Black and White - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black and White Reviews

December 23, 2008
Hmmm...I rated this already. Oh well. An interesting movie. Rory Cochrane and Gina Gershon stars. Definitely worthy.
May 22, 2015
Gershon is almost worth watching this junk...almost.
January 25, 2010
Not really ground breaking or anything. The story wasn't all that enthralling, but there were some excellent performances, namely Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. Worth watching if you stubble across it, but I wouldn't recommend spending any money on it.
½ December 21, 2009
The puzzles didn't really fit each other in the end as they missed a stronger link.
August 21, 2009
A movie full of promise, anticipated by an all-star cast, leaves one wondering as to how this movie could be so boring. A central theme true to today's society niches' of young white Americans acting and talking like urban uneducated African Americans was a good idea gone bad. Don't bother with this one.
½ August 5, 2009
I read one of reviews for this movie, written by phillip, in which he questions the worth of the roles played by Schiffer and that "comedian" that shall remain nameless.
I thank phillip for his questions because they forced me to produce answers I may have not examined more closely.

As fragmented and choppy as those story lines were, their existence is more real and true than the rest of the movie. As unnecessary and non-sensical the actions of Schiffer and the detective were, they exemplify how disposable the lives of these folks are to the privileged outsiders. Outsiders that live in estates, and view the world from the balcony of suburbia.

Some, like Sam, simply want an interesting story, or footage for their documentary.
The detective wants something more... he intentionally facilitates the murder of the black college student he entraps, which conveniently provides immunity for his own crimes. Equally as nefarious, Schiffer wants to fill her twisted psychological and emotional void, while playing her part in the death of the fallen.

Everyone takes at some level. The raunchy wannabe kids take what suits their pop culture identity, the women live out their momentary fantasies, the comedian takes a promising life.

As lost the lives of these inner city black men may have been, they were made much worse by the privileged pseudo-bohemians that interlop into their world, and escape in black limousines at the end of the night.
September 30, 2008
Why people trash this movie is beyond me. It's a simple and fun formula of good cop bad cop with character that transcends what most pretty women are cast for. I love the idea of the evil character being a beautiful woman. It's just creepy and wonderful. If you enjoy simplicity and something presented in a plain package this is it.
½ May 7, 2006
One of those films that meant to be much deeper and significant than it turned out, which was uninteresting and pretentious. Very slow moving, few characters that you could care about, poorly edited. Boring for the most part.