The Inheritors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Inheritors Reviews

August 15, 2008
I found this movie by accident on cable tonight. It was in German with subs, but still very entertaining. No fancy cinematography, no digital imaging, not really much of a soundtrack. Still a very powerful story. Looking at the IMDB, most of the actors in the movie are German and have yet to be in any American movies. Nice to see that there are still simple movies that can rely on the story to be entertaining. I'm sure the budget was next to nothing. Most of the actors appear to be local or theater/stage actors. It's not like I fell in love with this movie, but it was a nice change from the eye-candy-filled hollow movies that are being mass produced as we speak.
June 15, 2007
Poignant and touching portrayal of a group of farm hands who come into unexpected fortune. You come to really empathize with them as they go about holding each other together through misfortune after misfortune. Very uplifting until the hammer just falls and you leave the theater with all sorts of questions about human nature.
August 21, 2014
Excellent morality tale of what happens when the social order in a small Austrian village in the 30s is upset by a bitter murdered farmer's will.
December 6, 2008
its a good movie but a sad movie. very nice.
October 14, 2008
Funny, or bizarrely disturbing? ...I don't know...
August 15, 2008
July 3, 2008
good drama with a twist
June 21, 2008
A sometimes funny yet tragic commentary on the dark side of tradition and culture in this film about the transfer of property from an Austrian farmer to his peasants and the chaos that ensues as these new farmers challenge the balance between landowners, peasants, and the church, and are punished for attempting to do so.
December 4, 2007
It is a good movie, but a bit moralistic. I did like the performances but I have seen much better german movies.
December 3, 2007
A rowdy, bawdy, and clever morality tale about the elixir of freedom and the eternal clash between the haves and the have-nots. (Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat)
½ September 21, 2007
Sophie Rois is such a magnetic actress, this film is a retro-socialist farmers' comedy with a dry tone and a humour that's very particular to Austria (even if dialect doesn't feature), best watched in German.
June 15, 2007
May 31, 2007
A German Tragi/Comedy .
This is a German dialogue film about a group of farm hands that inherit the farm they work on when the farmer is murdered. The farmer was obviously a scoundrel who knew that his will would come as a complete surprise to all; his workers, the other farmers and the whole village. It is set in a time when society was divided all over Europe into two clearly defined groups: the rich land-owning farmers and the poor farm-working peasants. As the dead farmer predicts in his will it will all end in tragedy. The shock and fear of the farm-hands soon turns to excitement and ambition as they set about running the farm. They do a better job then ever before and cause an uprising among other farm workers. They are a rag-taggle group of characters that are very empathetic. But it?s not long before the indignation of the other farmers turns to action and they wreak destruction at the farm and among the workers. In the end the farmers just will not let the farm hands better themselves by continuing to own the farm. This film is both amusing and moving. Its also interesting as the story of the central farm-hand character, a foundling, is revealed and we find out what connection he has to the murderer. It is also sobering to remember that such deep social divides really did exist up until only a relatively short time ago. Overall this film is nothing extra special but it is well worth a watch, particularly if you like foreign language films, which I do.