The King and I - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King and I Reviews

½ March 19, 2010
not a good plot or acting
½ March 28, 2013 It's just boring. The animation is meh, the plot is meh, the characters are meh...everything about this movie is average. I'm fully aware that this is blasphemy, but I actually prefer this one over the original. Both movies are boring, forgettable stories with stupid, terrible songs, but this one is 45 minutes shorter and has a dragon. Therefore it is better.
½ August 27, 2010
Quite possibly one of the worst animated movies ever made. But don't blame Rankin, he had very little to do with it.
August 18, 2007
Excellent remake of a great movie not a musical but a wonderful depiction and a great period movie great costumes!
August 6, 2007
Wtached this when I was like 10 ... And again last year because I was wondering what it was like ... Not bad
½ December 30, 2006
How to get an egg in a glass... I think that was shown in this one... or else it was Anna and the King.
June 15, 2006
It was alright, I guess, but when my mom told me it was The King and I, I was thinking Yul Brenner-style...but no. *cries*
October 16, 2015
I have not seen the original 1956 film yet, so I'll compare it to it's closest rivals from the same time-period. The voice-acting, in the case of the King speaking broken-English, was annoying. Tarzan spoke broken-English and it managed to make him quite charming. The animation leaves much to be desired for, but since Warner Bros was quite new at animating at the time, there's nothing else i can say, except for I've seen far more superior animation from the Walt Disney Studios (no surprise). Tarzan (1999 film) for example, was done in the same year, and the animation is far more refined and because of that, the film can still be enjoyed by today's youth. As far as the ''Prime Minister wanting to usurp the King'' theme is concerned, Dreamworks Animation (founded by a bunch of ex-Disney animators) did a far better job in The Road To El Dorado (2000) with their High Priest trying to kill the ''false gods''. Another Dreamworks-film, The Prince of Egypt, had a far more powerful theme and storyline, and Pharoah Rameses I, and his father Seti, made for a much better King than Siam ever did. The Road To El Dorado had a lot more wit, the Prince of Egypt had a more successful integration of songs into a Biblical epic and Tarzan had a more experienced animations team. The King and I would've been a far better film if Walt Disney or Dreamworks took over from Warner Bros.
March 6, 2014
Wait? When did this musical have an evil sorcerer and crappy animation in it?
September 13, 2013
It opens with a dragon getting defeated with light hearted song and it just continues to get sillier as it goes on. This childrens version of a popular musical dumbs down the original story to death to the point of nonexistance. Even kids will probably roll their eyes at this movies epic kidification
August 8, 2013
WTF did I just watch
½ June 10, 2013
When I was 8, I went over to my gran's house and we sat and watched the old classic King and I on tele. Then I later saw advertisements for this animation version, so my dad took me to see it at our local cinema. Well, in the presence, I re-watched this on Youtube and now I have to rate it a 1/10 because of how awful this was. The original King and I didnt have this, but this was way too frightening to look at for young viewers. There is a villain named whatshisname who puts on an evil scheme to distract the village with scary dragons, scary animals, a bloody-colored river, and there is a near death experience with the king. This movie is way to scary too look at with your kids. There is this woman who almost drowned at the part where she gets carried away in the river. This is nothing copied off of the original classic King and I and here are some subjects about it:

The animation was beautiful (almost like a Disney animation film). The script was flat. And the storyline was mostly predictable. The songs were forgettable. The characters are unfavorable.

Skip this floppy animated version and watch the original King and I.
March 30, 2013
March 26, 2013
This tries so hard to follow the Disney formula so it attracts the kids, but fails so hard as well.
March 23, 2013
Why dose a famous musical like this have, Dragons, Evil Wizards, Comic relief side-kicks, monkeys. Your better off watching the orignal then this uninteresting movie
March 20, 2013
I didn't mind this movie when I was a kid. In fact I loved watching it, because I had no idea it was based on a true story. But this... god-awful movie... gives no attention to the main characters, instead focuses on the comedy side characters, and OH MY GOD. It is now one of my new favourite Nostalgia Critic episodes.
½ January 11, 2013
This film is so awful that it's the reason why no other animated films have been made about musicals by Rodgers and Hammerstein. When I watched the film, I knew why this was so. The King And I is indescribably awful in every conceivable way. I knew that this film was fucked just from the opening scene when a musical number happens during a storm when the ship was being attacked by a sea monster (The musical number also stops the monster for some reason as well). This scene is so badly done and sung so poorly that I literally dropped my jaw and was left saying, "What the fuck?!" multiple times during that bafflingly idiotic scene. However, it is only the start of the stunning shittiness that is to come. Every other musical number is just as awful since they happen randomly and without reason, and are also sung poorly. The acting and dialogue are atrocious, since the actors were all stale in their performances. The attempts at humor are so pathetic that it will feel like the film is inflicting you with pain since the humor is completely unfunny. The animation looks like crap both in the hand drawn department and god-awful computer-generated parts, making it one of the ugliest animated films I've ever seen. The film also finds time to be racist, since it features stereotypical caricatures of Chinese people, which makes the film even worse to sit through. It's also a horrificially cliched film since it features a contrived romance subplot and a badly inserted "be yourself" message, while also stealing from Disney for good measure. All in all, The King And I isn't just horrible, it's beyond horrible in every way and easily one of the all-time worst animated films and also among the worst films I've ever seen (Even calling it a steaming pile of shit is being too polite). I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HATE IT!!!
November 5, 2012
Richard Rich could not have undermined the original Rogers and Hammerstein play any more than he did here. The singing feels very forced compared to the original film, and the animation has such a poor FPS rate combined with really bright colors, that it gives me a migraine. While I do have sympathy towards Rich as an animator, he really screwed up here. I mean it's sad that one of the men who directed a classic like The Fox and the Hound did this.
September 2, 2012
Completely butchered the 1956 classic. I watched it when I was very young, and looking back it now, the songs are butchered, the animation has its good moments, but mainly, so-so, and the plot has been completely trashed with adding sorcery, animal sidekicks and a comic relief character "Master Little". Do not go near this film.