The Avengers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Avengers Reviews

April 14, 2008
This movie is bad, yes, but it's an interesting type of bad movie. A lot of really cool sets and other odd visual decisions make this a rather intriguing failure. The main problem is just how boring the whole thing is, and i mean tediously boring, dull, lifeless. Uma Thurman is probably the most boring actress i have ever seen in my life. From this to Kill BIll her range hasn't improved one bit.
½ February 3, 2010
When evil reigns, only one team can weather the storm.

Pretty bad movie! Take my word for it, there is nothing in "The Avengers" for you to get. It is not clever, its not some high concept parody, its just a really, REALLY badly written, acted, and directed movie that I doubt anyone on the production team was happy with after it had been finished. NOT recommended!

British Ministry secret agent John Steed, teams up with Emma Peel to stop Sir August De Wynter from destroying the world with a weather changing machine. They are called in to investigate Prospero, a plot to blackmail Britain by controlling the weather. Emma Peel is suspected of being involved but it is discovered that she has a double who works for the real baddie, Sir August de Wynter. He threatens to freeze Britain, at one point unleashing a blizzard on Trafalgar Sqaure.
½ August 1, 2007
You'd hope that with Sean Connery given the chance to play a Bond villain that this would be a bit of a rousing party ... but no. Someone forgot that the television show's appeal lightly elbowed the whole fascination with James Bond, lightly, not bludgeoned, and so the sense of fun is noticeably absent. The sets, the wardrobe, the double entendres are all present and how, overplayed to boredom. Unfortunate.
½ June 8, 2010
Yes the plotline is absolutely rediculous and Uma Thurmons acting is terrible as well as her costumes but guess who else is in this movie...RALPH FIENNES! and He can NEVER make a movie bad. He saves them majority of the time. Now he's done it again with smooth moves and wonderful wordrobe. O how I love him. Such class one can only pray to see a glimps of him any man today...sigh.
March 18, 2008
A great cast put together for (yet another) remake that somewhere along the line falls flat. It took a drubbing from critics and fans, but whatever caused this film to fail, it sure as hell wasn't the acting. Nothing wrong there, although I have to say Uma isn't near the beauty Diana Rigg was in that role. Damn she was hot.
½ May 6, 2007
Terrible simply terrible. I can't believe that this is actually as bad as everyone told me.

January 8, 2008
Kind of weak but there are some cool visuals here and there.
February 18, 2007
This secret-agent film based on British's 1960s TV series with retro fashion and effects-packed action look bloody dull and silly.
June 19, 2007
The Avengers is a classy mind-bending British spy adventure. It's campy and a whole lot of fun! The production design and witty script was superb. I loved the awesome opening titles and soundtrack with great score and pop tunes. Uma Thurman is sexy and charming as Emma Peel. Ralph Fiennes made a classy and calm-no-matter-what John Steed. Sean Connery was a hostile and demented weather-controlling scientist Sir August de Wynter. Eddie Izzard plays a naughty glam-clad baddie. There are some great scenes and concepts: big radio-controlled killer wasps, a dangerous village training ground, them walking across the water in bubbles, a secret boardroom meeting with teddy bear costumes, a duplicate Emma Peel, an endless loop of mansion hallways, Emma and Steed's impromptu fencing, a tea tap on the car dash, a skirmish on high-wires in a lightning storm chamber, an old lady taking out baddies with a machine gun, a mini tornado inside a glass dome, a hot air balloon escape, Emma Peel strutting boldly into a private mens' club, a guy boss code-named Mother and a lady boss code-named Father, a sunny day instantly becoming a blizzard, multiple tornadoes in London, and more! It's packed with great things - and all in 89 minutes, meaning brisk pacing. I've watched it lots of times.
June 11, 2007
Even Eddie Izzard couldn't save this muddled mess
½ June 6, 2007
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It takes great skill to make a film this bad and great stupidity to have a part in it. Seriously did anyone read this and go, yeah this is good. No? Didn't think so you plebs.
February 2, 2007
Ralph Fiennes plays John Steed on the big screen fighting a weather controlling madman (Sean Connery), with people in gummy bear suits, all very odd. Tally ho.
January 2, 2007
Well, there's another franchise nipped in the bud. Boy, Ralph, big difference between something like this and, say, The Constant Gardener, and they would have to drag Connery into this fiasco. It might have made more sense to roll out Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee.
½ November 12, 2006
A real missed oppurtunity this one. The series lends itself to adaptation perfectly and Thurman and Fiennes were actually quite good as Steed and Mrs. Peel. Even Sean Connery couldn't salvage anything from it though, the real villain of the piece being the appalling script. Now if only Joss Whedon could get the rights...
October 23, 2006
(instert fart noise here--even with Uma Thurman in a skin-tight leather outfit)
September 1, 2006
I didn't see what was wrong with this film
April 30, 2012
With the recent release of Marvel's The Avengers, I thought it would be the perfect time to check out the lesser known version. With the only thing this movie has going for it is the lovely (and kick-ass) Uma Thurman and Sean Connery, it`s not worth your time to see these two great onscreen together.

