Diamonds Reviews

½ March 6, 2007
I love Corbin Allred in this movie. He's just so good! He got his LDS mission papers (telling him where he'd serve) while on set. I think that's pretty nifty!
March 14, 2014
i liked this movie a good Father and Son show ,how can i get a copy of it, i would realy like to have it.
½ February 24, 2004
[size=3]Kirk Douglas, the iconic actor who suffered a stroke in the late 1990s, delivers one of his bravest performances in this movie as a man who has recently suffered a stroke. [i]Diamonds [/i]is essentially a recovery vehicle for Douglas, who delivers his lines with great strain yet still manages to be convincing and moving. Unfortunately, [i]Diamonds [/i]is little more than a showcase for Douglas' efforts, as it is a completely forgettable, occasionally offensive piece of tripe that generates no laughter while it wallows in predictable sentimentality. The plot follows Douglas' character, an aging ex-boxer, as he struggles to learn how to speak again. Not wishing to spend his final years wilting away, Douglas suggests to his rather aloof son (Dan Aykroyd) and his grandson (Corbin Allred) that the trio head to Las Vegas, where Douglas contends he has stashed away some diamonds that were a payoff to him for throwing a fight. Reluctantly, Aykroyd agrees, which sets off another road movie in which three generations of men learn to accept one another, etc., etc. There is absolutely no sense of family bonding or camaraderie among the three leads...we always get the sense we are watching actors, not people who are familiar with one another's personality. [i]Diamonds [/i]has a deplorable sequence in which the three men (or, more accurately, two men and a teenager) stop at a brothel. When Lauren Bacall emerges as the brothel's head mistress, the number of once-legendary stars appearing in this dreadful film rises to two. Kirk Douglas has my admiration for working to overcome his disability. The idea of basing a film around it may have been misguided, but it was certainly interesting. The idea of basing [i]this [/i]movie around Douglas' efforts was a conceptual disaster.[/size]