Celebrity Reviews

½ November 11, 2013
I struggled to find interest in this movie. Perhaps I'm not artistic enough, but I didn't see the point of the B&W, and it just dragged.
thmtsang
July 15, 2007
Woody Allen movie about a mix of celebrity lifestyles. Leo makes a cameo appearance as a crazed movie star into drugs and women. I trust this is an overinflated version of his life.
½ March 20, 2012
Filled with an A-list of celebrities standing around in rooms filled with celebrities who're talking about other celebrities (when they're not discussing their next project or trying to sleep with one another), seeing and being seen, Allen's insight, an insider's perspective delivered with angry boredom, seems to be how boring it all really is, corrupt, degenerate Western society (and yet everyone wants in), how bewildering. But that is really all he has to say, almost as if he were angry at the viewer for choosing to watch ...
½ September 14, 2007
Can't really describe what's good or bad b/c there's so much of that self-deprecating pretentiousness that is Woody Allen's genius...or downfall. Branagh's American accent is excellent though. Halfway through the movie, I remembered he's British.
stevenecarrier
July 6, 2010
One of Woody Allen's more unusual films. "Celebrity" may seem meandering for about 3/4 of it's runtime, but it's true intentions are finally revealed in its last half our. The black and white cinematography may be a bit much, but the copious master shots and endless monologues more than make up for it. Spot on performances by Judy Davis, Charlize Theron and Leonardo DiCaprio are the highlights of it's huge cast. Not perfect by any means but it does have it's moments, just like every Woody Allen film.
½ October 1, 2009
It?s got a great cast but no one delivers a fantastic performance or seem to be able to gel together on screen. A film about big egos tarnished by big egos!
½ April 16, 2009
It's a decent effort by the Allen, but it's nevertheless a landmark movie because after this I only have one (!) movie left until I have seen Woody's entire directing repertoire. I'll watch anything that Judy Davis breathes in, and she makes this movie that much more palatable. It boasts a cast crammed full of famous names, and most of their performances I could describe as solid: Charlize is gorgeous, Leo is dependable, Noni is amazing, Branagh is a natural mimic, Montegna is the one comic spot in the film. Easily forgettable, but not a bad or boring movie to be watching.
April 18, 2007
I saw it only once and I remember being not thrilled at all. First, it was nothing short of strange seeing Kenneth Branagh playing Woody Allen. It lost me for the last half but grabbed me again in a way for the last 5 minutes that ALMOST made up the all the boredom. Seeing DiCaprio parody himself and just looking at Winona Ryder were nice, but it's so incredibly easy to forget this movie exists.
July 3, 2008
I expected great things from the stellar cast. But it was too dark. I became bored. And I could not get past Branagh's bad Woody Allen imitation!
½ April 5, 2012
Messy and has not much going for it. All the scenes where thrown at you. I had a really hard time understanding what was going on. The part that babbled me the most was the fact that characters kept being introduced then cancelled. They didn't even add much to the plot. Did Woody Allen ever attend screenwriting 101? On the bright side this was a little funny. The funniest scene was when they where at the premiere. "He's one of those @$$^*$# that likes to film all his movies in black and white". It's funny because this film itself is in black and white. Also, that joke about the critic hating all movies but now loves every movie because he married a women with big boobs is just hilarious. I don't know if that kind of stuff is true. Maybe it is, all critics are just made. Just kidding, just because someone gives something a bad review doesn't mean that there mad. It just means that what they reviewed wasn't any good. This film also doesn't offer any insight on what celebrity's go threw and there obsession with fame. It just shows them doing random stupid stuff. The acting itself was good but it takes more then good acting to make a film. It also takes good character development like Leonardo DiCaprio clearly stated in this film. That being said this had terrible writing. The only possible way I can think of you liking this is if you're a Woody Allen fan. If you're not then don't even waste your time. .
zeravenyoej
½ January 23, 2008
LOADED with stars, Celebrity is an entertaining film with a very nice visual appeal (crisp black and white). The structure is a little bizzare. Essentially it's a series of sketches whose characters mostly disappear after their portions are finished. But honestly, I just went with it. It's kind of refreshing to not have to pay too much attention to plotting and pace and just enjoy the comedy as it comes. From what I've seen of her (Husbands and Wives, and TV's Judy Garland biopic), Judy Davis is prolly the quintessential nerorotic woman. The scene with her and a banana is the best piece of slap stick I've seen in a long time. She has this role down pat. Kenneth Branagh is downright grating at points though, doing a way-too-good Woody Allen impression. Charlize Theron is unbelievably sexy and Leonardo DiCaprio and Winona Ryder shine. A worthy, if not a masterpiece, Woody Allen effort.
