Jane Eyre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Eyre Reviews

jjnxn
½ October 3, 2013
Truncated version of the story that is strengthened by the ability of the leads.
August 1, 2008
Of all the "condensed" versions of 'Jane Eyre' I have seen (1944, 1949, 1957, 1970/1, 1996, 1997) this is currently my favourite even if the DVD quality is less than perfect. I have read that the orignal film was destroyed. What a mistake!
jjnxn
½ October 3, 2013
July 8, 2013
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer.
July 4, 2013
This movie was so awesome! I so want to see it again!
½ October 20, 2012
good a litle short cuts off the first part of story but, well acted.
September 18, 2011
This is the version I saw in China, and it seems no DVD was available. I have a special affinity to Mr. Scott's Mr. Rochester, no one has yet to surpass him!
August 28, 2011
I am going to pass on this one.
June 11, 2011
I give this movie two stars because the story is so perfect. The movie itself deserves only one star or perhaps only a half a star because it almost ruins one of the greatest novels of all time.
½ April 3, 2011
Very much a Cliffsnotes adaptation. Although Mann's direction is quite good, I find that the miscasting of Scott and York is what really took me out of it. Other than that, Williams' exquisite score is this version's saving grace.
½ May 15, 2010
The first act in Lowood feels incredibly rush and the acting by the kids is not exactly up to snuff. Also as pointed out in other reviews, the DVD transfer is horrendous but John Williams' stellar score and George C. Scott and Susannah York's face-off more than makes up for that.
½ December 5, 2009
Best version of Jane Eyre on screen ever!
½ August 30, 2008
I did not much care for this version of Jane Eyre. I did not believe that the characters loved each other at all. I love the more recent BBC 5 hour version of the film.
August 1, 2008
June 25, 2008
How many adaptations of this do we need?
June 15, 2008
This version was basically a summary of the book. It left out a lot.
½ June 14, 2008
This Hallmark Hall of Fame TV adaption may not be the best version for some people but it's been mine since 1971. I held a cassette player next to the TV speaker for 2 hours just so I could record John William's wonderful score. It would be 20 plus years before I was able to acquire a CD of the music. Personally, I like Susannah York as Jane. When she tells blind Edward, she's "come home" at the end, it always makes me cry.
½ March 20, 2008
The worst movie ever made. watching it was like torture.
March 13, 2008
Undenyably the worst adaptation of the film I have ever seen! I hate to say that, because George C. Scott plays a wonderful Scrooge, but one can tell he is too old for the Rochester role by far. He does little to capture the character, and Susannah York does nothing for me as Jane Eyre. Watch this only if you really have nothing better to do.
½ March 3, 2008
This was the worst telling of Jane Eyre ever! They completely butchered one of the best storries ever written! The only thing they kept close to the book was that she went to school when she was 10 and ran away after her wedding was cut short!