Joan of Arc - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joan of Arc Reviews

deano
March 8, 2007
This long TV movie is really powerful, great story, wonderful cast, memorable quotes and great locations. I love the historical and biopic of Joan of Arc at the first time that I ever saw and the portrayal of Joan is created perfectly by a young and beautiful actress, Leelee Sobieski.
½ August 26, 2010
See the Milla Jovovich version. Spielberg produced this one I think.
April 19, 2015
This adaptation of "Joan of Arc" is just barely watchable thanks to solid production values, the power of the original story, and a surprisingly good performance from, of all people, Peter O'Toole. Unfortunately, the editing of the film is utterly incompetent, awkwardly flailing through the plot and battle sequences in fits and starts. Dialogue is distractingly anachronistic, and the interpretation of Joan is a middling portrayal which casts a bit of doubt into Joan's character, but doesn't really stake any significant claim on her in any which way. Because of this, Joan is robbed of most of her intrigue and power as a historical figure. She becomes a mere pawn of powerful men, not the paradigm breaking figure who demands to be reckoned with. Also, several important sequences are historically altered in ways that are detrimental to the power and impact of the story. (I'm looking at you, horrendously underdone betrayal scene/atrociously overwrought siege of Paris) This could have been phenomenal, but awful editing and scripting kills this endeavor to capture the mystique of the Maid of Orleans.
½ October 17, 2014
Visually decent, this rushed, unemotional, mediocre attempt is derailed completely by a simplistically modern and uneven script, and otherwise undone by a shockingly vacant Sobieski heading a name brand cast all phoning it in.
Skip it.
Boring yuk - unless you need help sleeping..
half star of 5
½ November 23, 2013
I saw this in French 1 class and LOVED it! My French teacher pointed out various things throughout the movie, like trivia facts and whatnot. This is actually a great movie. Must see!
½ October 26, 2012
It might be a better movie than I presume, but after 20 minutes of torture aka insane boredom, I surrendered. I'd much rather read a book about Jeanne d'Arc's life.
½ June 18, 2012
The only reason I bought this was because I had thought it was the other version and I couldn't remember who was in it :( It was just "okay" and a huge let down after thinking I was buying the one with Milla Jovovich. This one was too slow moving and the acting was really not very good and it took away any chance at getting very involved with the film. The end was far too rushed like they suddenly just ran out of time. Watch the other version if you have a choice. It was so much better.
June 26, 2008
I kind of knew it would be a waste, but I didn't realize how long of a waste it would be-3 hours. Sobieski can't carry the weight of her character and the only decent actors were probably the general and bishop. The directing was terrible and the film was like a soap opera with lots of lingering shots of anguished faces crying no over and over. Several scenes could've been shortened and were way too long and overdrawn. The movie was way too dramatic and cheesy with lots of bad acting. I was really bored and the action scenes were some of the worst I've ever seen, especially the one scene in the woods with the archers in the beginning. Sobieski is truly too young and naive to play her character and she is constantly giving a pompous smile. The saint deserves a better film.
½ February 5, 2012
An incredibly sad ending is in store for anyone who watches it. The fact that this is a true story makes it all the more depressing.
½ April 7, 2010
really liked this movie, our local library had a copy and we borrowed it, 2hrs and 20 minutes worth watching
½ January 4, 2010
Leelee Sobieski gives an Academy Award-worthy performance in the film's title role. Her Joan is believable, sympathetic, courageous, faithful, and true, if, at times, presumptuous and stubborn. Peter O?Toole as Bishop Cauchon, Powers Booth as Joan?s father, Chad Willet as Jean de Metz, Neil Patrick Harris as King Charles VII of France, and Shirley MacLaine as Madame de Beaurevoir deliver standout performances, although all the other players are also superb in their roles. The special effects are above average, and the pacing of the story is superb. The only points lost are due to the film's occasional fast-and-loose playing with the historical facts. . This is a movie the whole family can watch again and again. Charlotte Church?s angelic voice lends an air of the sacred even to the battle scenes.
May 1, 2009
I absolutely love this movie. This has got to be one of my favorite movies. Absolutely amazing movie. I recommend it.
½ April 30, 2009
I watched this movie since I'm teaching a unit on the Hundred Years' War between the English and French. I picked up this flick because I heard it was the better movie depicting Joan of Arc, despite being a TV movie. Although it was long, running 2 hrs and 20 minutes, the movie has enough action to keep it going. Alot of things are done well like the unexpectedly good action scenes and character development. But there are things that are just laughable, such as NONE of the French having any kind of French accents since they all have perfect American California english. As for the English, they could have had a few more actors with accents, so it was tough distinguishing who was an English or French. Peter O' Toole was a great choice as the bishop, but casting Neil Patrick Harris as Charles VII and we're supposed to take him seriously? Well I guess I don't blame them, since NPH was the staple TV actor back in the days, but he was a joke in being the supposed French heir to the throne.
½ April 3, 2008
good movie, can't stand leelee sobieski, she creates an anger inside my stomach that makes me want to strike at her with great force, and i'm not a big fan of that
March 7, 2008
This is a brilliant adaptation of the story of Joan. I loved the music, it has a very emotional and inspiring feel to it. You've gotta borrow it from me!
½ March 3, 2008
This was an excellent presentation of Joan's story, especially when you consider made for TV, but I still prefer "The Messenger" over this.
½ January 19, 2008
I remember seeing this, but it didn't make much of an impression, so I'll just give it a medicore rating~shrug~
November 3, 2007
Believe it or not?this is good movie to watch with a bunch of marines, and a bunch of beer, and a typhoon going outside. . .least when we were in Okinawa, we thought so.
September 29, 2007
One of the top movies in my list, the adaption of Joan of Arc struck gold when casting Leelee Sobieski as the lead!
April 19, 2015