July 15, 2007
This is an underrated film. Although the focus is slightly scattered, it's written by Woody Allen, and that means quality. A little more cynical than other Allen films, and very funny, this is definitely worth a look. Kenneth Branagh does an all right job playing a role written for Woody Allen in the '70s, and the rest of the cast is fantastic. As a sidenote, Leonardo DiCaprio's cameo is downright amazing.
April 29, 2007
"That's Papadakis, the director of the film we're gonna see. He's very arty, pretentious, one of those assholes who shoots all his films in black and white. Tom Dale - big star. He's in New York filming an adaptation of a sequel to a remake. Oh and getting out of the elevator I see there's a famous critic... he used to hate every movie. And then he married a young, big-bosomed woman and now he loves every movie." A Woody Allen picture portraying a look into the world of celebrity seen mostly from the perspective of two characters - a restless writer and a former school teacher. It has some very funny lines, a few of Allen's trademark squirm-inducing reality-check scenes, and a touch of romance. Kenneth Branagh essentially impersonates Woody Allen and it's an odd fit that doesn't always work. Far more successful is Judy Davis, who brings some emotional truth to her role as Robin, grappling with a life that's suddenly giving her opportunities she doesn't feel she deserves. The impressive supporting cast includes Winona Ryder, who is really rather superb as a struggling actress (and there's a brilliantly self-reflexive scene where she complains about her character's contradictions and then immediately after becomes out of character herself), Famke Janssen and Bebe Neuwirth. There are also some memorable appearances from Leonardo DiCaprio, Melanie Griffith, Debra Messing and Charlize Theron. Overall though, the film never really adds up to the some of its parts - the film is entertaining but when it's over there's nothing much to think about, and there's a lack of 'soul', something which Woody Allen's pictures rarely suffer from.
½ June 24, 2014
Disjointed and episodic, without any real interesting propulsive momentum. Of course, this being a Woody Allen film, there are a few scenes of great wit and sarcasm.
½ March 25, 2013
I thought this sucked and turned it off after maybe an hour or so. Woody is more hit than miss to me but this was definitely a miss as I feel it had potential. People like Larry David work better in lieu of easing into the Woody role. Kenneth Branagh did nothing for me here. While I do think it sucks, i would almost like to see it again but would rather watch other Woody movies that I have never seen.
May 11, 2012
The plot was pretty good, but once you start to watch too many Woody Allen movies, all his characters started to seem alike. Still it was pretty funny, but it could be shorter.
June 19, 2011
A shallow look at Celebrity on the way up in the true Woody Allen style, star studded, but still kinda ehhhh
½ September 29, 2006
I think the biggest problem with Woody Allen is that Kenneth Branagh was playing him too perfectly. Emulating the voice, the stammer, the movements... he wasn't playing the character. He was playing Woody Allen playing the character. John Cusack, Will Ferrell, and Scarlett Johnsson have played the typical Woody Allen character in recent years, but they each added their own special touch to them. Branagh makes us feel like we're watching some sort of Freaky Friday moment in motion, where Allen has actually transported himself into the body of the other actor. This is somewhat unsettling to people who are familiar with Allen and his mannerisms.

The story itself isn't too hot, either. It mostly treads old ground. Although there's some very good moments (Leonardo diCaprio is wonderful as a spoiled, sleazy movie star) it's one of Allen's least impressive films...and also one of his least funny comedies. Disappointing. 2.5 stars because he's still a very good writer/director... But this pales miserable in comparison to anything else he's done.
½ March 14, 2009
Ehh...kinda boring. It just doesn't fit my sense of humor. There were a couple nice scenes I could laugh at, but for the most part, it was one dull ride.