There's so many problems with the story that literally anyone could write a three hundred page novel on why this movie sucks. First of all, this organization has an invisible agent and all he gets to do is paperwork. Apparently according to this movie an invisible agent is useless for any kind of spy work. Second, these characters are boring, bland, and so uninteresting that I soon realize I was going to need beer to get through this. The characters are so calm for the whole movie, even during the more exciting (I that use that term loosely) action scenes. Third, you have Sean Connery in a bear costume in a room filled with other in bear costumes. I'm curious about this particular scene for one reason, it`s the fact that someone actually wrote this and actually made it in the final version of the movie. Why? Fourth, Sean Connery character is taking over the world to become rich, even though he's already rich. I drank another bottle of beer just because of how stupid the movie main villain motivation was. I still can't believe this was written by adults. Fifth, you have two Uma Thurman in this movie and you think with that genius idea the movie would be interesting. It`s not, both Uma Thurman characters are equally boring and poorly written. There`s actually a scene of Uma Thurman jumping off a building in a bear costume, my first reaction upon seeing that was to drink another bottle of beer and not to break my t.v. Sixth, there`s no people to save in this world. Every time you see the city that our uninteresting characters are in, there`s no people. My theory is that the city the movie was being filmed in was evacuated to prevent lawsuits from citizens for appearing in a terrible movie. With so many problems with the story I pointed out I could rant on all day how terrible the story is. It`s one of the most poorly written movie I had the displeasure of watching.

Unfortunately for me everything else was just as bad. As much as I love seeing Uma Thurman and Sean Connery on screen together, their performance were awful. It's not their fault, it`s poor writing and a even poorer direction that are to blame. There`s no interesting imagery, no good score, awful special effects, and nothing is done right. I find it ironic this is my second Uma Thurman movie I review where she works with great talent to a very disastrous result. As for the special effects in this movie, let's just say the studio that brought us the over the top Mega Piranha would be proud of these effects. With all that out of the way, i'm going to rant more about the movie awful story. Seventh, the ridiculous climax has Connery getting killed and pulled away from the off screen by lightning. Was there no other way the writers could have killed this character. Eighth, the main villain has several chances to kill our heroes and lets them off freely knowing that they'll attempt to stop him. Dumbest villain ever written. Ninth, it`s gets even more over the top than it already is when you see poorly CG robotic bees attacking your main characters, and then getting saved by a old woman with a machine gun. Tenth, this movie was cut from its original run time of 115 minutes which means the editing department didn`t cut off enough. This is truly garbage with no redeeming value other than the fact that it somehow has Thurman and Connery in it.

The Avengers is a movie so poorly written and dumb that I actually needed beer to get through which has not happened since Jaws 4 The Revenge. The Avengers is unworthy of it title, great talent, and it`s definitely unworthy of your time that could be better spent. Now that i'm done with this unspeakable mess of a movie, i'm going to get a hangover with the hopes of forgetting that I ever watched this.
October 18, 2012
One of my childhood movies, boring for most but a guilty pleasure of mine.
February 15, 2006
I tried sooooooooo hard to like this movie. I really really did.
½ April 19, 2008
Cool movie. The sense of class that encapsulates the entire movie was convincing enough and the premise for the whole film was okey. Though I'm not exactly sure why Sean Connery was dissed so bad for the playing the villian in this movie. He was okey in my book.