose ultimate destination is a mythical utopic town in the jungle.

So rarely has a film captured the spirit or the reality of Latin America, and the fact that this one, directed by a man from Boston, managed to do both, brings hope.
Christopher B

January 30, 2008
Very interesting film from the great John Sayles. Shot mostly in Spanish this is a great character study that as you watch it you sink completely into the movies world. It was cool how Sayles added Patinkin in there to jolt you out of it for a minute, just to remind you that you were hypnotized.
jscottcorley
June 14, 2010
Excellent Sayles film about government and violence clashing with the lives of the people. The single character going back to try and find the students he sent into the wild to doctor the locals is a perfect frame to drop in other elements along the journey. Sayles' character development and direction is so very good as a viewer you know each new character will be a new journey in itself.
jes25924
June 27, 2008
I saw this film once, on cable, completely unaware of who John Sayles was, and initially unsure if I wanted to watch something which sounded so didactic, but what I found was one of the most comelling dramas I had ever seen.
The story follows a wealthy doctor from a lush unnamed city in a fictional South American country(but its filmed in Mexico), on his journey through the country side, as part of his retirement, he is going to first visit those doctors whom he trained that went on to work in poor villages. Out of the comfort of the city comes the violence of rural areas, crimes and horrors perperated not by the government or the rebels, but in the eyes of the many villagers who recount the tales, by "The Men With Guns". A journey of dissillusionment and story of complacency, action, and meaning, "Men With Guns" is a movie which doesn't seem particularly appealing but which sidewinds viewers with it's suprising literate dialogue and plotting and lush visuals of South American countryside. Men With Guns is a political allegory that sneaks up on you with it's emotional impact and gripping humanism. I don't normally like to use to the word "moving" when refering to a work of art, because it makes me think of heavy lifting and boxes, but this movie was just, that, and having only seen it once after many years, it still comes back to me, particularly when I hear the daily body counts from any of the numerous war zones, patronized by the night news.
January 19, 2011
One of John Sayles' best films that even many of his fans haven't seen.
May 28, 2012
Wrong Movie info for Men with Guns
kingofthecorn
October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.
LittleGordo
April 11, 2005
This movie was really tough to watch because it was all true. My political science background forced me to research the Alliance for Progress long before I saw this movie. This film depicts the horror that Latin America was, and still is, going through because while some tried to do nothing but help the poor and sick, others were trying only to hurt everyone. The trip the doctors takes into the heartland has him encounter many people that through the combination of all their stories we get a real feel for the horror of Latin America.